Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle Rest?

Old 08-08-2003, 07:54 AM

Default Rifle Rest?

Looking to buy a rifle rest for the range.

What do most of you prefer?:

1) Front and rear sand bag style rests with a stand

or

2) All in one rifle rest, similar to Desert Mountain' s Rifle Rest.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2003, 09:16 AM

Default RE: Rifle Rest?

I prefer just basic sandbags. Normally I don' t even use any sort of stands. I just use a several inexpensive sandbags. I' ve got a few of the more expensive benchrest style bags made with a " u" shape to them, but usually I don' t even haul them to the range. We' ve got a number of the bags that shotgun shot comes in stuffed with river sand. You can pile up as many as you need to adjust for heigth.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

340,I have tryed a lot of different rest over the years and the best I found is Uncle Bud' s Bull Bags! Check out Midway,they sell them...
Old 08-08-2003, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sand bags, I just cut the legs off old jeans or covey' s and tie wrap the ends. I can tailor make them and less to carry to the range, not to mention reasonable!
Old 08-08-2003, 11:56 AM

Thanks guys, I' m a little surprised that regular sand bags is preferred to a front stand with a rabbit ear rear bag. I also would have thought a proper rifle rest would have been preferred even more since there would be less to carry at the range.

Any other opinions out there?
Old 08-08-2003, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

I also like the Uncle Buds Bull bag
Old 08-08-2003, 12:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had a bulls bag and it worked great but was a bit much lugging around at the range...I then bought a conventional bench rest with rear sandbag....After shooting this way for a year I may end up using the bulls bag again.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:47 AM
Host of Hosts

I had a Outers Varminter Rifle Rest with all the fine tuning gizmos. I now use sand bags made from old shot bags.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:01 AM

I like the adjustable front rest with a rabbit eared bag for the rear. I bought the Varminter but couldn' t get shed of it quick enough. I traded the new Varminter for the OLD setup that I still have now. When I hunt a certain field I just use regular sand bags on the hood of the truck.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:04 AM

I' m not a big fan a spending too much time " benching" shots except for long range/varmit shooting or sighting in scopes. For the later, one wants a rock solid rest that minimizes the problem with " shooter caused " drift" in the sight in process. To that end I prefer sand bags also -- front and back.

THEY ARE HEAVY AND SOLID -- you just can' t get that " feel and touch" with a stand. The gun sits there by itself -- solidly craddled, just snug it up to your shoulder and fire it with out disturbing things.

With that said, the key is to have lots of sandbags (as many as you want like 8 to 12) and having some difference in size helps in building your " piles" . Nothing worse than getting to the range and being limited to a whopping two bags per location.

Side Note: With medium bores (starting at 338 or so) and big bores you need a shooting set up that will let you shoot with a vertical posture with your back straight and your belly nudging the bench -- this means a taller piles of bags -- but your results will be superior.

I love sandbags, if you could just teach them to pull the trigger, then you could eliminate the " human problem" altogether.

Never Go Undergunned,
EKM

Quick Reply: Rifle Rest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.