Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
I got $600 for my first rifle. >

I got $600 for my first rifle.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I got $600 for my first rifle.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that's quite the anti-Remington tirade above. My question would be "Have YOU had any issues with YOUR late-model Remington 700?"

Don't buy a rifle based just on the brand - be confident that it fits you and its controls and features make sense. I own centerfire rifles from Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, CZ, and Ruger - all solid products. Of the bunch, the Weatherby Vanguard was the least expensive at less than $400.

My vote for caliber would also be the 7mm-08.

Optics can be difficult. I've always used Leupold VXII 3-9s on my hunting rifles, but also use Burris FFIIs on my varmint rifles. I have one old Bushnell as well. None of them have ever failed. I don't own a Nikon, but they're popular as well. For your intended use, I'd stick to a variable in 3-9 and then see what kind of deal you can find on a common-brand scope. Avoid the "sniper" marketing hype that seems all the rage right now. Make sure your scope purchase includes a solid mounting system - cheap Chinese rings and bases will plague you until you replace them.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Make sure your scope purchase includes a solid mounting system - cheap Chinese rings and bases will plague you until you replace them.
+1
They may ruin a nice scope: i've seen scopes bent from using made in China rings.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

I'd look at either the Weathery Vanguard, Howa 1500, same rifle without Weatherby's name on it. Then the Marlin seems to be a good rifle. I have only shot one and it was a nice rifle. As long as we're mentioning rifles with plastic stocks, I hear a lot of good things about the Stevens 200, I think that's what it is called, someone will correct me if that wrong.

Scope. Redfield/Leupold in 3-9x, or Nikon Buckmaster in 3-9x. There's a lot of other good scope avaliable but I mention these two because they are what I use. The Nikon is a bit over $200 and the Redfield/Leupold is around $170. A good set of bases and rings should be well under $100.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

There are a bunch of ways to go if you have plenty of money but if your budget is $700 total for rifle, mounts, and scope here is my first choice. This will offer you by far the most rifle and scope for your $$$$$$$ than pretty much anything else out there.

Howa 1500 with the Hogue stock. Incredibly solid rifle with a very well made forged flat bottom receiver, solid 100% one piece vented bolt, M16 style extractor, three position adjustable triggers, pillar bedded stock. The Howa will run you $400 - $450.

Top it with a Bushnell elite ($250), Burris Full field II ($180), Nikon buckmaster ($210), Redfield ($150), all in 3-9X40. All of these scopes will serve you well and will last a lifetime. And it 99% of all hunting situations you might encounter in you lifetime you will never need anything other than a 3-9X40 (specialized rifles excluded).

Mount the scope with game reaper mounts. These will run you $50 - $60. Some of the best mounts made IMO. and far far better than the Leupold/Redfield standard mounts.

AS far as what chambering to get only two would make my list when all things are considered. Either the .270 Winchester or the 30-06. Ammo is available absolutely any where, is going to be the least expensive to shoot on a budget, and will easily kill anything you would want to hunt on this continent.

Last edited by bigbulls; 10-06-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
There are a bunch of ways to go if you have plenty of money but if your budget is $700 total for rifle, mounts, and scope here is my first choice. This will offer you by far the most rifle and scope for your $$$$$$$ than pretty much anything else out there.

Howa 1500 with the Hogue stock. Incredibly solid rifle with a very well made forged flat bottom receiver, solid 100% one piece vented bolt, M16 style extractor, three position adjustable triggers, pillar bedded stock. The Howa will run you $400 - $450.

Top it with a Bushnell elite ($250), Burris Full field II ($180), Nikon buckmaster ($210), Redfield ($150), all in 3-9X40. All of these scopes will serve you well and will last a lifetime. And it 99% of all hunting situations you might encounter in you lifetime you will never need anything other than a 3-9X40 (specialized rifles excluded).

Mount the scope with game reaper mounts. These will run you $50 - $60. Some of the best mounts made IMO. and far far better than the Leupold/Redfield standard mounts.

AS far as what chambering to get only two would make my list when all things are considered. Either the .270 Winchester or the 30-06. Ammo is available absolutely any where, is going to be the least expensive to shoot on a budget, and will easily kill anything you would want to hunt on this continent.
Excellent advice. When it comes to bang for your buck, this Howa and the Weatherby Vanguard are extremely hard to beat, IMO. Bigbulls has spoken well, yet again.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigbulls

Be hard to argue anything in that post. I will say that in 99% of hunting a 2-7x scope is more than adequate. Very very good post!
Old 10-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

You don't mention where you live or how far most shots are taken in your area. If you are going to hunt out west where long shots are common you'll need to learn how to shoot long range, and a bolt action rifle chambered in .25-06 or 7mm-08 would work good. If you're hunting in "the woods" like most of us, my favorite is the Marlin 336 in either 30-30 or 35 Remington. You can get a Marlin 336W at Walmart for $379, or you could get a 336C with a walnut stock for approximately $459. You also don't need a super expensive scope with a 50mm lens to kill a deer at 200 yards and under. My 336SS is topped with a Bushnell Elite 3200 2-7x32mm. Redfield also has a 2-7x33mm and either one can be bought for about $150. It's hard to beat the price of 30-30 ammo, I buy the Federal for $12 a box. It won't hurt your shoulder or your wallet.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Like the one earlier post. Don't be afraid to check out the used rifles. You can save a lot of money on the rifle and put it toward a good scope. And this time of year is perfect. Some guys just trade their rifles in for something different. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with the one they traded in. A lot of the models previously mentioned will fill the bill nicely. But YOU need to be the deciding factor. Which one feels best to you. YOU have to be confident in your rifle. We can guide you but the choice is ultimately yours. As for chambering - anything from .243 up will suffice. My personal favorite is the 7mm-08 Remington.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't leave out the option of a used rifle. There are often great buys in good used hunting rifles. I would suggest a bolt action in 30 cal. .... something like a 30.06 Spr. or 308 Win. will do great for deer. A 270 Win. is a great choice too. I would not pay extra for a wood stock. Composite stock will do fine. Save room in your $600 for decent scope if at all possible.