Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle Rest?

Old 08-09-2003, 05:34 PM

Default RE: Rifle Rest?

ELK makes a really good point about sitting up straight when shooting heavy recoiling rifles off the bench. If you are leaning into the stock, your body is not as free to move with the recoil. Too many first time shooters of newly purchased big magnums never are told this and develop a nasty flinch the first time at the range.

I' ve used a Hoppes stand and a rabbit ears rear bag for years with good results. Although the bulk of my shooting is with really accurate varmit rifles, this set-up has worked fine with larger bore hunting rifles. I usually put a sandbag under the rabbit ears to get the height needed to ease the recoil.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also recomend Uncle Buds Bulls Bag. Good Shooting!!
Old 08-10-2003, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the replys guys,

Elk your absolutely right, we went up to the range yesterday to sight in and adjust some medium bores. Our posture sucked and it was definitely not a pleasent shoot.

Going to look into the Bull Bag and sand bags for now. Most guys at the range were recommending a hoppes steel front rest with the front and rear bags.

Old 08-10-2003, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another one for Uncle Bud' s Bull Bags. I' ve had a Hoppes bench rest stand for
many years. Once I tried the Bull Bag I was sold.It is heavy to lug around,but it' s worth the effort once you get to the bench.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 08-10-2003, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

I bought the Uncle Bud' s bull bag several years ago. Now I have a hard time keeping up with it. Seems all my buddies want to borrow it after they saw how it works. As far as getting the height set up tall enough, I usually take a couple of old quilts with me. A little pricey but really worth it.