Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Why NOT to use Barnes TSX/TTSX??? >

Why NOT to use Barnes TSX/TTSX???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why NOT to use Barnes TSX/TTSX???

Old 10-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Todd1700
If these bullets offered any advantages over standard cup and core bullets on whitetails then I'd agree with those saying the difference in price would be of little significance. But they don't. They are not needed for whitetails and do not kill them any quicker. I could easily pay 12 dollars for gallon of milk rather than the average 4 dollars a gallon. Only a 8 dollar difference. No big deal in the grand scheme of things. But if the 12 dollar milk is no better than the 4 dollar milk then why pay more? It's not the cost it's simply the principle of the thing.

And I have no experience with the current X-style bullets but a buddy of mine used them years ago. And the ones they were producing back then did not expand and give the kind of wound channels that standard lead tipped bullets did. I never saw well hit deer travel so far after the shot. Thankfully one year was enough and he switched to Fusions and is much more pleased.
I have NO clue what a gallon of milk costs, thats my wifes dept!
But i know bullets and have killed over 50whitetails and a muley, antelope and elk each with Barnes X, TSX, TTSX & their ML bullets as well as had over a decades worth of customers who i put onto Barnes' who hunted the globe with MLs, handguns, rifles and shotguns. The Barnes WORK!!! If they didnt then why is EVERY bullet maker now building a Barnes style/copy?

Henry Ford built a fine tractor 100yrs ago, but John Deere makes em a whole lot bigger n badder now!
HL
Old 10-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Barnes WORK!!!
So do standard cup and core lead tipped bullets..... at 1/2 the price. So why pay more?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Reading this post got me to thinking about the Barnes bullets. I remembered buying 2 boxes of Barnes Vor-Tx 168 gr. TTSX's in 308 from an internet message board earlier this year. Got both boxes for around $50.

Had to take my rifles out yesterday morning to check the zero and decided to take the TC Icon with me and try the Barnes out. After shooting these I was impressed.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:05 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot barnes TSX in anything that beats 3000fps. In high velocity rounds it is the way to go. I have killed a bunch of big alaskan game with TSX bullets in 168gr 308 out of a 300 RUM and some buddies have used the 270gr TSX in 375. They just work better. I've yet to find an animal that can stop that 168gr TSX out of my 300 RUM. 3 moose, 4 black bear, and two caribou have fallen to that combo. I even went stem to stern on a bull moose at just under 200 yards, thats 5+ feet of heavy animal including some serious bone. I've seen 180gr noslers stopped dead in the spine of two moose. Not that the nosler isn't a great bullet but I prefer the barnes.

A decent hunt up here will cost you more than $1k in fuel alone so I'm not going to worry about spending a dollar a bullet.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Nim
Spike

Default Barnes Bullets

These bullets were recovered from deer at the skinning station at Fort Hunter Liggett a fue years ago. When the lead ban came out these bullets were shoved down our throats if we wanted to hunt deer or pig in { Condor zone } Kalifornia. I think these bullets fed more Condor, Lions, Yoties then we might have thought. If you dont have the right twist they wont fly right a tiney bit of yaw maby, then they dont get the hydraulic to open correctly is my thought. So go with a lighter shorter bullet something your twist can handle and good luck.

Nim
Attached Thumbnails Why NOT to use Barnes TSX/TTSX???-barnes-2-resized.jpg   Why NOT to use Barnes TSX/TTSX???-barnes-3-resized.jpg   Why NOT to use Barnes TSX/TTSX???-barnes-4-resized.jpg  
Old 09-25-2018, 09:28 PM
Spike

Default Limited bad experience

Hey all. New to the sight and a newbie to reloading. Thought the Barnes .270 130 gr ttsx looked intruiging so did some testing in my remington 700 bdl. Found what shot acceptable to me which was under an inch at 100 yds. 59.7 grns H4831. Don't currently own a chrono. Barnes site says should be doing close to 2900 fps. Shot an 8 pointer at 100 yds in mid shoulder cuz only opening. He dropped but got back up and ran towards me and finished him with neck shot at 50 yds. Upon field dressing, yes shoulder was garbage but absolutely no penetration to chest cavity. Thinking it hit him directly on the raised shoulder spline and bullet split in two or blew up but just not confident in that bullet. I know, only one trial but not very satisfactory results for me.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:21 PM
Spike

My first mistake was to heavy of a all copper bullet. 200gr Barnes LRX went through a cow elk and also hit a rib don't think every opened up by the look of rib. Only good thing she ran all the way down the mountain piled up next to field where truck was parked. After that I dropped to a Barnes 175gr LRX 3 elk and 2 mule deer never ran more than 50ft. 2 dropped in there tracks. I am totally sold . 3 times now I have seen Nosler partions fail out in Colorado. Same with the nosler ballistic tip. But then again I am sure people had good luck with nosler I didn't.