HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   come back of the side by side (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/34916-come-back-side-side.html)

tree hunter 08-09-2003 06:23 PM

come back of the side by side

side by side shot guns or double barrle are becoming very popular again for upland shooters i have one myself and i love it now im refinshing the stock on it . i have a friend that whants to buy a pump but prices are high. i wonder if the trend in side by sides will cause a fall in prices of regular shot guns. Does anyone think so?

Forestore 08-09-2003 06:46 PM

RE: come back of the side by side

hard too say, i own two of both and I would have too say my side by sides are my favorite over the pumps.

whelen36 08-09-2003 09:37 PM

i can' t remember the last time another action type caused the price of another to go down , i' ve only seen the more inexpensive ones go up. :D

and the side by side is one of my favorites too. as that' s the first shotgun i learned to shoot , my grandfathers old side by side stevens 12 guage. i remember the first time he had me fire it , he wanted my to get used to the recoil so he set up a paper target on our old manure pyle and had me shoot away at it , supervised by him of course :D:D

Vapodog 08-09-2003 09:52 PM

I too love a side by side.....and I' m recommending a SKB 385 sporting clays model

I have a 12 Ga and a 28 Ga and love both of them.

MR300WM 08-10-2003 07:04 AM

I have two, a Savage Fox 12 gauge and a Stevens 311 16 gauge.

oldelkhunter 08-10-2003 01:57 PM

After shooting pumps,autoloaders and o/u' s for many years I finally bought a quality side by side and am in love with it...should have bought one a long time ago when they were cheaper....

Deleted User 08-10-2003 04:24 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

seattlesetters 08-13-2003 09:35 AM

I shoot a double, also, and I can tell you that nothing feels (or looks) better in your hands than a slim little English-stocked 20-bore that weighs about 5 1/2 lbs. Mine is a sidelock with hand-detachable locks and a pretty nice piece of wood.

I must admit that I feel pretty darn good when I uncase it and let my best setter out of the rig for a day' s hunting or a field trial. Everyone who is around gives a knowing nod and an envious smile...you can almost see the wheels turning in their heads trying to figure out how they can justify it to their wives.

Nomercy 08-13-2003 09:21 PM

I don' t think that we' ll notice a decline in the prices of ' regular' shotguns, especially from the point they are now, the reason that more and more guys are opting for SxS' s is because there are more and more inexspensive models available, and everyone is in love with the past, grand-dad had a SxS....Personally I think they balance a whole lot better than O/U' s (usually, some models suck in SxS' s and some are amazing in O/U' s), I never really need more than two shots (unless I' m rabbit hunting) and the ol' fashioned feel it gives a hunt is REALLY appealing.

Zeak 08-18-2003 05:10 PM

I have 3 Fox Savages, 12ga,20ga,and 410. Love all 3 and have pumps and autos. Take them double troubles any day over the rest. Zeak

Split-Hoof 08-18-2003 05:37 PM

I have a 20 gauge Savage SxS that I absolutely love. It was handed down to me by my father, and after shooting it I never wanted to use a pump again. I find when I browse through most sporting stores, there is a lack of SxS' s to choose from, but all kinds of O/U' s. I just don' t like the feel of most O/U' s compare to a good SxS. Perhaps it' s because it' s what i am used to, but I don' t see myself ever switching to anything else.

I liked the feel of the Stoeger SxS' s I have seen, but have heard the overall quality is only so-so. Any Stoeger owners out there?

seattlesetters 08-18-2003 09:46 PM

Stoeger sucks. Get an Antonio Gil for a bit more money and experience the feel of a real double.

liquidorange 08-19-2003 06:35 PM

seen an add in the magazines for a remake of the the side by side stevens shotgun. i think its the model 411. looks classic with a couple sizes to choose from. they list it at 6.5 lbs pretty cool!