HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   270 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/34912-270.html)

tree hunter 08-09-2003 05:51 PM

I just got a used 270 limited edition model 7600 pump with black laminated stock i' ve only shot it twice and i love it. i whanted to know if the gun is less acurate since the fore arm isn' t connected to the stock.

whelen36 08-09-2003 06:29 PM

RE: 270

congratulations on your new purchase ,
accuracy depends on more than just if the forearm makes contact with the barrel ( i think that' s what you meant buddy :D:D )but it does play a major , major role , does the forearm wiggle at all or is it a solid connection, it also depends on how the trigger pull is , and how the barrel is inside at the lands and grooves , and throat. does the barrel have a crown and if so what condition is it in. :D:D

if it' s in good condition it should be a great shooter but , it wont be bolt action accurate :D:D:D

BareBack Jack 08-09-2003 06:53 PM

Tree Hunter,
They are very accurate,they have almost a free floating barrel.I have a 30-06 sprng. in the older 7600 Gamemaster Monte Carlo.It was made back when guns were made of real steel and wood.has some heft to it.My father bought for me when I was 13.I have a 4x fixed scope,that same rifle made a 383 paced off shot on a antelope buck when I was 14 it was one of shots that when it hit him they kinda lay down,it was beutiful

BareBack Jack 08-09-2003 07:00 PM

Wheelen36,
They will rival many " Bolt Guns" .The 760,7600 have a very tight lock up due to a roatating bolt.The end of it looks more like a screw.They do get inacurate after time with eccesive shooting, they wear out.
The only thing that has gone wrong with the gun is when me and a freind were deer hunting in deep snow and he dropped the clip in the snow and got snow packed over the pin and it did not fire.

whelen36 08-09-2003 09:25 PM

barebackjack ,
i didn' t mean they aren' t accurate , when he asked about accuracy and didn' t mention how his groups were after he shot it , and mentioned that it was used and questioned about the stock and forearm possibly causing it to be less accurate that he might have had a problem , ( or at least that' s how i took it ) so i mentioned some things that could be the problem.
and yes they' re great shooters , i know that first hand , and i know they have a rotary bolt lock up , as i' ve owned 2 remington pumps , a model 7600 in .270 win. with a walnut stock and pressed checkering , which i traded ( and i still wish i had her , she was my first .270 ) for a browning lightning blr in .270 win. . another rifle with a rotary bolt lock up. and i still have a rem. model 760 gamesmaster bdl with montecarlo cheek piece stock and basketweave checkering in .308 win. :D and yes they' re great shooters but , when it all comes down to it , the bolt action will win the accuracy contest , there' s so much more you can do to work on a bolt to improve it than you can to a pump :D:D

Vapodog 08-09-2003 09:57 PM

A friend of mine owns a .270 in a Remington pump.....It' s as accurate as any bolt I' ve ever shot.....

James B 08-10-2003 12:17 AM

I had one of those. That gun would group three shot in one inch at 200 yards every day. It was one of the best shooting guns I ever had. I used Nosler Ballistic tips in it 130 grain. At the time I was selling guns so I sold it. I took in on a trade and kept it for a couple years. I plan to get another one very soon. With my bad shoulder a pump or auto is all I can use real well.

Pro-Line 08-11-2003 04:08 AM

That' s the gun I deer hunt with most of the time. I' m a lefty, and so is my 760. Mine' s in .270, too. I like the fact that mine will shoot any ammo accurately enough to hunt with. I' ve yet to find a brand of ammo that it won' t shoot a 1 to 1.5MOA group with.

Gotta love that!

Deleted User 08-11-2003 07:57 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

skeeter 7MM 08-12-2003 11:23 AM

Having started with a 760 in 308 and then 7600 in 3006 I can tell you it is plenty accurate enough to hunt game with. It won' t be bolt action accurate but should provide you with decent groups. Make sure to put a good set of mounts on it if you do scope the gun, that is one area I noticed affected my accuracy as I started out with the over/under(see thru) style mounts thinking it was wise, AT THE TIME[:' (]! Once I switched to solid mounts my groups reduced and I learned a lesson the hard way, if you want irons then don' t put a scope on the gun, if you want a scope then use the scope and trust it!!