Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Should I Buy one of these Guns ? >

Should I Buy one of these Guns ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Should I Buy one of these Guns ?

Old 05-31-2011, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default Should I Buy one of these Guns ?

I have the opportunity to buy one of the following guns from a family friend before he auctions them off. Which would you choose and why ?

#1 Remington model 600, 6.5 mm, with Weaver scope 3x9
#2 Smith & Wesson 9mm Lady Smith, model 3913
#3 Ruger Super Black Hawk 44 mag 10.5" Barrel
#4 Winchester model 94 AEXTR 30-30, lever action, "Ducks Unlimited" gun of the year
#5 Winchester model 94 "Golden Spike Commemorative" 30-30

Thanks Guys !
Old 05-31-2011, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

What do you need in terms of your current "line-up" ?

Both of the Winchesters sure look enticing to me !
Old 05-31-2011, 10:51 AM
Typical Buck

More information is needed. What do you want/need the gun for?

They all have their places. Do you want a gun to use, one for show, or one for CC?

Two of them should be great showpieces, two are hunting weapons, and the lady smith should be obvious enough.

With all the choices you have, you should not go wrong in any case.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

All of them!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

My personal chooces would be the Rem. 600 and Ruger Black Hawk. The Black hawk is a classic Ruger design. The Rem. 600 in 6.5 Rem. Mag. was a bust almost from the get-go. Ammo was proprietary to Remington and was discontinued (along with the big brother 350 Rem. Mag.) after only a handful of years, but is now back on the market. Remington produced a Model 700 "Classic' in 6.5 Rem. Mag. a few years back and every now and then makes a run of factory ammo. Still tough to find. If you buy this rifle, gather up ammo as much and as fast as you can. I suspect Remington will quit making it soon if not already.

The "Commerorative" Model 94's ... do nothing for me. There are currently something like 55 different commerorative Model 94's out there. Only a few are actually "valuable". I think that the Statue of Liberty was a very limited run ( under 50 ???), hand engraved and has gold enlay. Probably retails around $10K. Only about half or so were engraved by hand. The rest by machine. Heck there are 3 different John Wayne models .... but I am waiting for the Rambo model myself . Last time I looked, the Golden Spike retailed for about $650 and the Ducks Unlimited for about $850. To me a "Ducks Unlimited" center fire rifle is sort of weird! Sort of equivalent in my mind of a RMEF "commemorative" .410 auto loader !!

But if you get a good price, buy them all.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

My choice would be #3 if you can only pick one. A reliable hunting piece. For all the reasons Mojotex mentioned, #1 might be nice to have in that it is different but, difficulty and expense of a limited ammo supply might not make it a smart buy.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Rem 600 is a great rifle that is no longer made.....
The win 94 AEXTR would be another good grab
Both if you can afford it...
The others don't excite me as the S&W and Ruger are easily found and the Win commemoritive rifles are way not my kind of gun
Old 06-02-2011, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

I'm pretty well set with the guns I have. I am really just looking because of the opportunity to buy at the "friends discount" rate. So any opinions are welcome.

Never thought of getting or pricing the ammo on the 6.5- Thanks
Old 06-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Remington Express 6.5 Rem. Mag. ammo is now priced at about $42/20. Others make the ammo but in general this ammo is in about the $60/20 range. Bulk brass is available for hand loading at a reasonable price And the other components (powder, primers, bullets) are easily found. I once upon a time hand loaded this ammo for a friend. The cost was no more than other similar case capacity rounds. But if you are not into hand loading, then this option is mute.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the right price I 'd buy them all...but thats just me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.