Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Couldn't resist the NULA any longer... >

Couldn't resist the NULA any longer...

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Couldn't resist the NULA any longer...

Old 11-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Couldn't resist the NULA any longer...

So after tossing ideas around (and asking hundreds of questions on here), I finally called Melvin Forbes today and told him "Well Mr. Forbes...you've worn me down.....Let's order a rifle".

He laughed, and we started talking about the particulars of the build. Here's what I was fairly sure I wanted......

Model 24 left handed

* .30-06 caliber (yeah, I know...boring...but SO versitile!).
* 24" #2 contour stainless barrel.
* LOP @ 13.75" (it's amazing how important this is for proper fit).
* Maple leaf camo pattern on the stock (NULA calls it "CF").

So after we went through all the details, I asked him if he thought that sounded like a pretty well put together setup. His response?
He said, "Not only does it SOUND good....It LOOKS good too....because I'm staring at that exact rifle right now".

I didn't really understand exactly what he meant at first....then he explained. He has a handfull of rifles he takes to trade shows, the NRA conventions, ect......and the EXACT one I wanted to order was already made.

5 1/4 lbs. of exactly what I wanted without the 4-6 month wait!!!

He checked the serial # and said it was a 2008 model, but was exactly the same as what he would build today if that one wasn't still around. I can't help but trust the guy. It's like I was buying a rifle from my father.

Mr. Forbes truly is a cool guy. Humble, yet EXTREMELY confident in the product he makes. He told me "I don't want you to get the rifle and just be ok with it....I want you to wet your pants when you see it".

So....I put some money down on the rifle so it would officially be mine, and Melvin is mailing me their color catalog of all the different stock colors and designs so that he knew for sure there wasn't a different paint design I would like even better than the maple leaf pattern.

What a cool day!

SCHOOLCRAFT

Last edited by schoolcraft; 11-16-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

You'll probably get it and leave it in the gun cabinet cause it's too pretty.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:51 AM
Fork Horn

Nah.....This one is going everywhere with me.

Let's see....King sized bed.....yeah, plenty of room for my wife, me, and the NULA.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like it was your lucky day! Those are some great looking rifles.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

May have to sell the wife and take that baby on a sheep hunt
Old 11-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Schoolcraft,

Now, THAT'S a mountain rifle (5 1/4 lbs.).

His reputation for the hightest quality (ultra) light-weight hunting rifle is unquestioned !!!

Not that it matters: The only thing I would have done differently is got it in 7MM Rem Mag (flatter shooting).

Now for the optics......food for thought ??

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nightfor...fle-scope.html

BTW - take a look at this sling for the mountains.

http://www.mcssl.com/store/specialty...6cbc00bfb3b636

Congratulations...............I am "green" with envy !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 11-17-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks folks...

Sheridan....Can't argue with your love for the 7mm. Rem. Mag. I've used one on occasion with fantastic results. While I did consider the 7mag, I felt like to do the caliber justice ballisticly, it would need a 26" barrel. For the type of hunting I do 99% of the time, a 22" or 24" barrel is SO much more handy, so I decided to pick from the .270 Win., .280 Rem., or .30-06 with a 24" tube.

The option of a stout 180gr. load out of the 06' for the big hogs we have around here and the chance of a future elk hunt swayed me to 06' over the 2 choices.

I REALLY feel like this is a better choice for a "all around" rifle than the .300 Win. Mag. I had Hill Country Rifles build for me.
Which, by the way, is officially for sale.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Sheridan,
That Nightforce scope weighs 30oz.!
I was thinking of something a little more trim.
Maybe a Leupy VX-3 3.5-10x40 or 2.5-8x36. I think they're both around 12 or 13oz., so with Talley lightweight mounts, the finished weight should be around 6 1/4lbs. With 4 rounds in the rifle and a trim sling, maybe around 7lbs. total?

I've bought and sold A LOT of factory rifles, and had 1 custom rifle built through Hill Country and I can honestly say I've never been as excited about getting a new rifle. I just can't imagine ever selling this one.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's the importance of starting with a 5 1/4 lbs rifle.

Scope (insure the quality of the scope, fits the quality of the rifle).

+/- 3X for up close shots and +/- 16X for those long shots

+/- 44MM objective for best "balance" in low light conditions

Last edited by Sheridan; 11-17-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you will be very happy with your Forbes rifle (I sure like mine). They make handy hunting rifles that you will be proud to own. If you have any questions about scopes, mounts, etc. - ask Melvin.
Everyone at the range will want to shoot your rig.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.