Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

45acp

Old 09-20-2011, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
To each his own. Just google "Problems With Kimber 1911's". You'll read plenty.
Google "problems with ______" (fill in the blank) and you'll read plenty, no matter what you search for. Like granny always said, "If you go looking for trouble, you're bound to find it". I've ran 3 Ford F-150's over 500,000miles, but try googling "problems with Ford F-150", your computer will start smoking...

I've used a Kimber in the past for CMP. Of course it took a few mods (mostly just replacing the beavertail grip safety with a mil-spec profile GS), to get it "street legal" for competition, but other than that, it was essentially race ready. I'm not sure how many exact rounds I ran through it, but I used it for CMP for 2yrs of high school and 4yrs of college for about 20 matches a year (10-12yrs ago), plus weekly practice shoots and more dry fire practice than the law should allow. As long as I did my part to keep her clean, I never had a hiccup. Like any auto, run 1,000rnds without cleaning, and you're asking for trouble.

My 2nd Kimber was a carry pro, heavy lil thing, but also flawless function.

Honestly, conceding that they DID used to have legitimate jamming problems early on, I think most people that are having jamming problems with "modern" kimbers are 1) using the wrong lubricants, 2) not thoroughly cleaning, or 3) limpwristing. Heavier pistols give you a false sense of security in the hand, you don't always realize when you're slacking your grip slightly.

For the record, my 2 Kimbers have been less prone to jam than the Wilson Combat 1911 I shoot for 3 gun, as well as less than my Springfield Loaded 1911 and Springfield Microcompact 1911.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nomercy, that's a very good post. I'm the kind of guy, that once he gets something in his head, it's hard to get it out. I did a ton of homework before I bought my first 1911. I really wanted the Kimber because I wanted the best. After months of homework, I decided that it was a nice gun that needed to be taken to the smith to be reliable. The same went for the 400 dollar Rock Island and the 700 dollar Springfield. It just didn't make sence to spend that much money on a gun and then have to take it to the smith.

That being said by a guy that loves Remington 700's. I have had to take every one of them suckers to the smith!! LMFAO!!
Old 09-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the most important things that you have to keep in mind about reading online reviews is WHY are they posting...

First off, reviews in magazines and their websites, as in sponsored media, will obviously never be unbiased, as they undoubtedly passed a till for writing the review. In all actuality, "writing a review" is more properly called, "advertising". Yes, they might point out some flaws of the product, to appear unbiased, but in general, they'll give a positive review.

Secondly, you consider online consumer reviews. Why do people post online, unsolicited, consumer reviews? It's because they either have something REALLY good to brag about, or they have something to complain about. It's human nature that if you're not happy about it, you're gonna tell EVERYBODY why... So yes, as I mentioned before, if you go searching for complaints, that's what you're going to find.

And then finally, the rest of the online "opinions" are usually simple conjecture by people that haven't actually experienced the weapon. Hell, if I post the question TODAY, "I need a new beginners' rifle?" on this very site, I'm guaranteed to get answers about Savage Edge rifles, with an honest 75% of those answers that have NEVER even fired one, just passing on the rumor and reputation they've heard.

Frankly, back on topic for a second, if you buy a pistol from a reputable manufacturer, you're more than likely going to find 1) it functions flawlessly as long as you keep it maintained, or 2) the company will back up their product if it doesn't function properly.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Comes with a tool that you have to have when taking down.
Not quite true. I have a Tactical Ultra and it can be taken down with out the tool. I'm sure the process can be done on other Kimber 1911 models. Check YouTube or Google videos for Kimber no tool disassembly.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet
Not quite true. I have a Tactical Ultra and it can be taken down with out the tool. I'm sure the process can be done on other Kimber 1911 models. Check YouTube or Google videos for Kimber no tool disassembly.
Thanks for the info.