Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Down to 2 Choice help me pick >

Down to 2 Choice help me pick

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Down to 2 Choice help me pick

Old 07-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Spike

Default Down to 2 Choice help me pick

Ok so I've narrowed my few month search down to 2 riffles. Just not sure which route I want to go, and I am sure this is going to be just like the Ford vs. Chevy battle, but here it goes. I have chosen a 30.06 caliber and a Leupold VX II 3-9 x50 scope. So here are my riffle choices. Either or will be purchased from the BX on base so no taxes to save a little cash. Scope will be mounted and bore sighted for free or so they say. I don't want money to be the decieding factor either. Also since I am new to riffles can someone tell me the main difference in the blue finsh or the stainless finish besides the obvious color of the barrel.

Browing X-Bolt Composite Stalker(blue hinish) $704
Remington Model 700 SPS (blue finish) $620 ish

Thanks for you input.

Also I was just wondering if there are any scope mounts that are better than others, or would the Leuplod scope mounts be just fine?

Last edited by cntryislandboy; 07-14-2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: add a question
Old 07-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think Talley Mounts are pretty awesome. I use to use leupold mounts.

Spend as much as you can on a quality scope, personally I'm not crazy about leupold's vx-3 let alone the vx-II, the vx-6 has me curious though, but that's gonna be a step up in price. I like my zeiss conquests much more than any of my leupolds.

Browning would be my vote. Although I'm not strongly swayed one way or the other.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure opinions will vary regarding these choices. . Personally, I'd take the Browning over the Remmy. The last three Remmy's I've dealt with had issues. I think their QC has been suffering. A 30-06 is a good, solid choice and that scope will work fine. I also prefer other scope brands, but it's your choice. Just get one that feels right and fits your style.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hands down the X Bolt. There is absolutely no comparison. If you get a Remington, get a used older one as the new ones are plagued with problems. As for scope rings and bases, I really love the Burris Signature Zee scope rings with the inserts. I use them with a Weaver base, but You can also get them in the dovetail style for the Leupold style bases. These rings are the way to go imo.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I own a Remington SPS DM, which is blued; if the stainless model came with a detachable box magazine I'would have brought that.

I also own a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker; I wish all my rifles were as good !!!

BTW - Stainless, stains less (weather resistant).

I too use Burris Zee rings on all my bolt action rifles, except the X-Bolt, I used Browning rings.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for the X-Bolt. Got a Hunter model chambered in 270 Winchester with a Zeiss Conquest mounted in a 1 piece DNZ mount. Sold my last 700 off 1 year ago after shooting a few rounds with the X-Bolt. Not the best of pics but here is mine:

Old 07-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Stainless steel is more weather resistant then blued steel. Takes alot more before it will rust, usually. Of the two guns listed, hands down, take the Xbolt. Great trigger, nice short bolt lift, and at least my wife's, its accurate.

Now I'll offer my opinion of what you listed. The price for a composite Xbolt blued, should be much less. My wife's Xbolt hunter(wood stock, blued barrel) in 300 win, was $750. I want to say you can find them in the $600's range. May get a better deal at a gunshop. Your scope, IMO, overkill. You dont need a 50mm scope for only 3-9x. Extra weight, requires higher mounting, affecting cheek placement, etc. For $399 you can get a Zeiss 3-9x 40mm, and it will be hands down better then a VXII. So see if you can get a better price on the gun, and Id consider a different scope.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most people already have their mind made up when they ask questions like these and are typically just wanting people to agree with what they are already thinking. But I will give my recommendation any way.

From a purely functional standpoint and not a how pretty is the rifle standpoint.......

Browning rifles are mediocre at best IMHO. Though the X-bolt did improve on the A-bolt design mechanically and functionally, it still isn't a very well designed rifle. I'd take the Remington any day over the Browning.

* The tang (where the safety is located) of the Browning X-bolt is easily broken because it is a cheaply made cast aluminum part. Seen one tang get broken just taking it out of the stock.
* The magazine on the browning isn't the strongest design made. If it does come apart (I've seen a couple) good luck getting it back together.
* The bolt release plunger thing on the bolt handle is just something else to break or get stuck while you are out hunting. Why they went with that design I'll never know.

Now, if you want a real rifle look at the model 70 Winchester extreme weather.
* The model 70 has the best 3 position safety ever designed on a rifle.
* The synthetic stock on the model 70 isn't just a Tupperware stock like what comes on the 700 or the X-bolt. It is made from a composite of fiberglass, aramid fibers and graphite and epoxy gel coated with a full length aluminum bedding block.
* The model 70 has a coned breech that pretty much eliminates a round popping up and jamming against the breech face.
* The model 70's extractor is a hundred times stronger than that of the X-bolt or the 700 though the extractor in the X-bolt is a vast improvement over the A-bolt.
* The model 70's bolt can be field stripped with out any additional tools unlike either the 700 or X-bolt.
* The model 70 (and the 700) just looks a hell of a lot better than that euro-trash styled rifle that the Browning is.
* If it matters to you the model 70 (and 700) is made here in the USA.

Now for the mounts...... DNZ mounts (game reaper mounts) are the best mounting system I have used. I won't use anything else on my future rifles.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:23 AM
Fork Horn

browning x bolt
Old 07-16-2011, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remington! Its a better rifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.