Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slug Guns

Old 09-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sjsfire
I've been hunting Illinois my whole life. I have 4 slug guns and to be honest they haven't seen the woods in 7 years. Do yourself a favor and consider a muzzloader. You can use a muzzleloader both seasons and they have a muzzleloader season the weekend following the second firearm season.
I agree. You can buy a good quality muzzleloader for less $$$ that will outshoot any slug gun. I used to use a slug gun, but bought a cheap-o muzzy that performed light years better than the slugger and never looked back. Case in point- with my old Winchester slug gun, I might average 5" groups at 50 yards with a lot of recoil involved. With the cheap muzzy- 1" groups or less at 50 yards and 2" or less groups at 100 yards. Every deer shot with muzzy was DRT or recovered a short distance later.

Having said all that, if you are set on a slugger, I would recommend an H&R single shot slug gun in 20 gauge. My hunting buddy has one- we call it "the howitzer" and it is accurate and has brought down deer from 30 to 120 yards. He uses Lightfield slugs.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen a lot of frustrating slug guns, and all have been pumps. Newer Ithaca guns notwithstanding, this is just the wrong system to select for a slug gun.

Bolt guns made like rifles are the way to go. I have a bolt action Marlin 512 that shoots very good groups with a couple brands of sabot slugs. 3" at 100 yds is typical. That's all I need for deer hunting. Used bolt actions like this or the Mossberg 695 (I think) can be had if you look, for not much money. If I had to buy a new slug gun it would be the Savage in 12 Ga. Browning is making their bolt action slug gun again too, but they are pricey.

Why a guy would limit himself to a single shot gun, either slug gun or muzzleloader, is beyond me. We all try to put the first one where it needs to go, but things do happen that can make a quick second shot a blessing. I'd hate to be in need of a quick second shot in regular firearm season, standing there trying to reload a muzzleloader (which I can do in about 30 seconds), while a wounded deer moves out of sight. An unnecessary tracking job is just that.

I do like to hunt with a muzzleloader, in muzzleloader season.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

In my experience with deer hunting i have never had the time for a follow up shot due to the fact that the deer is already gone. and even if i did the chances of a hit are very slim ( the deer is running). I shoot an H&R ultra slug hunter it is a single shot however the savage 220 is verrrrrryyyy nice. If you like the feeling of a second or third round being there than i would go with the savage if not my H&R is just as accurate for half the price.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:12 AM
Spike

My vote goes for the Mossberg 500 with a cantilevered rifled barrel and a 4X scope. I used Remington sabot slugs and at 100 yards bench rest could touch the holes. Killed a lot of deer with that combo; in fact every shot even out to 110 yards was a pass though. However, do a lot of small game hunting as well and it got expensive re-sighting the slug barrel when I changed it out.

I bought an H & R which is just as deadly. Good stand gun but is a bear to carry around.