Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Best home defense weapon? >

Best home defense weapon?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best home defense weapon?

Old 07-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm partial to scatterguns myself. If I was going up against an enemy at close range, the weapon I would fear the most would be a 12 gauge full of buckshot, close second would be a semi-auto carbine. However, I'm worried about the limited space and close quarters here. I'm really thinking that a pistol would work better in my current situation. Also, it is an excuse to buy a new weapon .
Old 07-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

Check these out. The option of using both types of ammo.

http://www.taurususa.com/gun-selecto....cfm?series=41

If you want to defend your home.....use rubber ammo with which ever weapon you choose !

If you want a mess and possible prosecution for killing someone[ VERY POSSIBLE ] then use real ammo.Your choice !
Old 07-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

I'm not familiar with Illinois law in regards to self defense. They do have statutes that reference it, but handgunlaw.us doesn't have a link to them.

Most states have a justifiable defense law that makes them immune to all prosecution if the shooting was deemed justified. That means no civil or criminal charges can be filed.

I would not listen to Dog Killer's advice. Many of the criminals around here are drug addicts that can be hopped up on some serious things, or need a fix so badly they don't feel pain because they need their fix that bad. You want to incapacitate them in the most efficient manner you can. It's your life that may be on the line, and do you want to rely on strictly non-lethal measures to keep it? I wouldn't go that route.

Hopefully you never need to defend yourself, but if the time comes you need to be as prepared as you can be to survive. Do you want to let the criminals dictate your actions, or do you want to have the say in the most crucial moment of your life? Answer that, and you will have the path to follow.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sfury
I'm not familiar with Illinois law in regards to self defense. They do have statutes that reference it, but handgunlaw.us doesn't have a link to them.

Most states have a justifiable defense law that makes them immune to all prosecution if the shooting was deemed justified. That means no civil or criminal charges can be filed.

I would not listen to Dog Killer's advice. Many of the criminals around here are drug addicts that can be hopped up on some serious things, or need a fix so badly they don't feel pain because they need their fix that bad. You want to incapacitate them in the most efficient manner you can. It's your life that may be on the line, and do you want to rely on strictly non-lethal measures to keep it? I wouldn't go that route.

Hopefully you never need to defend yourself, but if the time comes you need to be as prepared as you can be to survive. Do you want to let the criminals dictate your actions, or do you want to have the say in the most crucial moment of your life? Answer that, and you will have the path to follow.
I simply gave him another option to look into since he was leaning toward a pistol .YOU can do whatever you want.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dog killer
Check these out. The option of using both types of ammo.

http://www.taurususa.com/gun-selecto....cfm?series=41

If you want to defend your home.....use rubber ammo with which ever weapon you choose !

If you want a mess and possible prosecution for killing someone[ VERY POSSIBLE ] then use real ammo.Your choice !
I have lived on this ol' world for 52 years. This is the worse advice I have ever heard. What the Hell?? LMFAO!!

If they are a threat to you or your family, smoke 'em. Rubber bullets are not for the real deal.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 07-05-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

Whatever. Adios !
Old 07-06-2011, 02:13 AM
Typical Buck

I'd rather risk hurting others with lethal measures and kill any criminals attacking me in my home. If I didn't at least try to stop them I could not live with myself. Anyone they hurt after I surrendered without taking action would be blood on my hands. That would haunt me to my grave.

Non-lethal measures are for those who are out in public (depending on the situation), or are LEOs. In your home, you have to decide what your life means to you, and how much you care about those who know you.

Sometimes you have to make hard decisions and live with the consequences. People who are assaulting you in your own home are not normal people, they are animals. Animals that prey on the weak. God gave us free will, and some people make bad choices, choices that cause us to need to protect ourselves against them.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

"I would rather be judged by twelve good men than carried by six"
Old 07-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sfury

I would not listen to Dog Killer's advice. Many of the criminals around here are drug addicts that can be hopped up on some serious things, or need a fix so badly they don't feel pain because they need their fix that bad. You want to incapacitate them in the most efficient manner you can. It's your life that may be on the line, and do you want to rely on strictly non-lethal measures to keep it? I wouldn't go that route
totally...a guy got shot 9 times and was still trying to kill this lady..all hopped up on sum bull****.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Break into my house and I dang sure won't be shooting rubber bullets at you...

Your first responsibility is to save your butt and your family's...Hopefully no one else
gets hurt...I just don't read many articles about folks living in the next apartment being
killed by someone defending themselves...Maybe you guys can enlighten me and let me know how many citizens were killed last year by bullets coming through the wall from their neighbors defending themselves...

Depending upon which room or part of the house I'm in I have a .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .40 S&W or a few 12 gauges...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.