Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
ultimate elk rifle >

ultimate elk rifle

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

ultimate elk rifle

Old 10-23-2011, 04:00 AM
Typical Buck

If I was to go elk hunting I'd just take my 7mm08. It's plenty of power to kill an elk, and I don't need to buy another rifle.

That's assuming I'm not hunting them in brown bear territory. Then I'd go with something big enough to handle them. Most likely a .338 WM. Killing elk is easy enough, and there are many rounds that will get the job done right. The same can't be said for the predators they may live with.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe your post said ultimate rifle?? Not cartridge??

I personally have a 340 Weatherby mangnum. And it is a real elk killer. So it would be one of the ultimate cartridges. Problem with the 340 is the weight of the rifle.

If I had it to do all over again I would buy a Kimber Montana in 338 Federal. Or the 325 WSM.

I think that would be the ultimate affordable rifle and cartridge selection for an elk rig. Tom.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Should add, that really the ultimate elk rifle is the gun that is utmost reliable, and you can shoot accurately. For me, my Win model 70 stainless classic, with a nice wood stock added, 300RUM fits that bill. For someone else, it may be an '06. If you cant hit with it, or it doesnt function reliably all the time, its not ultimate. Its called closet queen,lol
Old 10-23-2011, 07:30 AM
Spike

best at a long range and PLENTY of power 7mm RM thats my choice. mine is capable of 1000 yds. can i hold that steady? rarely lol but it will put an elk down in his tracks. have done it @ 550. Remington 700
Old 10-23-2011, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by streetglideok
and you can shoot accurately.
This is the most important. You have to put the bullet where it belongs...........in the kill zone. If you heart shoot an elk {or any other animal} with a 270 it's gonna die quickly,if you gut shoot an elk with a 338 it's also gonna die but not too quick and you're gonna have your work cut out for you.

I've seen to many times at the rifle range guys shooting 300 mags that in all honesty....SUCK!!!! 10" "groups" IMO aren't exceptable for hunting accuracy!! They flinch, they close their eyes when pulling the trigger, how can be accurate if your afraid of the guns recoil.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Magnum haters crack me up. Very funny.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Typical Buck

I have elk hunted in WA, OR, ID, CO, MT and WY over the past 25+ years...grew up hunting in some of the harshest elk country in the world around Mt. Adams in WA...and have packed several different rifles on these trips...mostly a .308 or .270...but most recently I have carried my Tikka T3 Stainess Lite in .270 WSM...all 3 have killed elk between 200 and 540 yards just as dead as any .300 or .338...weigh less, less recoil and costs less to shoot.

I have a friend that swears by his .243 for everything he hunts...from deer to yotes and elk to black bear...and he does very well...dude hunts everywhere near year around with 1 rifle...a beat up 20 year old savage in .243 with a cheap a$$ simmons scope...yet he painstakingly hand loads his ammo...LOL

Point is...a nice light, accurate, durable rifle will be more important than one that tosses out big diameter lead.... accuracy is always king.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by emtrescue6
I have a friend that swears by his .243 for everything he hunts...from deer to yotes and elk to black bear...and he does very well...dude hunts everywhere near year around with 1 rifle...a beat up 20 year old savage in .243 with a cheap a$$ simmons scope...yet he painstakingly hand loads his ammo...LOL

Point is...a nice light, accurate, durable rifle will be more important than one that tosses out big diameter lead.... accuracy is always king.
And your friend wouldn't be allowed in most elk camps with his .243. Just because he can kill an elk with it doesn't make it the best choice. If he's dead set on a .243, that's his business but there are a lot better choices out there. If that's all someone can afford or that's their personal choice, then more power to them. I can afford what I want and I prefer to shoot something with more power.

I will dare to say that I shoot my 300 ultra mag better than MOST HUNTERS shoot their 30.06 or their 270. Why, because I practice more than MOST HUNTERS. I know there are a lot of guys that can out shoot me anyday of the week. But it will be someone who practices a lot or someone with a God given talent. I love shooting my 300 ultra mag and I feel it gives me the best rifle for the job.

That being said, I hunted with my 30.06 today. I had a shot and let him walk. I hope I'm not sorry for that latter!!
Old 10-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

At least you got a view of one,lol. Went saturday, and saw nothing. Did hear something big running thru a gulch below me in dark timber, but it never left the woods, grrr. Havent decided if Im taking the 300RUM in the am, or the 45/70. I do spend alot of time here practicing at dragonmans myself, and am a decent shot. Dunno if Im as good as you or as consistant, but may put you to that challenge one day for fun! I know Im going to have to start buying retumbo by the keg though.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
Magnum haters crack me up. Very funny.
+1, I don't care if the RMEF says a 243.win is enough to kill a elk, it's 900lbs animal that deserves to be taken as cleanly and quickly as possible. Any mistake on the shooters part will leave a wounded animal for someone else but, I will leave the fire breathing super boomers for your shoulder Lucky and use my 300Win.

It's good to see back around here Luckydog, I like your new remmy you posted awhile back and just got my custom 700 done and posted some pics of it when you went MIA shorty after.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.