Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Technical advisers >

Technical advisers

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Technical advisers

Old 09-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Spike

Default Technical advisers

My studio called 4 Corner Interactive is looking into starting a hunting game. Hunters in the game will be able to upgrade sights, camo, guns, etc. We need about 3 people that can aid us in creating charts and lists of guns.

Examples of what you may be asked to help us with:

What would a hunter, just starting out for the first time, use to kill a bear? (noting that: This represents someone who is the lowest level in the game, they should have a weapon that is no where near the right choice)

Lists of the best hunting rifles to use and what caliber is best

More information about this project will be revealed to selected participants after signing a NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement), this game is projected to be sold. This means selected participants may get paid for their assistance. You will also receive a free copy of the game and two extras for you to give away.

Our website: www.4cornerinteractive.com (not finished)
Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know how much help I'd be as far as development goes, but I would make a few comments...

One thing that helps make hunting games relevant is to use REAL firearm models as opposed to generic firearms. It makes a game seem cheesy to me when you are offered choices of ".30-30 Leveraction", ".338 Mag Bolt action", or ".44mag Revolver" instead of offering "Marlin 336 .30-30", "Remington 700 .338 Ultra Mag", or "Ruger Super Redhawk .44mag". Or scopes: "4x40mm Fixed Scope", "1.5-6x42mm Shotgun scope", or "4-32x50mm Rifle Scope" is much less relevant to me than a game that offers a "Redfield 4x40mm", "Bushnell Trophy 1.5-6x42mm", or "Bushnell Elite 6500 4-32x50mm".

The scopes should also have appropriate reticles, zoom factors, and fields of view for their models. A lot of games might change the reticle, but there won't be any difference in field of view or zoom factor. Using a 4x40mm fixed scope with a plex-reticle is VERY different than using a 6-24x50mm scope with a mil-dot reticle (higher magnification, larger field of view, different reticle).

Another relevancy point for me is unlocking gear, and the equipment selection menus. It's a lot more relevant if you get the low down about the hunt before you start a level, and are made to choose suitable equipment before you start. During the hunt, some games have a "quick menu" where you can pop up and change items quickly, but then will offer then entire inventory of unlocked items if you want. That's not how hunting works. If you didn't have it when you left the house, you ain't got it in the field.

I also like games where I am allowed to choose the items I unlock, or "buy". One good option, in my opinion, is to somewhat force a player into choosing between buying a rangefinder and a lower level scope or rifle, or buying a better scope or rifle and NOT having $ for a rangefinder (a choice real hunters face everyday). $ would be earned by exploring the area and finding "experience items", or by completing challenges. Areas should be randomly accessible (once unlocked) so you can go back and repeat areas or hunts to repeat challenges or find more items to increase your $.

Combining these two options, I can really tailor my hunt. For example, I could spend the money on a treestand and a rangefinder, but then I might not have enough $ to buy a decoy and attractant scents, so my cover and accuracy would be great, but my ability to bring game to ME is diminished. Alternatively, maybe I can buy a cheap ground blind, which limits how close the targets will come in, but then I could afford a decoy and attractant scent, so I can draw the targets to a specific point away from me (i.e. real world hunting decisions). Then there's the option of OWNING all of these things, but maybe not equiping them. For example, if there are ducks, geese, whitetail deer, and blackbear in an area, maybe I only have enough room in my pack to take a duck call, a deerstand, and a deer decoy, so I couldn't hunt geese or blackbear without re-entering the area.

I can then also select my TAGS I want to buy for a given area, so I can selectively hunt whitetails and ducks. Purchasing bigger packs to carry more gear could be an option, or buying an ATV to help transport stuff, but it should come at a price. The more you carry, the more it wears on your body, which will wear on your accuracy, and make you harder to conceal.

On Easy mode, a hunter should be allowed to select the tags, then their equipment would be autoselected for them based on those tags. Hunters could CHANGE their equip items, but with the auto-equip, then younger kids could play even if they don't have experience hunting different animals.

Short Narratives/descriptions should accompany every equipment item in the menu, to educate the player to their application.

When set for "Hard", the hunter should be forced to estimate wind and range. If you "own" and equip a rangefinder (which could incorporate wind readings as well), then glass your target, the hunter would be allowed to hold dead on his target and fire, as if he's adjusted his scope according to range and wind already. If the hunter chooses NOT to rangefind the target first, he'd be forced to "hold over" on the target to account for his estimations of wind and range. The background should have cues for windspeed, and proportionate scaling should allow a reasonable range estimation. I've never seen a hunting game that required ANY level of marksmanship ability, once you find your game, it's mostly just point and click (or they make your scope screen really bouncy "to simulate a shaky shooter", which is retarded). Marksmanship skills are an important part of hunting. You not only have to FIND your target, but you also must properly place your shot according to the environmental conditions in the field. It would be neat to see a game that a hunter could gain marksmanship experience by practicing at a shooting range (like a REAL shooter/hunter would do), which would make his weapon more accurate, giving him a longer range, and a more stable scope screen.

Also, the game scenery shouldn't be so dense that you can't see your game until it's too close. Many games out there now are that way, where you're within 20yrds of your target before you can see through the scenery well enough to see the target animals. There's no point in carrying a rifle if you can't shoot more than 20yrds anyway.

Also, please check your boundaries and edges for "traps", and make your game "maps" reflect the edges properly. There are few things more annoying in a game than getting stuck between a tree, a downed log, and a edge boundary.

I really didn't intend to write this much, but apparently I had a few ideas about games that I didn't know I had!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:52 AM
Spike

wow. Thank you, will definitely take this info on. Mind if we PM or email you later?
Old 09-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Knock yourself out. Send me a PM, I don't know how much help I'll really be, but I'll do what I can.