HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Barnes TSX or TTSX for deer? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/350454-barnes-tsx-ttsx-deer.html)

schoolcraft 09-26-2011 07:03 PM

Barnes TSX or TTSX for deer?

I'll be using a .300 Win. Mag. this deer season....maybe for good if I fall in love with the caliber.

I just haven't had the time to break out all my reloading stuff this year, so I'll be shooting factory loads.

When checking out Barnes bullets website, they make some pretty impressive statements about their bullets.

I've always HEARD that they had issues expanding on thin skinned game like deer, but some of their videos shot them actually opening fully much faster than regular cup/core bullets.

Just wanted to get some informed opinions about these bullets.

I was thinking about Federal Premium 165gr. TSX's, although I always hear the .300 Winny tends to shoot it's best with 180gr.

Any input would be appreciated...

Schoolcraft

salukipv1 09-26-2011 07:40 PM

I'm not sure if the tip helps expansion sooner or not, either way I'd lean towards the tipped tsx.

My 85gr tsx totally did their job on antelope @250yds from a .243win.

skeeter 7MM 09-26-2011 09:33 PM

I have found no real difference between the ttsx and tsx in terms of terminal perormance on game. My 7mm rm actually shoots the tsx better then the tipped version for some odd reason. I load for a 300wm that use 180 TSX's and recently switched to TTSX (180's) accuracy is on par with the orig. tsx. He's shoot moose, elk and deer with the tsx 180grs and has nothing but great things to say about the bullet.

Another bullet to consider is the Nosler Accubond, they have worked well for me on both thin and heavier skinned animals.

Finding accuracy with either the tsx or ab hasn't been issue for me in dozens of rifles.

FYIW I use Nosler Ballistic Tips for deer in my rem mag, awesome results on big bodied canadian deer.

Good luck i hope you love the winnie!!!!!

HatchieLuvr 09-27-2011 10:57 AM

The tipped bullet was offered simply for marketing. Many of todays "hunters" think they "must have" tipped bullets because Biff and Buffy on Latest & Greatest Outdoors TV Show said they did! :s13:

Ballistics wise, I doubt seriously you'll see any difference between the TSX and the TTSX in your rifle. Performance on game wise, there is NO difference. The Barnes X family of bullets are THE best big game bullets on the market IMHO. I've shot X-bullets in everything for well over a decade and I've NEVER lost the first animal with anything shot with a Barnes, I can't make that claim for anyother bullet in my nearly 30 years of hunting.

The good thing about Barnes is you don't have to go up in weight for weight retention or penetration. From your 300 the 150TSX will penetrate equally and many times out penetrate the majority of 180s on the market. This allows you to shoot lighter bullets for better velocity (spelled better ballistics) without giving up on game performance. The 165TSX would be a mighty good pill for your 300, and honestly for deer if you got some 150s from someone like Conley Precision, you'd still be MORE than equipped. Since 1999 I've shot ALOT of whitetails (30+) plus a muley and antelope each with the .30 cal 150Lazerhead (modified TSX) at 3800fps from my Lazzeroni Warbird and the results are simply PERFECT! Including one double shoulder shot at 27yds on a big buck to a 300yd "TX heartshot" doe that had one hole in each end of her and she went down so quick I didn't see her fall. The bullet simply WONT fail and WONT disappoint you! :woot:

Getchusum, :party0005:
HL

bugsNbows 09-27-2011 01:09 PM

TSX or TTSX= premium. Necessary on deer no, but if your gun shoots them like mine, why not? Two things I NEVER skimp on are bullets and scopes.

skeeter 7MM 09-27-2011 05:44 PM

Devil Advocate here in regards to the lighter/faster arguement. Yes lighter has faster MV, however it also sheds its speed faster and more suspect to drift. Really making it less at ranges where ballistic advantages really matter. I use to follow the religion of load me light and hot, now I load heavier. Ballistically at ranges exceeding 300 yards the heavier bullet is better. Don't believe me though ask any long range, shooter or BR guy what they load, makority will be on the heavier side for caliber. Not busting chops just saying.

jeepkid 09-27-2011 07:31 PM

Neither...you're already over-gunned for deer, no need to buy $50+ a box "premium" ammo...

HatchieLuvr 09-27-2011 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM (Post 3853612)
Devil Advocate here in regards to the lighter/faster arguement. Yes lighter has faster MV, however it also sheds its speed faster and more suspect to drift. Really making it less at ranges where ballistic advantages really matter. I use to follow the religion of load me light and hot, now I load heavier. Ballistically at ranges exceeding 300 yards the heavier bullet is better. Don't believe me though ask any long range, shooter or BR guy what they load, makority will be on the heavier side for caliber. Not busting chops just saying.

No offense taken skeet, but you're talking about punching paper vs game hunting. If i were shooting 10round groups at 1000yds YES id want the 180-200grnrs. But we're talking about 1-2 quick shots max at game and faster means less drop and less compensation for such drop. (as for drift thats a toughy regardless, i dont recommend shooting animals at 400+ yds with anything over 10 or so mph crosswinds. But again speed helps that as well, the less time in flight a bullet spends traveling, the less time wind has to push it around)

Sure weight also retains velocity better but any 150grn .30cal driven over 3000fps isn't going to be lacking for "power" on a simple deer to begin with! I am convinced penetration is MORE important than energy or the proverbial "shock" and the TSX doesnt require weight to achieve deep penetration.

skeeter 7MM 09-27-2011 11:11 PM

Like I said not busting chops just a change in prospective for me personally. I have no quams with the tsx, I support it in fact. On deer not required JMO but it certainly does the job.

In regards to penetration a heavier bullet will retain more energy allowing it to penetrate at further distances as well. In a cup and core or bonded style bullet it maybe be worth noting. In terms of a solid copper I agree dropping grain size does not limit penetration. I have achieved awesome results from the tsx on game much larger then a deer using the lighter/faster thought process.

FWIW I punch paper only to hunt big game. I don't consider myself a long range shooter in the least but will not hesitate if the situation is right to take a longer then average shot either.

Boils down to personal and gun preference. Confidence starts on paper, once tried/tested in the field it grows 10 folds.

skeeter 7MM 09-27-2011 11:22 PM

Over gunned is a matter of opinion. Would a 3006 be considered too much? If not WHY?

I have shot deer with a 338. Too much maybe but it worked just as well as the beloved .270 (in fact produced less bloodshot or waste). For me I just wanted to see what my elk/moose load did on a deer sized critter. Likely never use it again b/c I have other options to chose from for the task. In my region many guys hunt antelope to moose with only one rifle to choose from and what my be overkill on one species might be under on another.