Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Gun

Old 08-16-2011, 05:53 AM
Spike

Thank you all very much for your help. Well This Saturday is the big day. I will be getting these things....

Remington 700 SPS (stainless) 30-06
Sling
Nikon Monarch 3-12X42 (Im thinking BDC Reticle but not sure yet)
Sunshade
Scope covers
Remington Core-Lokt 150 Grain Ammo
Winchester Powerpoint 150 Grain Ammo
Federal Fusion 150 Grain Ammo

As mentioned I will be trying the different ammo in 3 shot groups to see what my gun likes best. I also have access to a GREAT resource. My step sons uncle is a police officer and a competition long range shooter. I have seen his competition guns and they are awesome. He currently shoots in the 1700yd range I believe. Anyway I will be paying him a visit and seeing if he can help me with getting it all set up. I know it doesn't take someone of his caliber to do that, but who would be better? Plus there is a range by his house where he does his shooting so we will make an all day event of it and have some fun too.

Thank all of you again for your help in this.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Crazy,

Congratulations on the new rig !!!

I hope you got a shooter !

It's smart IMO to have a "pro" set-up your gun from the start.

Keep us post after your first trip to the range................
Old 08-18-2011, 05:38 AM
Spike

I will be sure to post some pics when I got it all put together and even let you all know how it shoots and all that good stuff.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have received some great advice already. This is more or less an echo of others, but may serve to give you a warm fuzzy about the decisions that you are faced with.

As far as which bullet or brand of ammo to use out of your 30.06 Spr., you are doing the right thing by experimenting. I pereer the "premium" stuff because my experience with is that they are very, very consistent ... even lot to lot. I would suggest trying heavier weight bullets. There is not enough muzzle velocity difference between say a 150 gr. and 165 gr. bullet to matter ... and the longer bullet might just fly better out of your rifle. As a matter of personal observation, about every 30.06 Spr. I ahve ever sighted in has shot theior best groups with 180 gr. bullets at moderate muzzle velocities. You get a 150 gr. to group great , it'll kill deer just fine. Just a suggestion.

As far as scope, you mentioned the Nikon Monarch ... frankly I don't care for this scope. Not for the $$$. I have had two ... 3.5-10x50 and 3-9x40. Neither performed well enough for me in low light or a crisp image at long ranges (400-500yards). Mine both were 2007-08 vintage. Maybe they are better now. I much prefer the Ziess Conquest and Bushnell Elite 4200 over the Monarch. But that is just a personal preference.

Good luck and looking forward to the pics.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Typical Buck

Q's
1) When it comes to rounds is it worth the money to get something like Winchester Ballistic Silvertips or am I just as well of saving some money and using Remington/other rounds?

I would just try out some different brands, as many others have already said. That is sound advice and you can take it to th bank.

2) I know "grain" is a weight measurement but what is best practice with what to use? I know some people pick the medium grain so they still get a good speed and knock down power without sacrificing to much of either.

I only use 150 in my 30-06. Anything bigger is just slower and has more recoil. Maybe go 165 for bear. I 150gr corelok will put a large hole in a whitetail.

3) Are lower grain rounds better at one thing where higher might be better used on other things?

In a word, YES. Bigger animal = bigger bullets.

4) I know I should spend between $300-$500 on a good scope, any recommendations as far as brands or even specific models?

You're right on that one. Good optics are everything. I have always used Leupold and Nikon with excellent results. The Leupold VX-III scopes are hard to beat and Nikon Monarchs are crystal clear and very ruged also. Burris also makes a nice scope but I don't have much time on one.

5) Is it best to still stick with a 100yd zero when dialing in the scope or should it be zeroed in higher?

Alot of people go 1", 2" or even 3" high a 100yds. If you are hunting in places where you may need to shoot out to 3-400yds frequently then thats all well and good, but for a 30-06 and shots inside 200 yds and the occasional 300yd shot., I like to sight in 1'-1 1/2" high a 100yds. Thats will put you dead on at 50yds and 150yds and maybe 3-4" low at 200yds. I don't like dealing with that high arching line of sight when I may have to take shots at moving animals or tight windows. Just my opinion. You can look at some ballistic charts to get some ideas about your bullet drop and such.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

For what it's worth:

1) When it comes to rounds is it worth the money to get something like Winchester Ballistic Silvertips or am I just as well of saving some money and using Remington/other rounds?

As has already been mentioned, "premium" ammunition isn't necessary for any of your intended uses. Core Lokts, PowerPoints and the like will perform quite well on deer and black bears.

2) I know "grain" is a weight measurement but what is best practice with what to use? I know some people pick the medium grain so they still get a good speed and knock down power without sacrificing to much of either.

In a .30-06, you'll probably use 150 grain bullets for everything up to and including deer, upping to 180 grain bullets for elk or moose.

3) Are lower grain rounds better at one thing where higher might be better used on other things?

See above

4) I know I should spend between $300-$500 on a good scope, any recommendations as far as brands or even specific models?

I don't think it's necessary to have any more glass than a 3-9x on a .30-06. Most of my workaday rifles wear either Burris Fullfield IIs or Leupold VX-2s and VX-3s. Nikons seem to have a faithful following within this price point, but I don't have any experience with them.

5) Is it best to still stick with a 100yd zero when dialing in the scope or should it be zeroed in higher?

I'm going to break with the pack here. I zero EVERYTHING dead-on at 100 yards. Why? First, my targets are calibrated for 100 yards. Second, I can see the target a whole lot better at 100 yards than I can at 200 yards. Third, I keep ballistic tables out to 500 or based on reticle stadia (Ballistic Plex reticles, etc.).

Last edited by homers brother; 08-18-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:42 AM
Spike

Thank you guys for the additional info. Never to much. I greatly appreciate all the help on this forum. I have been reading a lot and watching A LOT of videos/reviews regarding the Remington 700 and the Nikon Monarch scope. I must say im impressed and sold on both choices and I think I am going to be quite happy. The only "flaw" (if you want to call it that) is that the Remington 700's are not floating barrels. They look like they are, but they aren't.

I found a 9 video series on you tube of a Scottish lad in the UK floating his Remington 700 SPS. He mentions he has never done it and from what I have seen I think I may be inspired to buy a second stock and try it myself down the road if I feel the gun could use it. I know that the gun would perform better but these guns are supposed to be accurate right out of the box so we will see.

I have also been thinking about getting a 6"-9" Harris bi pod. The one thing I don't know though is if they are detachable or if they need to be either installed or uninstalled. I wonder because I could see some situations where a bi pod would be nice and others where it could just get in the way and if it were able to just detach based on the situation then that would make it so much easier. Now I don't know if I would be getting it right away or not but just an idea I'm kicking around.

Well tomorrow is the big day.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Crazy,

There are a few less expensive ways to improve the accuracy of your SPS.

#1 a basic trigger job by a professional gunsmith.

#2 have the barrel hand lapped by a professional gunsmith.

#3 try as many different types of ammo to see which one "your" gun shoots best.

#4 shoot from a steady rest

#5 practice good form; control breathing, squeeze trigger slowly with nearer the tip of first digit, stay behind the scope with a good follow through.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like You got a great set up with the 30-06....another good investment is to get a Caldwell Leadsled to sight Your Rifle in with!It will help steady your Rifle and to help with less felt recoil.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

If you are not going to hand load your ammo, then going with a mid-grade or better brand of ammo is worth it. The cheaper stuff can vary noticeably in quality from lot to lot.

I use Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. They are overkill for whitetail. Complete overkill.

I hit the front leg square on with my 140 grain 7mm08 silvertip round. It created a hole that was slightly larger than a baseball where the bone had been. The fragments shredded the deer apart. It was double lunged, the liver was torn up, and the heart had one valve with a hole in it. Instant death.

On the other hand, it's suitable for taking most game (comfortably) in the lower 48. My gun loves it.

The ballistic silvertip ammo is a step below the higher grade ammo. If you are worried about cost, then this isn't the ammo you want. It's not the cheapest by any measure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.