Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remmington Managed recoil Ammo >

Remmington Managed recoil Ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remmington Managed recoil Ammo

Old 05-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Spike

Default Remmington Managed recoil Ammo

I tried doing a search and could not find this in the forum. Someone mentioned this load and I was wondering if anyone had any info on it? Does it work as advertised? I see alot of backorders so is Remington going to stick by it or stop making it?

Any opinions would be great. I was just thinking it would make a day at the range more enjoyable if this stuff really works.

Thanks
Old 05-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

It works just as advertised. My wife used it quite a bit out of her Ruger Compact .308 (snappy, short barreled bugger). No issues what-so-ever.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

Good form goes a long way in reducing felt recoil. Having the butt snug and firm against the proper part of the shoulder, correct balance and muscle tension, head position, standing or seated position, the correct grip and support hand/arm position really helps in reducing felt recoil. You will also be more accurate.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

I have used for my kids when they first started out. Does one heck of a job.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

According to my brother it works out quite well. He used the managed recoil ammo for the .270 for years until he moved away for work. He'd still be using it if he could make it back to go deer hunting.

Personally, I think you should get a gun that kicks less for yourself rather than use the reduced recoil loads. Managing the kick of your weapons is part of the hunt after all. Just my 2 cents on the subject.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

Don't you lose energy and distance by using these loads? Why not just use a smaller rifle?
Old 05-21-2011, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
Don't you lose energy and distance by using these loads? Why not just use a smaller rifle?

I always thought that less recoil meant less power until I started reloading. I have two diferent loads for my 3006, one with IMR4350 and the other with reloader 22. Both get the same volicity but the Reloader 22 load kicks a lot harder. I think it's all in the powder used.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used the "Managed Recoil" shells in my older Remington 30-06 Bolt-Action Rifle and I can tell You first-handed that I was impressed with how much less recoil I had in that Rifle....and I used it in a Rifle that was previously sighted in using the regular 30-06 shells and it only took me a few rounds to hit dead on starting out at 50 yards then I was putting 3 shots in a small circle out at 100 yards.The recoil was as light as shooting my Browning .243 Bolt-action Rifle and I didn't have to buy a different Rifle that had less recoil and the newer "Managed Recoil" shells shot just a little lower than my regular shells I had used in the Rifle before.Now You have to use the MR shells in a Bolt-action or pump Rilfe because it may not have enough power/recoil to kick the shell casing out of Semi-Automatic Rifle and it states this on the box of shells.I would highly reccomend the MR shells to anyone that is having problems with too much recoil in their Rifle or if they have a larger caliber Rifle and have a Younger Youth Hunter that needs to shot a gun with less recoil...and if You decide to go back with the regular ammo later on it will only be off a little bit.

I tried to get the Managed Recoil shells for my Savage 7mm-08 last year and they had sold so many of them that they were on back-order for over 2 months...I ended up using the regular shells and sighted my Rifle with them....when I run out of the last box I plan on getting the MR shells and I can let my Daughters use the very same Rifle with the benefit of less recoil and I know it won't take much to re-sight my Gun in again.

You can get the same results if You Re-Load your own shells....but like most of us we just don't have the time or shot that much to get into Re-loading so buying the Managed Recoil shells is a cheap and easy alternative to making a Rifle into a good accurate one with less recoil and if your more comfortable shooting with less recoil Your going to be a better and more accurate Shooter!

Last edited by GTOHunter; 05-22-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice to see that /most/ of the guys are actually answering the question that was asked. Advice about good form... not so much.

And, mc... Obviously, the answer to YOUR question is "yes, you do lose velocity, energy and distance." That's kinda the point. And, why not just buy a smaller rifle? Maybe it's not in the budget... Maybe the guy wants to get a "full size" rifle for a youngster, but, doesn't want full size recoil to scare the kid off... Maybe the guy has a favorite rifle, but recently suffered an injury such that recoil bothers him... There might be a variety of reasons. So, what's with the "rolleyes" emoticon? That's, in essence, a way to say "dude, you just asked a really stupid question." Kind of uncalled for.

Back to the original post, I'm a bit recoil averse, despite knowing proper form. I inherited a buddy's 7mm Rem Mag, but, it sat in my safe because I prefer shooting my .243... A couple years ago, I discovered the Remington MR loads. So, after a decade of gathering dust, I got my buddy's 7mm out of the back of my safe, had a new R3 recoil pad installed in place of the 30 year old original recoil pad that was very nearly as hard as a brick, took a box of the MR's to the range, got it sighted in, and the rounds worked great. Not too much more kick than my .243. Didn't take much adjustment to get it zeroed, and, nailed a doe, a buck, and a pig with it that season.

Remington appears to be sticking with the loads. I think they've been adding new MR listings every year. They've even got an MR load for the relatively mild recoiling 7-08...
Old 05-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
And, mc... Obviously, the answer to YOUR question is "yes, you do lose velocity, energy and distance." That's kinda the point. And, why not just buy a smaller rifle? Maybe it's not in the budget... Maybe the guy wants to get a "full size" rifle for a youngster, but, doesn't want full size recoil to scare the kid off... Maybe the guy has a favorite rifle, but recently suffered an injury such that recoil bothers him... There might be a variety of reasons. So, what's with the "rolleyes" emoticon? That's, in essence, a way to say "dude, you just asked a really stupid question." Kind of uncalled for.
First off, A kid should use a rifle that fits him. I stand by my post, use a rifle you can handle and it shoots loads its made to use.

Second, You sure are reading into the original post, Maybe, the reason is none of the above.

Third, every rifle has its pluses and minuses. if it kicks too hard use a lighter rifle or get a good recoil pad.

Alot depends on the game you are hunting, a lighter load that kicks less and has less energy and distance, may not be a good thing.

If its a favorite rifle, Try a (Sims) recoil pad and you will be surprised by recoil reduction.

THE "ROLLEYES" WAS JUST FOR YOU, JPSC !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.