Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
How to make an H&R 243 shoot half decent? >

How to make an H&R 243 shoot half decent?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How to make an H&R 243 shoot half decent?

Old 09-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default How to make an H&R 243 shoot half decent?

I just got back from the range today and tried many different types of ammo through my H&R 243 heavy barrel and the best i could do at 100yrds was 2 1/2 -3'' groups! I tried hand loads, factory Hornandy SST's, Coreloks you name it and it still shot like crap. I have it scoped with a Sightron III scope. I checked the lockup and its tight. I know the triggers are for crap but 3''? I can almost do that with my crossbow! LOL Any ideas or pointers on what i or a gunsmith can do to improve accuracy?
Old 09-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

I also have a heavy barrel H&R in .243. It also took me awhile to find a load that shot in it very well. I probably tried like ohhhh 30 different load combinations before I found a good one. I now have 4 different loads that work well in mine...but it doesn't mean they will in yours. This was one of the pickiest of all my rifles to load for...but it does shoot below 2" groups @ 100 now...the loads are...

80g Hornady FMJ, pushed with 38g of IMR 4064, Remington 9 1/2 primers...Winchester Brass

55g Nosler Ballistic Tip, pushed with 43g of IMR 4895, Rem 9 1/2 primers....Win Brass

90g Nosler Ballistic Tip, Pushed with 37g of IMR 4895, Rem 9 1/2 primer...R-P Brass

100g Nosler Partition, pushed with 41.5g of H4831, CCI primer....R-P brass

Not sure what loads you have worked with...but I definitely got the best results fro IMR 4895, H4831 and IMR 4064...I also had consistently better results with Remington Primers. I can consistently get under 2" groups @ 100 now (I know, nothing to brag about...but what do you expect for a rifle I bought new for under $180!)

All I can say is keep at it! If you want sub-MOA though...I recommend spending a bit more $$ than what that H&R set you back...don't get me wrong, I own 2 of them (223 and a 243) and like them both for what I use them for, but they are not going to be as accurate as my Remmy 70's or my Tikka...or my A-Bolt's...but I also paid 3-5X as much for them too.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:34 AM
Typical Buck

I understand about the guns not being that accurate but why? By design it should be. What can I do to make it more accurate? Lap the barrel? True the reciever?
Old 09-05-2011, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not trying to be a smart arse but if accuracy is your goal, sell it and get something else.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
I'm not trying to be a smart arse but if accuracy is your goal, sell it and get something else.
I have a Ruger M77 in Win 338mag with work done to it and a Savage in rem 7MM and both will consistently hit coke cans @ 200 YRDS. I would just like to know where the inconsistency and inaccuracy is at in H&R rifles. Again, is it the lockup, barrels??
Old 09-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure. I do know that I have heard folks say they had a shooter but I have heard a lot more say they have had nothing but bad accuracy with theirs. I had a .223 that was very inconsistent. I sold it quick. If you google it, you will read more bad reviews than you can shake a stick at. In my opinion, the old saying that says you get what you pay for, applies here. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Colorado Luckydog
I'm not sure. I do know that I have heard folks say they had a shooter but I have heard a lot more say they have had nothing but bad accuracy with theirs. I had a .223 that was very inconsistent. I sold it quick. If you google it, you will read more bad reviews than you can shake a stick at. In my opinion, the old saying that says you get what you pay for, applies here. Good luck.
What? I paid $174.00 for it and thats a pretty penny. Just kidding. Funny thing is I bet i pumped that in ammo through it in on session at the range. LOL I think I am going to try and accurize it LMAO!!
Old 09-05-2011, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

Truth is I am taking my son on a mulie hunt in Idaho in Oct and the gun shoot well enough to kill a deer at 100-150yrds i just would hate to have to second guess a rifle on a shot. Especially on where we are going on an outfitted hunt. I would let him shoot my Ruger but its just to big for him.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Bed the scope rail - Get an AcraGlas Gel bedding kit from Brownell's. Basically just remove the scope rail, clean/degrease everything, and give the barrel a coat of release agent. Lay the gel under the scope rail so there's plenty to form a solid 'bed' between the rail and the barrel, then install the screws and tighten them down. This makes sure the scope rail wont have any movement or flex.

You can mess around with the trigger, I've never done it with this rifle, but here's a sight that may help. http://www.perkloafm.com/downloads2.html It's got a couple of things you can download that tell you how.

Another thing could be the drop time on your hammer, and I don't know how you could change that. Just make sure your shooting with proper form and proper follow through

You can also probably float your barrel and bed the forearm, but once again, I've never done that on this rifle.

Hope this helps, my experience is limited as I was only helping a friend get his shooting a little better.
-Jake
Old 09-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Bed the scope rail - Get an AcraGlas Gel bedding kit from Brownell's. Basically just remove the scope rail, clean/degrease everything, and give the barrel a coat of release agent. Lay the gel under the scope rail so there's plenty to form a solid 'bed' between the rail and the barrel, then install the screws and tighten them down. This makes sure the scope rail wont have any movement or flex.

You can mess around with the trigger, I've never done it with this rifle, but here's a sight that may help. http://www.perkloafm.com/downloads2.html It's got a couple of things you can download that tell you how.

Another thing could be the drop time on your hammer, and I don't know how you could change that. Just make sure your shooting with proper form and proper follow through

You can also probably float your barrel and bed the forearm, but once again, I've never done that on this rifle.

Hope this helps, my experience is limited as I was only helping a friend get his shooting a little better.
-Jake
Good advice if you really want that gun to shoot, at all cost. I'd just be careful in how much work and money I spent, trying to polish a turd.

I'd sell that sucker and buy a used anything or even a Savage. I can't believe I said to buy a Savage!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.