HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   .243 wssm? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/348608-243-wssm.html)

Nomercy448 08-23-2011 10:02 AM

.243 wssm?

I'm looking to replace the barrel on one of my 6.8mm SPC AR-15's, and I'm thinking about trying out a .243 WSSM this time around for even more oomph and better BC's (albeit at an increased powder cost).

How well are the WSSM AR-15's feeding? Obviously it's going to be a single stack mag proposition, but even then, are they really feeding reliably?

This is a rifle I primarily use for deer and coyotes, and a little paper punching.

Nomercy448 08-23-2011 10:58 AM

Actually, I'm still torn between the .234 WSSM and .25 WSSM. Having the extra bullet weight, and getting a bit better barrel life from the slower .257" version is kinda alluring...

But again, it's still a question of how well these fat little cases with the super steep shoulders will feed without modifying the feed ramps?

emtrescue6 08-23-2011 02:20 PM

I have heard a lot of people rave about the 25 WSSM AR-15's being build by Rock River...that's all I know. I have a 25 WSSM in a Browning A-Bolt and love it! 25-06 performance in a case 2 actions shorter!

salukipv1 08-25-2011 05:53 PM

don't want to take over this thread, but is the jury still out on the WSSM's?

Are they here to stay? are they gaining new popularity on the AR15 style platform?

Is there a best WSSM in your opinion? If so which/why?

Nomercy448 08-26-2011 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 3838765)
they feed well, when the action cycles once the casehead clears the feed lips of the mag, the bullet is started in the chamber, not much else it can do. if ya want a 25wssm in an AR its pretty much a reload proposition, 1 factory load out of 4 is all that will fit the mag.
Not just a barrel swap, ya need a bolt, barrel extension and the upper needs some mods.
RR

What upper mods need to be done? I was somewhat expecting to need to open the ejection port, but I'm not 100% sure that's a necessity.

I'm having a BIT of trouble finding a "real" barrel maker, Shilen and Krieger won't make them. Dedicated Technology MIGHT. At any rate, I'm planning to buy a matched/headpaced bolt and barrel, with the extension already installed. I reloaded every shot fired from the 6.8 SPC, so reloading (deep setting) the .25 WSSM wouldn't be much of a change of pace. Kinda sucks that WSSM brass is only available from Winchester (and half of THAT is nickel plated).

So I may be stuck going back to another 6.8 SPC. I'd really like to step it up a notch and extend the range of my favorite AR, but I'm getting fits trying to get the ducks in a row!

Nomercy448 08-26-2011 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by salukipv1 (Post 3838827)

Are they here to stay? are they gaining new popularity on the AR15 style platform?

Personally, I'm leaning towards the .243 WSSM over the .25 WSSM. I don't see MUCH point of the .223 WSSM. It brings the same issues that the .22-250 and .220 Swift bring, yes, you get slightly more range, but at the expense of barrel life. I'm quite happy to stick with a .223 rem, and use a heavier bullet to get improved range, not just a faster one. 4,000fps seems cool on paper, but it's a whole lot of headaches that I don't want.

The .243 WSSM is still a bit of a barrel burner, but compared to the .25 WSSM, it's offering better BC's. The .25 WSSM should have the best barrel life of the 3, but it does sacrifice a bit on the BC side. It is nice having a little extra bullet weight and slightly more diameter, but I'm not certain there's anything the .25 WSSM can do that the .243 can't. For me, the better BC balances out the smaller bore.

Howler 08-27-2011 06:25 AM

I've got a D-Tech built .243 wssm. with a Shilen barrel. Went with 22" plus Mike's integral comp. on the end. Fluted full length with black moly coat. It has given me zero feed issues and I've used it on antelope and coyotes, although I have a couple other D-Tech's in smaller cals. that I normally use for coyotes, but just had to try the wssm. on'em for the heck of it.
The primary issue that guys have at first with the wssm. is that they don't get the shoulder's bumped down enough when reloading, which ends up preventing lock-up and non-firing and tough ejecting issues. Once a guy learns to set up his reloader machine to cam-over hard on the brass, that issue goes away. The brass is thick, I've never seen any brass thicker, so it needs a little more attention with reloading.

As has been stated, call Mike Milli at D-Tech and he'll answer any questions ya got. Keep an eye out and a guy can probably pick up a used AR .243 wssm. in due time. I see on predator masters from time to time.

I've reloaded down to 55 gr. bullets and upto 85 gr. bullets and have found decent loads for everything.

Nomercy448 08-27-2011 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 3839235)
Nomercy, I think the ejection port needs opened up.
Not sure if you can buy the parts, I know oly won.t sell them, or at least they wouldn't a few years ago.
Email Mike Milli of Dedicated technologies ( [email protected] ) he can give you much more accurate info.
As far a superiority of one over the other, when limited by mag length as they are, not gonna make any difference, BC helps beyond 600 yards, less than that and it mostly imaginary.
RR

I tried calling DT this week, just hadn't gotten through. Seems like they're the only ones in that game.

600yrds is exactly why I'm wanting to step it up a notch from the 6.8 SPC and .223rem. I love the AR-15 platform, but it'd sure be nice to have a true 1,000yrd range out of it.

Howler 08-28-2011 07:43 AM

.204 on top, .243 wssm. on bottom. You can see the difference in ejection port size.

emtrescue6 08-28-2011 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by salukipv1 (Post 3838827)

Well they have been around almost 20 years now...so I suspect they have some staying power.

I looked forever for a 25 WSSM in left handed and absolutely glad to finally found one...it's a pleasure to shoot and more accurate than I am. Once you get the shoulder bumping issue settled, reloading is easy and have had no issues.

Looking forward to testing it out on whitetails this fall with 110g Nosler Accubonds...along with my 270 WSM also pushing Accubonds (140g).

I have a friend who hunts whitetails here with a 243 WSSM and he loves it...can't tell you which one I prefer yet...but so far I love the 25.