Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Best home defense weapon? >

Best home defense weapon?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best home defense weapon?

Old 07-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

In this situation, I would recommend a Taurus Judge loaded with .410's full of 6 shot.

While it doesn't seem to be the popular opinion around here, I don't believe in using a longarm as my first defense. My first defense weapon is based on the worst case scenario, which I believe is waking up to someone standing over my bed. Yes, I am much more likely to be awakened by an intruder LONG before they get to our room, the consequence if I DON'T wake up is terrible, so I will plan for the worst, then hope for the best.

In the instance where you wake up to someone standing at the foot of your bed, handling a longarm fast enough to neutralize the threat BEFORE they can over-take control of the muzzle and "defend" themselves is very difficult. Try it with a paintball gun or airsoft shotgun sometime, have a friend or spouse stand over the bed and at a beep, both of you go for your gun. You WILL NOT be able to get your first shot off before they get control of your muzzle. So now it's a wrestling match over a loaded gun.

In my practices with an airsoft PISTOL, however, I can hold back an attacker with one hand, and get the shots off with the other hand nearly every time.

So in my experience, a handgun is the superior weapon to have near the bed.

If you want to keep a shotgun in the closet in case you hear someone in the front room, then, yes, I agree in that situation, a shotgun is superior to a handgun, but for a "closer than 10ft" engagement, the handgun gets the nod.

Again, for APARTMENTS, either use a handgun with birdshot or Glazer Frangibles, or a Taurus Judge Revolver with .410 bore 6 shot.

You can NOT count on your walls stopping buckshot, but you CAN count on 6 shot tearing a fist sized hole in someone's chest at 10ft.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:03 AM
Spike

It was a bad idea for Chandler, Ariz., citizen Joshua Seto, 27, to stuff his fiancée’s pink gun into the waistband of his slacks for an excursion to Fry's Food Store. According to ABC15, Seto crammed his fiancée’s pink pistol in the waistband of his slacks to get ready for an excursion to Fry's Food Store in Phoenix. The gun went off, all but cutting Seto's penis and wounding his left leg. Man accidentally shoots own penis with pink pistol. A really shocking news, not because the man shot his own penis but bringing a gun in public place is prohibited. Accidents do happen, but we need to make sure that we handle it well. The man needs to be investigated because why did he bring that weapon in the public place.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:11 AM
WCW
Spike

You already have the two things necessary for home protection. A shotgun and a brain. Most will disagree with me but I am certain that in the close confines of a dwelling bird shot is more than adequate to stop an intruder without putting others in your home or in adjoining apartments at unnecessary risk. I would take the Winchester to a compentent gunsmith to resolve the jamming problem. If your apartment is above the ground floor and not directly accessible to a fire escape there little risk that an intruder will enter through a window so all you need is an alarm on the door. You can pick up an easily installed, battery operated one at Radio Shack for around ten bucks that will do the job with no problem. The sound of the alarm will deter most would be intruders. Judicially placed night lights are also a good idea and cost little to operate. Think things out and formulate a plan for defending your domicile.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Albert Jade
A really shocking news, not because the man shot his own penis but bringing a gun in public place is prohibited. Accidents do happen, but we need to make sure that we handle it well. The man needs to be investigated because why did he bring that weapon in the public place.
Dude... It was in Arizona. Where do you get the idea that "bringing a gun in public place is prohibited" (sic)? Arizona is one of three states (also Vermont and Alaska) to allow the carrying of concealed weapons without a permit. Google. Try it.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

I agree use the shotgun. However, if you are concerned about the neighbors, use 9 shot low brass, close up it will do fine
Old 08-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

I like the 870 home defense model myself.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:49 AM
Typical Buck

Shotguns are great self defense weapons either inside the home or out. Winchester has some new loads out for personal protection that seem to have the appearance of be kind to your neighbor. PDX1 is for handguns and I don't remember the shotgun load but it's there. I have kids I don't get the luxury of having a shotgun out and about for home protection, even though they know not to touch them we all know curiosity is the mother of all .........
I use my revolvers plus I know when I put one in his midsection he's down. And the fact is your close enough with a shotgun that the pattern at 10 or less has just as much chance of missing because it hasn't opened up all that much. Giving a chance I'd use the shotgun. Now someone messing around in the yard is screwed.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

All my guns are kept in a locked safe. For home defense I have a 130 pound dog. That dog is awesome. He can hear a gnat fart in a hurricane.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bmgillum
All my guns are kept in a locked safe. For home defense I have a 130 pound dog. That dog is awesome. He can hear a gnat fart in a hurricane.
http://www.mercurynews.com/san-mateo...nclick_check=1
Old 08-15-2011, 01:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
Dude... It was in Arizona. Where do you get the idea that "bringing a gun in public place is prohibited" (sic)? Arizona is one of three states (also Vermont and Alaska) to allow the carrying of concealed weapons without a permit. Google. Try it.
Yup we can legally conceal carry here and many do. Not many shoot their penis off though. Must be we are smarter....or worse shots.