Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Having a hard time deciding on caliber..... >

Having a hard time deciding on caliber.....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Having a hard time deciding on caliber.....

Old 10-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Having a hard time deciding on caliber.....

So the rifle decision is out of the way......

I'm going to have Mr. Forbes build me a left hand NULA model 24 with a 24" barrel for my deer/hogs/ect. rifle. Should be about 6 1/4 to 6 1/2lbs. with scope.

Not going "exotic" with the caliber. It will either be a .270 Win., .280 Rem., or .30-06.

Just to weed out some of the comments I know I'll get......

I know all 3 calibers are fantastic for what I want. They all offer me enough available factory loads to take care of what I want, and I hope to start reloading again someday soon.

I know that no deer or hog will be able to tell the difference when shot with any of the 3 if I put the bullet where it's supposed to go.

Honestly, it's the fact that all 3 are so good that makes the decision even harder.

Let's pretend I don't own a single centerfire rifle and this will be my "do it all" rifle. I'm not really worried about the "what if elk or moose come into play one day", as I would prefer to have something larger than all three of these calibers for that (even though they all would suffice in a pinch).

I've asked a few individuals on this forum for their opinions, and I thought I would open the question up to everyone for some input.

I'm sure many of you at some point faced the same decision between these calibers, so I would like to know what made you folks pick what you did.

thanks,

SCHOOLCRAFT
Old 10-28-2011, 12:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Schoolcraft,

Obviously, you're insane for starting another 270/30-06 thread (I wonder how many there are in the world). I will give you praise for providing the answer to your question though. You know deep down that what you REALLY want is a 280.

Let's be honest, you'll have a harder time finding bullets that don't work than ones that do. The 280 just sets the others gently aside in the debate, because the bullets still perform just as well, though the BCs are often superior. You might as well take that extra little edge for having fun at long range. Plus, 280s are cool. Who wants a 270? Yikes. And a 30-06? That's like saying you wish you were working in a cubicle, listening to a recorded political debate on your cassette walkman. I know a guy with a 270 AND a 30-06. Unbelievable. And to think, he's one of my best friends!! You better watch out. Somebody you know could have both of those as well.

Enjoy your new 280!!
Old 10-28-2011, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Almost seems like a shame to have a gun built like that, only to have it chambered in such "plain Jane" cartridges, and long action to boot. I suppose the 280 is the least plain out of the bunch, but why get a light gun in long action?

If it were me I'd go with another cartridge just to make the gun a little more unique. Also, I'd go with a short action. I reload, so I'm not worried about running to the store hoping to find ammo the day before the season.

Maybe 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Swede, 7x57? Just sayin.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by schoolcraft

Let's pretend I don't own a single centerfire rifle and this will be my "do it all" rifle.

SCHOOLCRAFT
30.06 I've owned one killed some whitetails with it no complants.But in all honesty the 270 & 280 also have good reputations and loyal fans of the two calibers.

In a 6 1/2 lb rifle any one of those calibers are going to have a bit of recoil.Might even feel like more recoil than your 300mag.But if recoil doesn't bother you then that's not a factor.

Just some food for thought...... did you consider calibers like the 25.06 , 260 or 7mm08?..........good luck with your decision.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

.280, Jack O'Connor would be proud...

He killed plenty of elk and several moose with a .270...In his later years when Jim Carmichael was also working for Outdoor Life Jim asked Jack a similiar question...Jim actually was considering a .280 but told Jack he was going with a .270...Jack told him not to do it, "Go with a .280, it's a better caliber"...

My brother has owned one since the mid 80s, does a dang good job...He has killed our deer and bear with but also takes it to Canada and Texas on his hunts there as well...
Old 10-28-2011, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

I have only deer hunted with a .30-06. First a Ruger bolt action and now a Browning BAR semi-auto. I must say, every deer I have hit right with it has dropped in its tracks. Several deer that were hit less than ideal have not run out of sight. Only 1 deer got out of sight and he didn't go far. I love the gun and the caliber. But like I said, I have only ever used a .30-06 so I can't say what the other calibers would do. I do know that with a .30-06, you will not be under gunned for any animal in North America.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Curious why you would build an Ultra Light rifle on a long action ? .280 Remington
Old 10-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

I guess I don't have a truly fantastic answer as to why I want a long action in an ultra light rifle.

The primary place that I hunt is only 7 minutes drive from my house, so I go there A LOT. Probably 3-4 times a week either checking game camera pics or sitting in the evenings looking for hogs to come out (we have tons of them).
I guess I think that the light weigh of the rifle would make it very handy to tote around with me when I go down there.
As far as the long action, it has more to do with the confidence I have in the .270,.280,.30-06 line of calibers. I've never owned a short action caliber, therefore never really had a chance to fall in love with them. I did consider a 7mm-08 in a 22" barrel NULA.
I'm sure it would be a sweet rig....but I still lean towards the long action calibers.
Also, being left handed, it's impossible to find what I want in a factory rifle.

Here's my mode of thinking so far........

If this is going to be my "do everything" rifle, the .30-06 make quite a bit of sense to me simply because I hunt hogs year round and some of those jokers get upwards of 400lbs and are tough. Being able to shoot a stout 180gr. if wanted seems like an advantage. My ONLY concern about the .30-06 is what the recoil might be like in a 6 1/4lb. total weight rifle. The 8 1/4lb. .300 Win. Mag. I have now does not bother me, but less recoil wouldn't hurt my feelings any.

But......the last 400lb. hog I took was with a .270 Win. with 130gr. Hornady Interbonds. Shot through the chest, it ran 35 yards and tumbled. Left a blood trail that Ray Charles could have followed. The bullet did not exit though, which is a BIG plus when having to track hogs after the shot. I have a feeling that a 130gr. TSX or 150gr. NP would have punched through.

The .280 Rem? I simply have no experience with it. I don't think I have EVER heard or read a single negative comment about the round. Just have no hands on experience with it.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I say go with a .22 Hornet. It is all the gun you will ever need, even on elk with a 400 yard head shot.

And, I kid. Of the calibers that you have listed, and I will reply as to the questions that you have asked rather than ask why not another, I would say the .280. I don't have one, and do have a .270 that gets some deer action and has dropped every one she has shot right on the spot, but I would love to have a .280. Funds won't allow a new rifle in the near future, and I am not willing to part with any of the ones that I have in order to get one.

You won't, as you said, be disappointed in any one of the calibers, but if it were me and not you, I know I'd be happiest with a new .280.

As for why build a light weight, long action rifle? Well, that is simple...you know what calibers you have narrowed it down to and you want a light weight rig. It's just that simple.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

"Obviously, you're insane for starting another 270/30-06 thread (I wonder how many there are in the world)."

True.....

"Who wants a 270? Yikes. And a 30-06? That's like saying you wish you were working in a cubicle, listening to a recorded political debate on your cassette walkman.

LOL.....Big Z....I love reading your posts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.