Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New member with a rifle grouping question >

New member with a rifle grouping question

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New member with a rifle grouping question

Old 07-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Action bolts tight? Barrel clean? Not resting the barrel on anything?
Old 07-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Spike

Being summer time and all, how hot was it outside when you shot?

You try shooting when it's 90 outside you'll be lucky to hit a paper plate at 50 yards.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

I've a rifle the best group its ever shot w/me or any one else is a 3 shot 2"w/ factory ammo, some of them missed an 18"sq at 50yd. Conversely I've a friend w/1 that's never shot over 4" or 8" from point of hold. W/that said, and you having by now rechecked all of the rings and mounts,I will suggest checking that the bbl and stock are either in full tight contact or having no contact. Also that the stock/action screws are tight. Some rifles just don't shoot well full floated.1 more thing, check the muzzle crown I know it is a new rifle but the right/wrong bump will do 1 in and cause just what you discribe
Old 07-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

I had a brand new stainless/synthetic Ruger 77 that would shoot no better than 8-10 inch groups no matter what. I fought with Ruger about it and they told me it was acceptable. Thankfully, The gun shop gave me a full refund and sold me a different rifle. The owner said he would deal with Ruger himself. It may not happen often but once in a while factories let a lemon slip out the door.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

True, you'll find variations. However, the fact we're talking 8-10" groups at 100 yards is well out of the norm in and of itself. Something's seriously wrong, and if it's not fixed, no amount of tinkering with different loads is going to change things.
Agreed. I've had rifles dislike a particular load and shoot 3 to 4 inch groups at 100 yards because of it. But 8 to 10 inch groups? Man that's got to either be a shooter or equipment problem there. I'll join the chorus. Recheck everything for tightness. Take someone else to the range with you that you know to be a good shooter.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Spike

Well I made it back out this morning...... What I found was that it is mostly operator error. I shot 5 different loads today, and while I did find one that the gun seemed to like the best (Federal 160Gr Nosler Accubond); I also learned that I am not doing my sequence quite right.

I got a 1.25" group at 200Yds that was about 5 inches Left and 4 inches high, then tried the rest of my options before tring to dial that load in (to make sure nothing was better). After I decided that this would be my best option, I began to adjust to get it right. I was getting fairly inconsistant groups (4-5inch's) at 200 until another shooter asked if I was trying any "cold Barrel" shots....... At this point I had one round of the perfered ammo left and had a group of about 15" at 300Yds with the 3 previous rounds. He told me to run a dry patch through and wait a few minutes then fire that round..... That one hit on the low corner of the bullseye at 300.

Guess my next question should be what do you guys do when sighting in a rifle as far as cleaning, or dry patching, or barrel rest between either shots or groups? I will have more of the same ammo next time out; and will be working on my mechanics with a pellet gun to help the shooter a little.... Any other tips?
Old 07-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shoot 3-5 shots about 1 minute apart then let it cool.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

What jeepkid said +1

Take your time settling in behind the gun.

One you have slowly squeezed the trigger, maintain your body position & make sure to follow through by keeping your crosshairs on the bullseye.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by footshooter

So I have an Elk hunt the second week of September, and like a total moron I choose to change the scope on the only rifle that I had...... I had just gotten a new rifle and figured that it wouldn't be an issue.

shooter,

If the scope and those rings were working OK in past, Maybe its the new rifle???

Last edited by RaySendero; 07-17-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

GONNA TELL YA MY X BOLT HATES HORNADEYS all said and done , i ended up with win power max , clipin clovers , couldnt be happier , nothin wrong with the hornadeys , but it just dont like em good luc on finding the right load ps dose sound like there is a little pilot error there oops

Last edited by polaris754; 07-18-2011 at 03:10 PM.