Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Redhawk vs. Blackhawk? . . .Worth Xtra $300.00 >

Redhawk vs. Blackhawk? . . .Worth Xtra $300.00

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Redhawk vs. Blackhawk? . . .Worth Xtra $300.00

Old 05-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Banned

Default Redhawk vs. Blackhawk? . . .Worth Xtra $300.00

I'm gonna get a .45 Colt. I want Redhawk/Blackhawk because I will ultimately shoot +P's in it. (Only frame Ruger that is recomended).
I can get the BH for roughly $733.00 and the BH for $445.00. That's almost $300.00 for double action, SS, Hougue grip, and a swing out cylinder. I'm trying to talk myself into the extra expense but for what? And should I?!
You know how it is with toys . . I can justify both guns in my
head . . . but that hasn't been all that reliable lately!
So what do y'all think?
Old 05-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Blackhawk for me...$400...50th Anniversary .44 mag...For hunting a single action is all that's needed...
Old 05-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

The redhawk might be a little stronger, the super redhawk stronger yet, not sure if they make the Super in .45 colt. the redhawk is a lot better if you want to scope it and is heavier which will make it recoil less.

OTOH, the blackhawk is plenty strong for anything you would want to use it for, is lighter, less expensive, has more barrel length options than the redhawk. Oh, and its much better looking too.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:40 PM
sm
Spike

The Blackhawk is a super gun. If I were going to spend that much more, I would look for a used Casull.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

The Redhawk and Blackhawk are the only guns (frames) recommended for the +P rounds. The new Vaquero's are not! The .45 Colt is only offered in BH and RH (as I read their website). I think I'm leaning towards the BH because of price, more barrel length options, and they have a model that is the "Convertable" . . . comes with a .45ACP cylinder for $65.00 more! It gives me many options. Legal for big game (+P), plinking with .45ACP (which I have lots of rounds for), and doing the cowboy action if I want!
Not real concealable however............ least of my wishes. In Wyoming, you can legally walk around with an exposed sidearm. So who cares, right?

Cowboy up!

Last edited by dig4gold; 05-27-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have both of them, though in .44 Rem Mag.

It really boils down to what you want to do with it. For hunting, you're probably going to be shooting single-action anyway. The old plowhandles aren't the greatest thing for holding onto, though. If you're going to shoot +P, you're probably going to have it wearing Hogues or something similar anyway.

If you're at all looking at it in a defensive role, I'll take DA over SA every time. Though one might hope something as substantial as the .45 LC would end a confrontation quickly, if you find yourself having to reload?
Old 05-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

I liked the feel of my super redhawk over my super blackhawk, i got small hands and super redhawk fit me better and recoiled less then the blackhawk but the blackhawk was given to me by my uncle after he died. It's got family history but i don't think i would have bought it otherwise.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

1) What feels best in YOUR hands?

2) Which will carry better, if you'll ever carry it? (Most cheap out on holsters so consider weight)

3) Do you need double action?

4) Grips are moot in the initial decision, since they're easily changed at little expense.

Now if you know you're going towards the hot 45lc loads anyways, why not simply buy a .454? Buy what suits the needs not what will make do. As for strength comparisons, the RH and SRH use the same cylinders so that aspect wouldn't matter. After all, it's the cylinder that holds all that pressure in.
Personally, the RH models are too large and lack the class and style of a fine SA.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

I started out years back with SBH .45lc, I started loading +p rounds. I started hunting with it, I realized I needed a scope to take full advantage on accuracy at distance.
There was no real good way to attach a scope, I did not want to use clamps. So I picked up a SRH .454 Casull and scoped it.
I hade trigger work done on both, I like the trigger on the SBH over the SRH. This lead to the deadly domino effect for more power and accuracy. I picked up a S&W .44 629 classic, and that lead to the S&W 500. The triggers on the Smiths are so much smoother than the Rugers.
If you really want to cowboy up I would find a older Vaquero .45lc. Mine has no problem with the +p rounds. And look at a .44 mag for hunting. My buddy hunts with a scoped Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter its a solid 100yd gun.

a little pic heavy....but we have fun

bb

SBH Bisley Hunter .44, SRH .454, S&W 629

Blackhawk Bisley .45lc, SRH .454

SBH Bisley Hunter .44, S&W 629

S&W 500

Old 05-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Redhawk in 41 Mag and love it. My BIL had an old Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag and he loved it. I think either a excellent revolvers, and unless you just have to have a DA, the Blackhawk would be good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.