Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Are there any disadvantages to an "ultralight"rifle? >

Are there any disadvantages to an "ultralight"rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Are there any disadvantages to an "ultralight"rifle?

Old 10-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have one of his first 50 NULA muzzle loaders on a model 20 action and a 275gr bullet at 2300 fps actually isnt that bad. The standard Timney trigger is outstanding and tolerances are fantastic. The bare stock weighs 1lb. Mine ready to hunt is right at 7lbs with a sling and scope.

Nosler IIRC uses his actions for testing IIRC too. They are extremely strong for their weight. I would call him too. He nearly always answers the phone.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:37 AM
Fork Horn

Felt recoil will be the worst draw back. Second thing I could see would be if you like shooting at the range a lot then you would have issues with the barrel heating up. I have shot my friend's featherweight 30-06 with 220gr bullets and also shot them in a standard weight. The featherweight felt like I was shooting a single shot 10ga with heavy 3.5" duck/geese load. I am not very recoil sensitive and I do prefer light weight rifles. I sold my Remington Sendero in 300WM because it was to heavy. I now have a Model 7 in .350 Rem Mag. Gun without scope is 6lb. With scope and sling I am now around 7.5lb loaded. A bit less than the 10lb+ Sendero. Recoil is a little stiffer with the .350RM but it doesn't really bother me.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I could afford an ULA I would go with the .284 Win.He makes quite a few in that caliber as mentioned in the Nosler reloading manual.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Had a chance to call New Ultra Light Arms today and talk to Melvin Forbes.
Don't know if I've ever spoken with someone who had as much confidence in their product as him.
He said one of the biggest reasons his rifles shoot just about any bullet weight into a ragged hole in the target is their bedding process. They full length bed the stock with the action and barrel.
He just seemed like a no nonsense man of his word. This guy just might get my business soon.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hate short, light weight rifles if for no other reason then the muzzleblast...I've already got ringing in the ears and a rifle with less than a 22 inch barrel will light you up...When I had my .243 rebarreled I went with a 24 inch tube for this reason...

Now, I'm 6ft 5 and weigh 240 so a standard sized bolt action feels like a light weight to me...
Old 10-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I hate short, light weight rifles if for no other reason then the muzzleblast...I've already got ringing in the ears and a rifle with less than a 22 inch barrel will light you up...When I had my .243 rebarreled I went with a 24 inch tube for this reason...

Now, I'm 6ft 5 and weigh 240 so a standard sized bolt action feels like a light weight to me...
how'much ya bench? lol jk...
Old 10-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not a fan of super short barrels either. In NULA rifles, light weight doesn't mean short barreled. I would have mine built with a 24" barrel, and it still has a finished weight of about 5 1/4lbs. without scope
Old 10-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
do you have one? I've heard very mixed reviews on kimbers...

which cartridge?
Of the 20+ years I was in the gun biz, the last 10 of them included Kimbers. They are GREAT guns and I probably had more repeat and referral customers with Kimber than anyother "upper end" guns. I've shot everything Kimber makes at one time or another but I fell in love with the Montana (.308) in 2004 after a multi-day event at Cody, WY of which Kimber was one of the mfgrs represented there. After the usual 2 days of "formal display, handling, shooting and smoke blown up the you know what" by all mfgrs there, the Kimber reps and I spent a couple of "free hours" with their assemblage of rifles and they kept handing me the Montana because they knew I loved it so much and I was firing it on targets at ranges up to 1000yds. (It's ALOT of fun to fire rifles for hours on end 2-3 days in a row when they are loaded by factory reps and then handed to yourself with a smile! )

Recoil wise, even with the 270/280/30-06 class of cartridges in the Montana, you aren't going to have any problem firing it unless you are just a total mommas boy or have a medical condition. If you have a recoil fear I can fix that, "procure" Mossberg 835 and go buy 2 ten count boxes of 2oz 3.5" turkey loads. Then go fire ALL of them in less than 15 minutes. PROBLEM SOLVED. You'll pick up your deer rifle and think, "MAN this thing shoots as sweet as a 243 auto"!

HL