Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Rem core-lokt primer disappointment >

Rem core-lokt primer disappointment

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rem core-lokt primer disappointment

Old 11-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rem core-lokt primer disappointment

I was on the bench Sunday shooting a couple rifles. I've shot core-lokt (Rem) rifle shells since I was 14 (27 years ago) and never had problem. First TWO rounds in my tikka 7-mag (150gr) failed to fire. They (the two ftf cartridges) were obviously bullets I had hunted with and handled....slightly tarnished and "old" looking.....but I've only had this gun 3 or 4 years.

Anyway, both went "click" even though the primer was properly dented (although the dent was slightly shallower then that of the rem700 I was also shooting).

I put in some fresh-out-o-the-box shells and no problem. Old or new, I've shot lots of core-lokts and was surprised as heck.

Anyone else have this happen recently????

Last edited by hillbillyhunter1; 11-08-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hillbillyhunter1
I was on the bench Sunday shooting a couple rifles. I've shot core-lokt (Rem) rifle shells since I was 14 (27 years ago) and never had problem. First TWO rounds in my tikka 7-mag (150gr) failed to fire. They (the two ftf cartridges) were obviously bullets I had hunted with and handled....slightly tarnished and "old" looking.....but I've only had this gun 3 or 4 years.

Anyway, both went "click" even though the primer was properly dented (although the dent was slightly shallower then that of the rem700 I was also shooting).

I put in some fresh-out-o-the-box shells and no problem. Old or new, I've shot lots of core-lokts and was surprised as heck.

Anyone else have this happen recently????
It's very possible those two cases got moisture in them and caused the primers not to fire.

I loaded 280AI 3 weeks before the rifle season started and had them pull moisture and delay fire. Out of 20 rounds i loaded, 11 delayed, 2 never fired till hit the 2nd time and 2 never fired. The powder in the 2 N.F's. were stuck together and discolored. I tossed the freshly opened box of primers in the trash. Primers are cheap, losing the deer i've chased all archery season and have that kind of failure is not worth $3. I haven't had a problems with primers till i switched to CCI's after the obama scare.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

you're probably right stapher. I just know that I've always had a lot of bullets around...old, new, found-on-the-floor-of-truck-2-months-later, and never had one do it until now...I'm going to make sure the chambered bullet during hunting season is nice and shiny...lol.