Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What would you like to see on outdoor TV shows? >

What would you like to see on outdoor TV shows?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What would you like to see on outdoor TV shows?

Old 08-12-2003, 09:54 PM

Default What would you like to see on outdoor TV shows?

Rocky Mountain Outdoor Adventures is looking for television show idea' s, if you have some idea' s besides the typical Billy Bob private games hunts, and or fishing on private lakes, I would like to hear what you have to say!

No idea is to small, examples, handgun hunting for big game, how to find a game trail, Has there been a show, and you have thought, why don' t they show this, or do that?

This show will appear nationally next year and we are putting show segments together for the 3 and 4 quarter, so if you have hunting, fishing, camping, ATV idea' s, or even break it down even more..reloading, bow hunting tech, any idea, will be looked at by our production staff, e-mail those idea' s to:

[email protected]
Old 08-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What would you like to see on outdoor TV shows?

More real hunting,less high fence hunting.Some of those shows are getting stupid with all those ' canned hunts' you may as well hunt in a zoo.Texas trophy hunters is problably the worst example of these type of shows.That said, I think a show that would use film from its viewers would be kinda cool.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:44 PM
Fork Horn

love to see one in Maine or maybe Vermont, New Hampshire; and don' t show us the end before the hunt begins. I just watched a show where a very large black bear was taken,but there was no suspence t it as the showed the shot before the set up, Then they went as far as showing the bear coming in and leaving several times as to build the suspence.....didn' t work.

Maybe a show on scouting a new area, what to lok for and what to avoid ...topics are endless really. Boils down t something new and different
Old 08-12-2003, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here' s the letter I sent to your e-mail. I' m posting it here too because I felt others might like to see or build on my ideas. I noticed that you posted in every forum on the BBS...I think I' ll save this post in case it' s it' s one of the ones to get axed by the moderators. Spamming, even for a good cause, is a no-no.

Hello,

I have many ideas for what I' d consider the " perfect" hunting show. As of late there are very few shows that I' ll bother waking up early on Sat. morning for. It seems that hunting shows anymore are ads-before-content, money means all, rambo the " expert" hunter/infomercial hosts with more slap-assing than actual hunting. What I DON' T want to see is 3-5 minute clips of canned hunts of captive " trophy" bucks that are practically led out on a leash into the cameras view/field of fire 10 seconds after the camera fades-in. 15 seconds later the guy takes a shot, which is followed by a minute of him high-fiving and slap-assing with his camera man. Then fade to him by the dead buck where he begins talking about how great a hunt it was and thanks a list of 30 sponsors without which there could be no hope of a successful deer hunt. After this we get a 3-5 minute infomercial followed by another 2-3 minutes of " real" commercials. Repeat three or four of these little segments per show.

Here' s what I' d really like to see:

1.) ETHICAL HUNTERS! I can' t stress this enough. Not only ethical in their actions, but hunters who verbally stress the importance of ethical hunting as a means of preserving our hunting rights for our kids. Slob hunters on TV not only offend and drive away knowledgable, ethical hunters, but it also makes their unethical actions seem OK to aspiring hunters. This, in turn, creates more slob hunters who are only in it for the trigger time and don' t know or care about our great hunting tradition and the responsibilities that go with it. Slob hunters on TV also turn people on the " fence" against hunting as well, and fuel the anti-hunting, anti-gun fires. People who were never taught ethical hunting may have no way of knowing that the slob " expert" hunter portrayed on TV, isn' t the way most real hunters are and are despised in the general hunting community.

2.) REAL HUNTS! I know filming a TV show costs a lot of money, and that faster is cheaper is better, but is it too much to ask to have the " expert hunters" pursuing real wild game in a wild setting? I think that a hunting show based on and strictly adhereing to the principles of the Boone & Crocket or Pope & Young " fair pursuit" rules, especially if billed as such to the audience, would go a long way to attract and keep viewers. By stressing fair pursuit and the challenges inherent to those rules, you could capitalize on the idea that the hunter is in competition with the game animal, nature, and himself. The harder the hunt is, the more exciting it is.

3.) Educational, documentary-like, motif to the show. I think that it would be great if the show were structured with much more educational content. Don' t try to cram three or four separate hunts into a half-hour show. Hunting shows shouldn' t be structured for action junkies or ADHD sufferers. Hunters are, by their very nature, patient people who can wait and sit through a few minutes of education content before the shooting starts. I would like to see one hunt per half-hour segment AT MOST. Starting with maybe a brief scene during a preseason scouting trip, where the " expert hunter" explains what to look for in a stand location, or shows the audience what a real rub or scrape looks like, etc.... Then go to a brief segment where he talks about a selected hunting technique, like the how and when to use a certain call, or how to rattle, the proper use of cover scents or pre-hunt scent removal techniques. This could also be the segment where he promos, in a non-infomercial manner, a given advertisers product.

Then the scene could go to the actual hunt where we see the " expert" actually hunting. I would also like to see more scenes that show animals other than the one he' s going to shoot and show and explain different observed behaviors in brief " asides." from the action. Then, at the climax, we' d see a real truly wild animal that doesn' t have to be a mega-bruiser buck, come into the scene, followed by the shot and then, if necessary, showing the hunter blood trailing the animal while explaining tips and techniques for trailing wounded game.

All of these suggestions would apply regardless of the animal hunted. There are many different game animals that could be showcased, along with educational content about hunting the different species or areas of the country. Most hunters are able to only hunt certain species in certain types of terrain because that' s where they live, but would love to learn and possibly someday participate in other hunts that aren' t available to them in their local area. A show like this would allow new hunters, or hunters not familiar with a perticular game animal, to learn as well as whet their appetite (pardon the pun).

Respectfully,

Mike
Old 08-13-2003, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hello,

I have many ideas for what I' d consider the " perfect" hunting show. As of late there are very few shows that I' ll bother waking up early on Sat. morning for. It seems that hunting shows anymore are ads-before-content, money means all, rambo the " expert" hunter/infomercial hosts with more slap-assing than actual hunting. What I DON' T want to see is 3-5 minute clips of canned hunts of captive " trophy" bucks that are practically led out on a leash into the cameras view/field of fire 10 seconds after the camera fades-in. 15 seconds later the guy takes a shot, which is followed by a minute of him high-fiving and slap-assing with his camera man. Then fade to him by the dead buck where he begins talking about how great a hunt it was and thanks a list of 30 sponsors without which there could be no hope of a successful deer hunt. After this we get a 3-5 minute infomercial followed by another 2-3 minutes of " real" commercials. Repeat three or four of these little segments per show.

Here' s what I' d really like to see:

1.) ETHICAL HUNTERS! I can' t stress this enough. Not only ethical in their actions, but hunters who verbally stress the importance of ethical hunting as a means of preserving our hunting rights for our kids. Slob hunters on TV not only offend and drive away knowledgable, ethical hunters, but it also makes their unethical actions seem OK to aspiring hunters. This, in turn, creates more slob hunters who are only in it for the trigger time and don' t know or care about our great hunting tradition and the responsibilities that go with it. Slob hunters on TV also turn people on the " fence" against hunting as well, and fuel the anti-hunting, anti-gun fires. People who were never taught ethical hunting may have no way of knowing that the slob " expert" hunter portrayed on TV, isn' t the way most real hunters are and are despised in the general hunting community.

2.) REAL HUNTS! I know filming a TV show costs a lot of money, and that faster is cheaper is better, but is it too much to ask to have the " expert hunters" pursuing real wild game in a wild setting? I think that a hunting show based on and strictly adhereing to the principles of the Boone & Crocket or Pope & Young " fair pursuit" rules, especially if billed as such to the audience, would go a long way to attract and keep viewers. By stressing fair pursuit and the challenges inherent to those rules, you could capitalize on the idea that the hunter is in competition with the game animal, nature, and himself. The harder the hunt is, the more exciting it is.

3.) Educational, documentary-like, motif to the show. I think that it would be great if the show were structured with much more educational content. Don' t try to cram three or four separate hunts into a half-hour show. Hunting shows shouldn' t be structured for action junkies or ADHD sufferers. Hunters are, by their very nature, patient people who can wait and sit through a few minutes of education content before the shooting starts. I would like to see one hunt per half-hour segment AT MOST. Starting with maybe a brief scene during a preseason scouting trip, where the " expert hunter" explains what to look for in a stand location, or shows the audience what a real rub or scrape looks like, etc.... Then go to a brief segment where he talks about a selected hunting technique, like the how and when to use a certain call, or how to rattle, the proper use of cover scents or pre-hunt scent removal techniques. This could also be the segment where he promos, in a non-infomercial manner, a given advertisers product.

Then the scene could go to the actual hunt where we see the " expert" actually hunting. I would also like to see more scenes that show animals other than the one he' s going to shoot and show and explain different observed behaviors in brief " asides." from the action. Then, at the climax, we' d see a real truly wild animal that doesn' t have to be a mega-bruiser buck, come into the scene, followed by the shot and then, if necessary, showing the hunter blood trailing the animal while explaining tips and techniques for trailing wounded game.

All of these suggestions would apply regardless of the animal hunted. There are many different game animals that could be showcased, along with educational content about hunting the different species or areas of the country. Most hunters are able to only hunt certain species in certain types of terrain because that' s where they live, but would love to learn and possibly someday participate in other hunts that aren' t available to them in their local area. A show like this would allow new hunters, or hunters not familiar with a perticular game animal, to learn as well as whet their appetite (pardon the pun).
Mike...very well put! I agree 100%!

I have one thing I' d like to add. I guess I have a pet peeve when it comes to these shows. I absolutely cannot stand it when they show the hunter trailing his game, and come walking up to in acting like he just found it....and the camera is right where the animal is. It is so staged, and IMO a joke. I would like to see the hunter track and find his animal in " as is" condition. The cameraman should be walking behind the hunter. And I know these days, everyone is trying to be PC, but come on...it' s hunting. Most shows show the shot, many show a slow motion replay numerous times...but they can' t show the animal as it was found??? I have yet to shoot a deer that had no blood on it, and was in the perfect postion for photo' s where I found him. I don' t know, maybe I' m nuts....but it is hunting. I' m not saying it should be all blood and gore, but come one....some of the shows have such staged, pathetic recoveries, it makes me want to puke. I will say, there are a few shows that do have realistic recoveries....at least they look that way(whether they are or not).
Old 08-13-2003, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

No kidding,do you ever notice that they will shoot a deer in the afternoon, its hit hard so it didn' t go far yet it' s pitch black when they get to it.Whats that about.Maybe if they got rid of all the staged tracking it would be light out when they find the deer.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:31 PM

How about some CHIX??? Whats wrong with some bikini clad honeys up front catchin bass on Lake Fork or shooting doves in tight shorts and a cut up Tshirt? Its TELEVISION, hello!!! Make believe, " give the viewers what they want" .

I know the first objection comes from sponsors and that is ONLY because they recieve letters and emails from the bible thumpers that would argue about an Amish swim party! If more of us " HAPPY CUSTOMERS" would comment and praise the companies for such participation and support, there would be less hesitation for such sponsorships. Look at all the flack that Martin Archery is getting for their new ads with that FINE lil archery hottie Lisa Wilcox. I would GLADLY take her hunting/fishing (just dont tell my wife!!!). Despite what the goody goodies say, you CAN have scantily clad women around without it breaking out into an orgy or causing problems. Hell look at the cheerleaders outfits on the sidelines of professional sports. Are they causing us any problems?

Tell me a Mossy Oak ' kini toolin along on a 4wheeler with a dovegun strapped on her back wouldnt be FUN!!!

RA

ps
Remember ESPNs " Fish On" ? What happened to that show? Even my wife watched that show with me. She ABORES fishing/hunting shows because she says they are way to boring and slowpaced. I would think that attractcing new participants/viewers to a show or sport will only help in the long run. Fish On was a very entertaining show. They fished in some great locales, the produciton quality was great and the three bikinis only added to the entertainment of such. If I want to get SERIOUS about my fishing, I' ll hook up the boat and go rip some lips. If I want to get SERIOUS about my hunting, I' ll be in a tree in an hour. TV shows arent a replacement for the real thing IMO, its merely entertainment. Show me a man that doesnt consider pretty ladies as adding to the entertainment and I' ll show you someone that needs their pulse checked!!!
Old 08-13-2003, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I want to see Bill Clinton in an Electric chair and Paula Jones standing at the switch...
Old 08-13-2003, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RedAllison
How about some CHIX???...
...Remember ESPNs " Fish On" ? What happened to that show?...
Here, here! I loved that show and my wife would even watch it with me too! Makes a lot of sense to me. Look at Tool Time with Heidi (or Pamela for those who' ve been watching from the inception). Sex sells and it' s a helluva lot better to see on TV than Rambo gutting another human being w/ a 12" Commando knife.

I think that would work. Call it " Baywatch after Bambi" or something like that
Old 08-15-2003, 07:22 AM

I' d like to see my favorite form of hunting, going after feral hogs with a handgun. It' s the only kind of Texas hunting I can think of where the game bites back. Give one of those TV types a .44 Super Blackhawk and send him into the brush after a 400-pound Hampshire/Yorkshire/Chester White/Poland China cross that is 20th generation wild. It' s a real adrenalin rush, especially if a big sow chases you up a pine tree and you drop your pistol reaching for that first limb. Been there. Done that. Don' t care to go back. But I might like to watch someone else getting chased up a tree.

Quick Reply: What would you like to see on outdoor TV shows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.