Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New member with a rifle grouping question >

New member with a rifle grouping question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New member with a rifle grouping question

Old 07-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Spike

Default New member with a rifle grouping question

So I have an Elk hunt the second week of September, and like a total moron I choose to change the scope on the only rifle that I had...... I had just gotten a new rifle and figured that it wouldn't be an issue.

Here is my set-up and my question:
Browning X-bolt White Gold rifle in 7mm Rem mag.
Topped with a Swaro Z3 Ballistic turret scope, and the browning x bolt rings.

I may be jumping the gun with my concerns, but went shooting it for the first time last week and could not get better than a 8-10" group at 100yds (off a bench) I was using the Hornady Superformance SST in 154 & 162 Grains. I figured that something must be loose, but upon investigating I found nothing to be loose. I remounted the scope and now I have 5 new factory loads to try my next time out. Is it possible that the gun just doesn't like that round? My 5 new loads I have varied weight, and Velocity as much as I could find to see if there is a "sweet spot" with this rifle.

Is there anything else that I should be trying? I was shooting the other guns I took just fine, and never let the gun get hot...
Old 07-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

This time when you go to the range start at 25 yards, then move to 50 yards.

By the time you get to 100 yards; if your still shooting 8"-10" groups, get somebody else to mount your scope for you ! LOL

Last edited by Sheridan; 07-10-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Operator error? You checked scope bases too, right?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bad scope/mounting??

Do you flinch when you shoot? does the kick seem harsh?

If so don't be afraid to check out some managed recoil loads, or shoot lighter bullet weights may help as well.

What state are you hunting with a sept rifle hunt?? sounds awesome!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

By investigating and finding nothing loose, you meant to say that everything was torqued to manufacturer's specifications, right?

Unfortunately, backing up to 25 yards will probably give you the mathematical equivalent there of the groups you shot at 100 yards. From a diagnostic sense, one of two things is probably going on here: Either your torque specs are off and/or something else IS loose, or your sight picture is changing.

In nearly 35 years I've never found a lot of ammunition shoot that badly. I have seen some very well-worn Kalashnikovs with standard sights rival that group size, but I don't think that's what you're dealing with here, either?

Before I got too crazy trying to find a load that shoots better, I'd run back through your setup with a proper torque wrench. THEN - I'd make absolutely certain your sight-in platform is solid, whether it be a rest or sandbags. FINALLY - I'd make absolutely certain my point-of-aim was consistent from shot-to-shot.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Fork Horn

guns do have tendacy to shoot different liads different, takes patience to find the right losd for the gun- twist rate of barrel can determine what bullet is best for your gun- browning 7 mag i had liked the remington 150 gr. real well,
Old 07-11-2011, 02:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's hard for me to believe that if all screws are good and tight and there is nothing wrong with that scope then that gun shoots 8-10 inch groups...I've seen guns that would shoot 3-4 inch groups with one ammo and then get down under an inch and a half with another...Frankly if everything is tight then it sounds like you either got a bum scope or you are flinching...
Old 07-11-2011, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hoghunter59
guns do have tendacy to shoot different liads different, takes patience to find the right losd for the gun- twist rate of barrel can determine what bullet is best for your gun- browning 7 mag i had liked the remington 150 gr. real well,
True, you'll find variations. However, the fact we're talking 8-10" groups at 100 yards is well out of the norm in and of itself. Something's seriously wrong, and if it's not fixed, no amount of tinkering with different loads is going to change things.

If everything's tight and the sight picture isn't changing (i.e. flinching, etc.) this rifle needs to go back to the manufacturer. However, it being a Browning, I suspect it's NOT the rifle or the ammunition. It's far more likely to be the mount or the shooter until those two variables can be ruled out.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Spike

Thanks guys, I didn't have a torque wrench for verifing all the bolts, but used a small ratchet to make sure they were tight..... maybe I will check the specs and try again but the scope was mounted by a local gun shop, so i was looking for something obvious there.

I bought better targets with heavy bars to match the scope when aiming. I have gotten a few different loads to try, and was thinking about taking some stuff to help the bench be more steady. My setup is a caldwell Rock BR competition rest and sandbags for the rear. I am hoping it was me, and this weekend if I cannot get it started right i plan to remove the bench and go prone off the ground.

Salu,
My hunt is in Riondel BC, with Shadow Mtn. outfitters not the closest to home but some very cool looking area's and the hunt had some cool bonus opportunitys. Plus I really want a big Billy someday and may get to see some if the hunt goes well.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

You say you were shooting the other guns just fine. What were they? Is the 7mm mag a heavier recoil than you're used to? Is the gun comfortable to shoot? Fits you well?

Take another shooter with you. Try each of the different 5 loads for a 2 round group each and compare the results .... if you both get large groups it's probably something about the gun, scope etc, and not the shooter(s).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.