Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sako 75 .280 or steyr .243?

Old 05-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

The 10/22 is a great semi-auto. Practice with what you will be hunting with as the load. Practicing with reduced recoil and then hunting with full power is not something I would recommend. Look at taking the NRA Basic Rifle and see how many rounds you will fire during the course. See if they will also work with you on accuracy and form.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is not much difference in the 270 and the 280. I have both, I have a Remington 700 SPS stainless 270 and I have a stainless Ruger M77 MKII 280, I perfer the 280, there is alot better bullet selection for the 7mm than for the 270, but you do need to hand load for the 280 to get the maximum benifit out of it, factory 280 loads are down loaded because the 280 was originally designed by Remington for there semi auto and pump rifles which can not handle the pressures of the bolt guns, therefore the factory loads are loaded weak to accomodate that, also the loadings listed in loading manuals are very conservative, loaded to its full potential, the 280 comes very close to duplicating the 7mm mag, with a shorter barrel and burning alot less powder. If you dont hand load a 270 is a better choice.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info on the Steyr........Same shop has a Stainless Browning X Bolt .243 Wood for $719 so i will check that out at the same time.

If I step up to a larger caliber I want to make sure the ammo is available so I'm assuming .270......06.....and .308. Is it all personal preferance or is there much differance between them? Am I missing anything else?

Thanks again
Old 05-19-2011, 03:36 AM
Typical Buck

Out of those three calibers I would go with the .308 because there is so much ammo available for it, and it's one of the best performing cartridges ballistically speaking.

The .308 also has less kick than the other two calibers.

Realistically though, all three options will get the job done.

I own a Browning X-Bolt in the 7mm08 caliber, and I love the gun. If you can, I would recommend going with one of that family of rifles. My father owns an X-Bolt in the .243 caliber, and both guns are good to shoot with while not weighing a ton.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tarheal3
Thanks for the feedback so far. Yes I looked at ammo today and it was not easy to find .280 and it was almost double the cost of .243. Has anyone had any experiance with the Steyr Pro Hunter as I'm still considering it?

I was looking at a few .270's today and they were all pretty nice Winchester 70, Browning A Bolt, Savage Classic. They all seemed fairly similar but thats only from looking and shouldering them. The worker mentioned practicing with reduced recoil ammo. Has anyone tried it and does it really work?

Thanks again
I would suggest checking out that Winchester 70 and the Savage. I assume the Savage has the accutrigger...great trigger. As others have mentioned, if you don't plan to hand-load, the .270 is going to be tough to beat. You will find negligible difference in the 3 calibers you mentioned (.270, '06 & .308).

My favorite of those is the .270. When it comes to those, it seems to me that it generally is a personal preference. You will find so many arguing ballistics and yada yada yada between the 3 stating that their favorite is the best, but they all come in pretty close, loaded correctly (once again, my opinion).

I shoot factory Remington Core-lokts out of my .270 with great results. Tried 6-7 different factory loads and this was the most consistent for my setup. Any improved results from hand-loading would not be profitable for me and my needs for the gun at this time. Good performance as is.

Now, for my .300 WBY MAG, it's a different story. I get pretty good performance out of some factory Hornady 180 gr SP's, but have a friend that reloads for me with 168 gr Barnes's, and they are mean! Don't hand-load myself...yet at least...so it saves me time and money to have a friend do it for me. I don't know all the other #'s on the loads, but it definitely works!

Now that I realize that I have gotten way off topic, I will stop rambling, and end by saying this...unless you reload yourself, or have a good friend that will do it for you, I would not recommend the .280. Great caliber, just hard to come by when it comes to ammo. The .243 is a great round, but MY PREFERENCE would be the .270. It is only that...my preference. But there ya go.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

I am a huge fan of the sako 75. One of the finest guns made. Hate it they changed it.

280 is an awesome round with much potential. I would go for it. Steyr? I don't know.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Spike

Well getting closer thanks to everyones comments. The Sako is really nice but I', just not keen on buying a 280 since I don't reload and availibility. If the Sako was another caliber it would probably have been done.

Now I'm at chosing between a .243 or probably a .270. Not sure yet. I think the .243 would be more fun at the range but the .270 offers more in the way of down the road applications in the field. I'm sure either way will work out.

Now I'm choosing between the rifles. The Steyr is still available (.243) but fir the same money so is the X Bolt or a Win M70. I like both of those also and all three feel great. The Steyr is synthetic stock but I prefer the look and the feel of wood. I need to re vistic a Savage i think it was the classic. I do remember really liking all three but something about the Browning and Winchester that I like.

Everyone has had great comments and all from different angles.

I hope last question for all but blue vs stainless? Is it worth the extra spend? I know it's easier to care for but is there a real issue with glare in the field? Any last thoughts I'm sure i will drag this decision out until Sunday.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I would go with stainless, I have never had any problem with glare in the field. I have a bunch of blued guns and I like all of them but if I buy a gun nowadays and have a choice between stainless or blued, I will pay a little more and buy the stainless gun.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by tarheal3
I do remember really liking all three but something about the Browning and Winchester that I like.

It's called "workmanship", better fit & finish !
Old 05-28-2011, 06:00 AM
Spike

Default ruger m77 vs x-bolt

hello all,
There has still been no decision here on the new purchase. I guess being patient........

I have eliminated the sako .280 due to ammo, and are not really considering the Steyr anymore.......

So I am still eyeballing the Browning x-bolt in .243.......semms like it would be a joy to shoot......it's ss also and at a $719 price tag not a bad deal

I also saw a Ruger M77 hawkeye standard in 06 for $589. I havn't had a chance to check it out yet but does anyone have any opinions on the Ruger vs browning in general?

I know the rounds are way different and not sure about using the 06 on a regualr basis for a range gun but i guess you couldn't go wrong.

thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.