Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Are The new 750 WoodsMasters better then the 7400 semi auto?? >

Are The new 750 WoodsMasters better then the 7400 semi auto??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Are The new 750 WoodsMasters better then the 7400 semi auto??

Old 08-21-2011, 01:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Are The new 750 WoodsMasters better then the 7400 semi auto??

Thinking if getting one of the new Remington 750 Woodsmaster in 308 Win. Carbine to replace my Winchester Model 88 308 Win.

How are the new Remington 750 Woodmasters? I've read if you keep then clean they run for ever. What say you??
Old 08-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

Was thinking about buying the .308 carbine as well - would like to know what others have to say.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Fork Horn

Driving to my dealers this morning I kept going back and forth between the 750 Woodsmaster Carbine 308 Win. and the 7600 Carbine 30-06 Spr. I just couldn't take the chance on the 750 Woodsmaster. I had him order me the 7600 Carbine. Should be here in a few days. The last 7600 Carbine I had was a shooter, wish I never got rid of it!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

I just bought a new 7600 for a toy. (7mm-08 "Kool Blue" edition from Grice) I'm sure you'll love the quick feel of the carbine 7600.

I'm not tryin to knock the Rem autos, they are good guns but I just can't see picking ANY big game auto rifle over the BAR or Long/Short Trac.

You did right imo,
HL
Old 08-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
I just bought a new 7600 for a toy. (7mm-08 "Kool Blue" edition from Grice) I'm sure you'll love the quick feel of the carbine 7600.

I'm not tryin to knock the Rem autos, they are good guns but I just can't see picking ANY big game auto rifle over the BAR or Long/Short Trac.

You did right imo,
HL
My heart tells me the samething!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you want a Semi Auto spend the money and get a BAR. You'll be glad you did in the long run.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know this post is a few weeks old, but I just saw it.

I do not own one of these, but a good hunting buddy bought one 2 years ago and has had nothing but problems. He bought one in .243 and right out of the box, after each shot when loading the new shell into the chamber, the bolt wouldn't close all the way and he'd have to push it forward. He took it back to the gunshop he bought it from and their only suggestion was to call Remington. He called them, and they told him it would be at minimum 3 months turn around time. So essentially the rifle he'd just bought to hunt with, would have to be getting repaired the entire hunting season and possibly longer.

So he decided to work on it himself. It was determined that it had a rough chamber with a burr in it. After they got that fixed, he went to sight it in. His problems really started now. It was shooting all over the place with any ammo he tried. It just shot horribly, and I know it wasn't him as he is one of the best shots of our group of hunters. He finally got it to where he could kill deer with it, but it still shot all over the place, and imo it's not accurate enough for him to actually take hunting. He missed at least 1 deer I know of shooting at it, and this is a guy that I've never heard of missing. Why he took it hunting like that I have no idea.

This combined with the experiences I've had with newer Remingtons, just has completely turned me off from them.

Another friend has a .243 Remington 7400 which is what inspired him to get this one. It's worked great for many many years. It's not the most accurate, but it's reliable and has worked well with lots of abuse. This past year it did start acting up and shells sticking the chamber and the extractor slipping off, but I bet it's because the chamber is either gunked up, or rusty. It's been a decent gun.

IMO however, if you are going to go with a semi auto the BAR or the Benelli R1 are the only two to even consider, and from personal experience I wouldn't expect the BAR to be all that accurate, but it should be good enough for deer with ammo it likes.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
I know this post is a few weeks old, but I just saw it.

I do not own one of these, but a good hunting buddy bought one 2 years ago and has had nothing but problems. He bought one in .243 and right out of the box, after each shot when loading the new shell into the chamber, the bolt wouldn't close all the way and he'd have to push it forward. He took it back to the gunshop he bought it from and their only suggestion was to call Remington. He called them, and they told him it would be at minimum 3 months turn around time. So essentially the rifle he'd just bought to hunt with, would have to be getting repaired the entire hunting season and possibly longer.

So he decided to work on it himself. It was determined that it had a rough chamber with a burr in it. After they got that fixed, he went to sight it in. His problems really started now. It was shooting all over the place with any ammo he tried. It just shot horribly, and I know it wasn't him as he is one of the best shots of our group of hunters. He finally got it to where he could kill deer with it, but it still shot all over the place, and imo it's not accurate enough for him to actually take hunting. He missed at least 1 deer I know of shooting at it, and this is a guy that I've never heard of missing. Why he took it hunting like that I have no idea.

This combined with the experiences I've had with newer Remingtons, just has completely turned me off from them.

Another friend has a .243 Remington 7400 which is what inspired him to get this one. It's worked great for many many years. It's not the most accurate, but it's reliable and has worked well with lots of abuse. This past year it did start acting up and shells sticking the chamber and the extractor slipping off, but I bet it's because the chamber is either gunked up, or rusty. It's been a decent gun.

IMO however, if you are going to go with a semi auto the BAR or the Benelli R1 are the only two to even consider, and from personal experience I wouldn't expect the BAR to be all that accurate, but it should be good enough for deer with ammo it likes.
remington uses a hammer forging process which creates the rifling, outer profile of the barrel AND the chamber. this makes a burr in the chamber impossible unless there was a problem with the mandrel and the chamber needed to be recut this is unlikely considering the time it takes to fix a chamber is able twice as long as it takes to simply make a new barrel. the chamber will still have a apparent "cut grain appreance" because of the required after honing, this could have been bypassed or forgotten on your friends rifle (im guessing the latter was the original problem). your friend may have butchered the chamber of his gun causing the accuracy issues. no matter what process is used, chambers arent often left with burrs, contrary to what most forum guru's will tell you. im saying this out of experiance (machining, not really gunsmithing), reamers cut clean unless they are dull, in that case they will tear the walls of the chamber leaving a bad finish but rarely is the tear bad enound for a burr to occur. same thing happens if you use the wrong speed, feed or cutting fluid but chatter is much more likely in these cases. the only place ive ever left a burr in the hundreds of bores ive reamed is at the end of the cut. this would be the throat area of a reamed chamber. a burr there wont cause failure to feed.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure other than that's what he told me they found with it. That said, he tried shooting it right out of the box with it jamming every shot, and just manually pushing the bolt closed, and it still was very inaccurate, so I don't think them cleaning up the chamber was the cause of the accuracy issue.

That said, I just assumed they knew that it was a burr since that's what they said, and after they worked on it, it no longer jammed, however I didn't personally see the burr so I can't be 100% sure that's what it was.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

I bought a 750 Carbine in .308 about two years ago from gunbroker. Put a nice scope on it, and couldn't get a good group to save my life. I tried different bullets and everything and the best group I got was about a 7 inch group at 50 yards. It might have just been a defective gun/scope but I will never get a 750 Carbine again. I returned to the guy who I bought it from

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.