Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Considering selling a custom rifle.....am I crazy? >

Considering selling a custom rifle.....am I crazy?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Considering selling a custom rifle.....am I crazy?

Old 07-10-2011, 04:00 AM
Fork Horn

If u sell it your never going to find the reason to go on that elk hunt !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KEEP IT !!
Old 07-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jeepkid
KEEEEEP IT!!! You will lose money selling a custom rifle!!
+2, Nobody is going to give you what a custom gun is really worth unless they have built one. I was told by my local gunshop that, custom guns are guns that cut the number of potential customers because of their price, or have wildcat chamberings, etc.

Last edited by stapher1; 07-10-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep it, it doesnt eat anything. LOL. But have you a lightweight 280 built also, its a great cartridge that is capable of taken anything in North America. I wouldnt take anything for mine. I have alot of guns but my 280 is by far my most favorite hunting rifle.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

So, has the barrel already been threaded and chambered?

If it hasn't already been chambered I would assume they have a supply of barrel blanks at the shop ready to go. Just ask if you can swap it to a 7mm mag. instead of the .300.

If it has then just keep the rifle. The dead deer will never know the difference between the .280 or .300.

I take my .338RUM deer hunting quite often and the dead deer don't know the difference between it and my .270.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

At 7-plus pounds without optics, there's a reasonable chance you'd be wanting to unload that rifle after the first day hauling it around elk hunting. Unfortunate.

At this point though, you're probably not going to turn it without taking a loss. Regardless of what some people think, the .280 is itself a gem and a STELLAR plains and mountain cartridge (ideal for elk, sheep, goats, antelope).

A conundrum for sure. If weight's a concern though, you have the wrong rifle from the start. That alone may be the deciding factor. Don't know what barrel length it carries, but if it's over 24", that's going to become an annoyance as well. If taking a loss in selling it is a concern, I think you're probably stuck with something heavier than what you really needed (weight AND caliber-wise).

Rifles can be re-stocked and re-barrelled though. Don't know if HCR might consider cutting you a break if it hasn't left their shop yet, but might be worth the asking.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think you should have built the 7mm
Old 07-12-2011, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

The 7 3/4 lbs unscoped rifle weight won't be an issue how/where I currently hunt. Not a lot of walking involved.

Jerry.....looking back....I should have done the rifle in 7mm. Rem. Mag. Plenty big enough caliber for what I'll be hunting, AND it would have allowed me to use a #3 contour barrel or a fluted #4 contour....which would have shave about 1/2 lb. off finishing the rifle at around 7 1/4 lbs. unscoped.

Oh well....live and learn. Instead of selling and loosing all that money in the process, I may just have Hill Country rebarrel it one day to a 7mm. Rem. Mag.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

When did you switch to a .300? I thought you had decided on the 7mm?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

For some reason, I've always wanted a .300 Win. Something about it makes me do the Tim Taylor Tool Mag grunt. I've owned several different 7mm. Rem. Mag's. and loved the caliber.

I have absolutely no need for a caliber as big as the .300 Win. considering my hunting consists of deer and hogs.

Maybe I can reationalize booking an elk hunt because I've paid so much for this rifle....lol
Old 07-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Schoolcraft,

"For some reason, I've always wanted a .300 Win."

......and now you have one; a custom built one.

Good for you, congratulations !!!

One day I hope to own a .300 WM also (already have a 7MM RM & a .338 WM).

I must admitt however, the weight of any "mountain rifle" is a concern for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.