Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 tinkering with triggers/whats a good trigger? >

tinkering with triggers/whats a good trigger?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

tinkering with triggers/whats a good trigger?

Old 08-06-2003, 07:26 AM

Default tinkering with triggers/whats a good trigger?

I hear alot of you talking about crappy triggers, heavy triggers and etc, and I think I' m finally shooting enough that I can tell when the trigger is annoying me and messing up my shooting. So what' s a good trigger? On my Savage 99 I' ve noticed that the trigger pulls hard initially, then eases up before shooting. It seems relatively consistent, but it' s hard to feel when the pressure lightens up and I' m afraid that I won' t be able to pay attention to that when I have the Rompola buck in my sights. Can characteristics like these be adjusted? Also, I have a Mossberg 695 and the trigger is just hard to pull. Any chance that can be adjusted? Thanks!
Old 08-06-2003, 10:24 AM

Default RE: tinkering with triggers/whats a good trigger?

They can be adjusted, but the method varies from one firearm to the next. I have a lot of experience changing out triggers on Mauser rifles, and some experience lightening triggers on SAA Colts and Smith K-frames, but none whatsoever with the two you mentioned. I would reccomend talking to a good gunsmith.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

Take it to a good gun smith.Pro gun service in Victor does good trigger work.as far as the Mossburg 695 I don' t know if that can be adjusted.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:05 AM
Host of Hosts

Part of your problem could be that your paying too much attention to the trigger. You don' t want to expect when the trigger is going to break. You want it to be somewhat of a surprise. You should concentrate on the target more and less on the trigger pull, this will improve your group size. Not to say a heavy trigger isn' t annoying, but if you want to adjust ANY trigger pull, GO TO A COMPETENT GUNSMITH.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:50 AM

i recently traded one of my 30-06s for a wby vanguard 300wby mag and it has a trigger pull that seems like 10 lbs.it has an adjustment on the trigger assy.and i am going to try to set it like my wby 30-06.my ' 06 is as you described,you don' t have to keep putting pressure on the trigger wondering when it is going off.it goes off when you start applying pressure with little pressure.it is not a hair trigger but you don' t have to anticipate.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remington or Winchester I do myself,any other trigger I take to a gunsmith...
Old 08-11-2003, 08:06 AM

I know the shot is supposed to be a surprise, but when you have to pull too hard you can also pull the sights off target (hence the beauty of a double-set trigger on the old hunting guns) and an inconsistent trigger (like the savage). Guess I' ll need to take them to a gunsmith.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

The concept of having the shot surprise you when it breaks is useful when training people to shoot, and the coach is afraid the trainee will develop a flinch or try to " grab off the bullseye when it goes by ( ie., jerk the trigger), but this idea is not something an experienced seasoned shooter continues to do. Excellent shots like to know exactly when the shot is going! That' s the reason why I prefer a double-set trigger to all other types for a hunting rifle, with a lightweight single-stage as a close second choice.

I have done some trigger work on the M99 Savage, and while I was able to get some improvement, the design of this trigger does not permit it to be made particularly light or to remove all the creep from it, AND REMAIN SAFE!
Old 08-13-2003, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

When someone tells me they cannot get their rifle to shoot good,The first question I ask is what kind of trigger pull you got??shooting good groups is what the indivudal can handle on their trigger.some can shoot heavy trigers some cannot.
Buddie had a ruger 7 mag,couldn' t get good groups at 50 yds,checked the trigger and it was over 7 lbs,worked on trigger set at 3 lbs,then he started putting them in the same hole at 50 yds.(tht was the farest we could shot them) later at 100 yds his groups improved 100 %.