Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Refinishing a Browning stock >

Refinishing a Browning stock

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Refinishing a Browning stock

Old 12-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Refinishing a Browning stock

Have any of you guys refinished a Browning stock? I believemy Micro Hunter hasa polyurethane type finish on it. It really took a beating on my last elk hunt. When this finish scratches it really looks worse than it is.
I was wondering if that spray furniture stripper would remove this finish?
Old 12-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Spike

Default RE: Refinishing a Browning stock

I've refinished grips on Browning handguns. It seems to be the toughest finish to get off. Brownells carries a stripper specifically for Browning and other tough finishes.

Nick10Ring
Struthers,Ohio
Old 12-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best way I have found to remove the Browning finish is to scrape it off with shards of glass.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get "certistrip" from Brownells. It removes ALL types of finish including epoxy and eurethane. For the new finish, check out "Acra-coat" also sold by Brownells. It's epoxy based, and while requiring 3 days for each coat to cure, is outstanding once done.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Before I bought the Certistrip from Brownells, I did a search and go some K3 stripper for expoy at Walmart. It softened up the finish in the browning stock. Enough that I could scrap it off with a plastic scrapper (I actually used a piece of vinyl siding - which I could shape for the different contours of the stock). I then applied a second coat and used a brass brush to scrub the remaining finish out from the pores in the wood. After final drying and some final sanding and steel wool, I finished with 4 coats of Tru Oil. When the Tru Oil was completely dry, I applied a light coat of satin polyurethane.
I am really pleased with the way it came out. I even like it better than the original finish.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you have pictures?
How long did you let the stripper set before you started scraping?
Thanks.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hurricane - I followed the directions on the can. 15 minutes was the dwell time. That finish on the Brownings is tough stuff to remove. Even when I thought I had it all removed and going over the entire stock, I could see small remants of the finish on that I scraped off with a knife.
I figured someone may want to see some pics so I will get some later today.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Before I bought the Certistrip from Brownells, I did a search and go some K3 stripper for expoy at Walmart. It softened up the finish in the browning stock. Enough that I could scrap it off with a plastic scrapper (I actually used a piece of vinyl siding - which I could shape for the different contours of the stock). I then applied a second coat and used a brass brush to scrub the remaining finish out from the pores in the wood. After final drying and some final sanding and steel wool, I finished with 4 coats of Tru Oil. When the Tru Oil was completely dry, I applied a light coat of satin polyurethane.
I am really pleased with the way it came out. I even like it better than the original finish.
bronko.....You're right about the KS 3 stripper. Good stuff. Should have told you about it earlier. Sorry. I've been using it for some time now, and it really does a lot better job than the others, for the most part.
In recards to your finishing method, you did just the opposite of what I normally do.... I usually fill and build with the poly and then on a dull, lightly steel wooled final poly coat, I apply several coats of hand-rubbed Tru-Oil. It lets you touch up any future light scratches easily, but I'm sure your method will work as long as the Tru-Oil was totally dry before your final poly finish.
Will be anxious to see how it turned out for you. I'm just getting started on a Model 7 stock. Need to freshen up the checkering in a spot and put a light satin sheen on it.
Glad you're happy with how it turned out.......
Old 01-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

You asked for pics of the stock. Here is one, followed by 2 others. Sorry I don't know how to add multiple pics.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Pic 2 of 3

Quick Reply: Refinishing a Browning stock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.