Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
new to rifle hunting >

new to rifle hunting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

new to rifle hunting

Old 06-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Spike

Default new to rifle hunting

Hi, I'm new to rifle hunting since the local WDNR changed my zone from shotgun to rifle. I am looking for a good deer rifle barrel for my TC Pro Hunter. I am considering buying a 7mm. However, I am wondering what the difference is between a 7mm or a 7mm-08? Or, would you suggest a different barrel? Your comments will be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

You will likely get 200000000000000000000000000 different responses to this question. It's more important to get what you want. There are several things to consider, recoil, ammo availability, accuracy, and so on.

I have a 7mm in a Rem 700 BDL and honestly haven't hunted with it, my brother used it for a few years but I have never hunted with it. I really didn't find it enjoyable to hunt with (recoil-wise) and there is limited bullet availability in the 7mm (.284) cal. That being said, the recoil isn't that terrible, just more than I really like. If bullet options are something that concerns you I'd look elsewhere. I have never shot a 7mm-08 but have always wanted one, have heard great things about them and they have less recoil but are still the same cal (.284) so again limited bullet availability.

I prefer the .308 and the .270 cal's myself for deer hunting and mostly use a .270 win or a 270 WSM for the past several years. Highly accurate, reasonable recoil, better bullet availability than the 7mm (more factory ammo options as well in most stores and the .270 Win ammo is cheaper than 7mm...while the 270 WSM ammo is as spendy as the 7mm).

Again...I could write for hours on the plus's and minuses of many calibers...I have a safe full of options many wouldn't consider god deer calibers that have taken many animal for me over the years and I enjoy having a wide variety of choices. If you are interested in the 7mm (.284) cal I would also recommend you also look at the 7mm WSM...very impressive stats and ammo is in the same price range as the 7mm Rem Mag...I personally would choose the 7mm-08 of the options you have provided though as they seem to be more accurate according to reports. I haven't found my 7mm Mag to be an extremely accurate rifle beyond 200 yards and it has a Rem Custom Shop barrel on it...just my 3 cents worth. I am done rambling now.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

I use a Browning X-Bolt in the 7mm08 caliber. It's a great round with only one downside. There isn't a lot of ammo available for it off of the shelf.

It's a caliber without a lot of kick, and is accurate.

Then again, as stated above, there are so many available cartridges available that will do the job well in Wisconsin it's pretty crazy. We don't need massive firepower to take down a deer. It's not often that many people take shots over 150 yards so we don't need super high performing calibers or overly heavy rounds to kill a whitetail. My father's buck was shot at 120 yards, and ended up going down after running 50 yards just like mine did after being shot at 45 yards. I had the larger 7mm08 and he had his 243.

If you can, go out and shoot some of the different rifle calibers if you can. Get a feel for how they kick, and whether or not you want something with that amount of recoil.

Honestly, If I had to choose a caliber again, I would go .308 so I had a larger choice of ammunition over the slim pickings I have in 7mm08. Aside from limited ammo availability, I love my 7mm08. It's not going anywhere outside of the gun range or woods for the foreseeable future.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ray,

Congatulations & Welcome !

A man of few words I see................................I like that !!! LOL

Sorry, I didn't see anything other than, "new to rifle hunting".

.30-06 barrel .......then you're a one gun hunter, ready for anything !

Last edited by Sheridan; 06-13-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

A .243 would probably be a little too light of a recoil for You...but I love shooting and hunting with my Browning A-bolt Hunter in a .243 with the Hornady 100 grain bullets!I'm thinking a 7mm-o8 would be a very good choice...less recoil and plenty of knock-down power on Whitetails...I'm using a Savage Model 111 GCNS 7mm-08 with the Accu-trigger using 140 grain shells,Millet rings and a Leupold Rifleman matte-black scope in a 3X9X40mm.....not many choices in bullets for the 7mm-o8 but what the heck,the Deer don't complain...You could even go with the Remington "Managed Recoil" shells and it would have even less recoil and a Youth Hunter could hunt with the very same Rifle!

If You reload You could change that bullet weight to say a 120-130 grain and I bet You'd have one fast bullet with good enough punch to slay any good size Doe or Buck!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 06-13-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Decisions, decisions!

I am assuming that you are hunting deer however, even if you hunt bear, any of the following will work. As has been said, you must determine your own recoil tolerance (low recoil rounds are available).

For bullet and load selection, 30-06 is tops. The 308 and .280 are close seconds. They will feel about the same and are all accurate.

If you can borrow some rifles, give them a try. Try different loads. It is worth spending the money on ammo now to avoid a mistake.

Enjoy the process! It is my favorite part of buying.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am assuming that you are asking about comparing a 7mm Rem. Mag. to a 7mm/08 Rem? If that is the case, the 7mm/08 would be my choice. The 7mm Rem. Mag. is a fine round as well, don't get me wrong. But in my opinion way, way beyond what is needed for killing medium game at distances that most of us can manage. Besides it packs a pretty good whollop on the recoil end ! As already stated the choices of 7mm/08 Rem. factory ammo are somewhat limited. Not to muddy the water, but if you are strongly considering being a one rifle hunter, it'll be darned difficult to top the 30.06 Spr. This is a cartridge that has a long history of being great for all sorts of game, and the variety of factory ammo abounds.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:43 AM
Spike

I vote for the 7-08. My wife has been shooting mine (Encore) with no problems. For Deer out to 300 yards, it is a fine choice with light recoil and good terminal effects. My view is that the talk about few bullet choices is overblown. Most of us - even reloaders - pick one weight and design of bullet for the majority of our hunting. Find which brand of ammo shoots best, and buy a supply. Unless you start prairie dog shooting, or decide to chase Grizzlies, that one load will serve you well. JMHO
Old 06-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Spike

I'd go for the 7-08
Old 06-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Spike

An accurate, afordable, reliable rifle for beginners would be a weatherby 7mm08 vanguard. I have used this rifle a long time and can prove every thing I have said about the rifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.