Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm or 300

Old 08-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Spike

Default 7mm or 300

So for my bday my girlfriend wants to get me a new rifle and i have to decide between the savage 7mm or a savage 300. Both are bolt action and carbon stock. I primarily hunt deer and elk and would like to attempt bear sometime in the future.I Generally wont take a shot thats more than 150 to 200 yards. What would you guys recommend?
Old 08-04-2011, 01:06 AM
Spike

I beleive I would opt for the 300; greater bullet selection for all game listed.

CK
Old 08-04-2011, 03:17 AM
Typical Buck

Either one will work. They are similar enough rounds. The 300 gives you more options for ammo, but both will kill the same game with the same efficiency.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 7 will do anything the 30 will with less recoil.After years of being beat up by the 30's John Nosler tried and stuck with the 7's.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Spike

For the deer and elk I would be all over the 7mm. BUT since you might hunt bear (grizzly?) I would opt for bigger is better in this case and go with the 300. Ive always liked being the predator and dont wanna become the prey! IMO the 300wsm doesnt kick as much as the 300wm but maybe its in my head?? So that may be an option?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on what "other" calibers you already own ?

I went with the 7MM RM, but I also brought a .338 WM for the big stuff & when I'm hunting in bear country.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Spike

either gun will do what you want, and both will be very effective at doing so, i would go .300, why?, just because i like that caliber better, but i would definatly make your own decision
Old 08-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

Pick your poison. I have two 7mags and a two 30cal mags, the 160Xbullet in a 7mag will kill ANYTHING on this continent with ease. If you WERE going to use it for griz then I'd step up to a 175Xbullet but realistically if I'm goin for griz then I'm buying a 375H&H, you'll spend THOUSANDS (usally TENS of thousands at that) to hunt them today so an extra rifle isn't going to break the bank. Comparing the .284 to the .308 is splitting hairs. I likewise have a .280 and two 30/06s, one will do anything the other will do.

I LOVE rifles and have a weakness for them, the dozen plus I have today will probably grow into multiple dozens by the time they throw dirt in my face. That being said, if I could only have 2 rifles I'd probably own a 7mag and a 375H&H. But to go even simpler, if I could only have one for doing it all... probably would have to get a .338Mag!!!

Btw, if she's buying you guns now and aint even legally yours yet, you probably should snatch her up and make it legal. Gooduns like that are hard to find!!!
HL
Old 08-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Spike

"Btw, if she's buying you guns now and aint even legally yours yet, you probably should snatch her up and make it legal. Gooduns like that are hard to find!!! " She is a great women and we are just waiting to set a date. As for all the input, I would like to thank you all and will definitely take all into consideration. I'm looking forward to either rifle, that is or sure!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

Crazyhorse, forgive me but I didn't realize you are in OR when you first posted. With all honesty, you guys that actually live out west, you just have different and more numerous chances at truly BIG game than most of us flatlanders here back east do. Whatever rifle we own will spend 99% of it's time shooting whitetails. You on the other hand will be hunting elk, deer and all the while alot of that time will be spent in grizzly country. For you and guys like you that are young and starting out (planning a wedding, starting a life which usually means kids soon etc...) I think I'd go ahead and recommend you just get a .338Mag and be done with it!

If the situation improves (and hopefully it will) in the future where you'll be able to own a multitude for rifles then so be it. But most of us start out "young, broke and dumb" so it's best to do the best you can on the first pass! That's why I think you might should consider a 338. With todays bullet selections you can get anything for the 338 from groundhogs to grizzs over the counter or via the net/mail.

Just tryin to help,
HL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.