Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Is a bipod the answer? >

Is a bipod the answer?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is a bipod the answer?

Old 10-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Spike

Default Is a bipod the answer?

I have a Winchester Model 70 Ultralight in .270 that I enjoy shooting off the bench. It's not really a bench rifle but what the heck. However my groups (if they can be called that) really suck due to poor recoil management. Will a bipod help my shooting, or is this a case of just needing to improve my technique? I'm trying to justify the 'pod since the Atlas models look really cool. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

a recoil pad may help.

a 270win even in a lightweight shouldn't kick that bad?

a solid rest or bipod may help, im not a huge fan of a bipod on a hunting rifle though.

just get a solid front and rear rest, learn to squeeze that trigger without flinching.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not a fan of bipods when you're trying to shoot for groups. Get some good rests, sandbags work well, that you can set your rifle down into so that its rock solid. If you're recoil sensitive focus on gently pressing the trigger, not jerking it. Get a solid rest with your rifle on target. Keep a good sight picture, and gently touch the trigger. That should help.
-Jake
Old 10-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

The first thing I do when looking to shoot tight groups from the bench, is to remove any bi-pods and slings.

I do use bi-pods on rifles when I use it from a set-up position.

I carry sticks (bi-pod or tri-pod) when I'm still hunting or for spot and stalk hunts.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Practice, practice, practice. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Bi-pods are great for when your hunting but shooting off a bench, i prefer to use a machine style rest and a bag under buttstock. It keeps it rock steady so you can concentrate on breaking the shot without flinching or jerking the trigger.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Harris Bi-pod on my .243, and that thing bounces worse than I do without a rest. Sand bags under the forearm and a bag under the butt (if its comfortable for you) ,will (in my experience) give you better groups.
Though, little if anything beats practice, practice, practice.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll tell you how to fix the problem but most won't do this...I've seen this time and time again and have helped several locals take care of the problem...

Get rid of it and get a .243...For deer and black bear size game, it's all that's needed...

Some folks just don't like recoil, plain and simple...
Old 10-28-2011, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
The first thing I do when looking to shoot tight groups from the bench, is to remove any bi-pods and slings.

I do use bi-pods on rifles when I use it from a set-up position.

I carry sticks (bi-pod or tri-pod) when I'm still hunting or for spot and stalk hunts.
+2. While I use a bipod on my rifle, and I've learned to pre load it to get decent groups, if I'm going for really good groups I take it off and use sand bags.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by handloader1
Practice, practice, practice. Good luck.
Practice will help, but only if you're practicing correct techniques. .270 should be a manageable caliber if you're shooting a gun that fits, and you're correctly positioned on the gun. Get someone to video you while shooting and then review your technique.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.