Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Best Conceal carry gun? >

Best Conceal carry gun?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best Conceal carry gun?

Old 06-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Spike

Default Best Conceal carry gun?

With WI about to pass conceal carry law. I am wondering what is a good conceal carry gun. I like glocks and I would like to get a Glock Model 30. but the price is out of my price ranges right now. I am still talking the wife into letting get a new tree stand this year.

thanks,
Schooter
Old 06-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I carry a Glock 23, don't know if it's the best, but I like it...
Old 06-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

Some people love ____________ (fill in the blank) while others hate them. There is no one gun that is best as each person has different sized hands, palms and fingers.

You stated that Glock is out of your price range at this time. How much extra funds do you have to practice? I would NOT recommend a .22LR for personal defense, but they are great for working on proper form and practice. A .22LR will eventually pay for itself in ammo savings.

I suggest taking certified courses and looking for certified instructors so you can make well informed decisions. For the certified courses, start with a course that covers the fundamentals (NRA Basic Pistol). Also take certified courses where the main focus is concealed carry, personal defense and how to help defuse a situation instead of escalating it.

Know the laws! Be aware that if you draw a firearm, you are likely to end up in court (civil if not criminal).
Old 06-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

like country said, youre gonna have a ton of opinions on carry weapons. Youre gonna have to decide how youre gonna carry to decide what kind of gun. Ive been carrying for prob close to 20 years and over time it really comes down to weapon youre confident in thats comfortable to carry. If a gun is such a pain to tote that you leave it at home, its not doing you much good.

if youre going to pocket carry, then youre taking one of the smaller autos like a keltec, micro eagle, or possible a snub revolver like an airweight smith.

if its ankle, again something small....usually a snub or a small auto, possibly one of your baby glocks.

inside the waist band you can pull off a bigger gun, but you need a good belt and to me, something more than about 26oz is just too noticeable to me to be comfortable. The small glocks are in the weight range but they are a little wide for some people.

I rotate my personal carry guns. Most days at work, and just in general, i almost always have a keltec 32 in my pocket. When i feel like having a little more firepower, ill carry a keltec p11 clipped into my waistband. Some times if im dressed up for a night on the town, ill have a taurus pro 45 or a smith airlite 357 on my ankle. Time to time ill carry a fullsized 45 or glock model 22 in my waistband, but its rare.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Less is more for everyday carry, in my opinion. I carry a Sig p238 everyday, and LOVE it! Some say a .380 ACP ain't enough, but I haven't run into anyone that wanted to get shot by one. Extremely easy to conceal, accurate and a delight to shoot. Well balanced, mechanically sound and teamed up with the right ammo, a well placed bullet (always the most important thing anyway) will stop any threat from a two-legged beast. From all my experience with CCW, which is far less than most on here I am certain, this is by far the best option for me. Not necessarily for you, but leaps and bounds above the rest for me.

Occasionally I will carry another gun in addition to this one, but more than often not. I frequently team up a S&W airweight .38 special with it, even though it is another small frame/caliber pistol. Even when carrying both of them, I am so comfortable with them on me that I will forget that I am carrying. Even more rarely, I will carry a various full size auto in addition to the p238.

As has been stated, you must be very comfortable with what you end up getting. Practice with it, both shooting and going through scenarios unloaded as much as you can. Nothing is more important than this. You MUST be extremely proficient with your CCW if you plan on it doing you any good, should the rare occasion that you need it present itself to you. I can't tell you what is best for you. I told you what is best for me, even with my large hands, but you have to get your hands on them to find out what is best for you. Glocks are great guns, but they simply do not fit me. They may be the bee's knees for you. Find the gun that fits you well in a caliber that you can handle proficiently and conceal properly and comfortably and then practice, practice, practice. You will be good to go.

P.S. DO NOT skimp on holsters...they are as important as the piece you are carrying.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

You've got some good advice so far. Another thing you may want to consider is how you plan on carrying the weapon concealed on your body. The location/types of holsters, etc. can sometimes limit which pistols are suitable due to size limitations.

I have a Walther PPK that I sometimes carry in my slacks pocket with very little printing. It's only a .380 but it is very concealable. I used to carry a Glock 17, 22 and 23 in fanny packs. They're a little heavier but have more stopping power and rounds. At work, I now carry a Glock 30SF and am very impressed with it. I could carry it concealed if need be with a shirt over it in a waist band holster etc. Hopefully this helps some.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:29 AM
Spike

Thanks everyone. I have gone through Wisconsin Basic Police Recruit Academy (I went into hospital security instead of Law Enforcement.). So I know and understand WI law when it comes to Use of Deadly Force. I plan on using a hip holster during the summer months and an ankle holster when wearing pants. I like glocks because the are simple to take care of and I have a had model 22 before. I it traded it for my 270 savage. I want something small but delivers stopping power. I do know that it is about shot placement. Before I would carry I will make sure that if the threat arise be able to put good shot on target.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Some people love ____________ (fill in the blank) while others hate them. There is no one gun that is best as each person has different sized hands, palms and fingers."
Country 1

This statement rings true for all firearms, but when it comes to handguns it is.................well, it's in the name "hand-gun".

First thing - it has to fit "your" hand !
Old 06-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

Many of the military and law enforcement are not taught the best techniques or fundamentals. It is alarming the percentage who do not have sound fundamentals and what they do not know. Look for a NRA Certified Instructor in Pistol in your area. It sounds like you may have a limited budget, but not all certified instructors charge to give instruction. Here are a couple of links of Todd Jarrett. If you look at 'From The Theater' on the Firearm Review Forum, there are four more links to Todd Jarrett on proper shooting form and techniques. Notice how little muzzle flip his firearm has and how his hands do not move. He is very efficient in how he does move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q02Zy-PrBOk
Old 06-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Country1,

All EXCELLENT instructional videos !!!

Thanks for sharing !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.