Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
AR for defense >

AR for defense

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AR for defense

Old 05-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Palladin8
the DA would have no problem convicting you on murder charges if you were to shoot someone on your property that was at a distance over say 7yds. That is the legal distance where shooting someone in self defense is justifiable. Anything over that and you are looking like you were intentionally out for blood.
That is so freaking funny!!

Nothing wrong with having an AR15. If the SHTF, it would be a great gun to have but it is probably a little to much to stop someone from stealing your stuff.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

The laws vary so much by state, let alone the cities, you need to check into the laws for state and city. May look in the hometown forums on ar15.com. I'm still learning the laws here in colorado, but in Oklahoma, there isnt a 7yd rule or anything of the such. You have to be aproached by leathal force, overwhelming odds(10 guys lets say), or someone known to be convicted of a violent offense(IIRC) to be ok to use lethal force. Still isnt cut and dry, as an over zealous DA will still try to make a name for himself. Out in the liberal northeast, I would go with the assumption they are like canada, no rights to protect yourself, just dial the 911 dial a prayer hotline and hope.
Now I await my stalker to come attack me....
Old 05-07-2011, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some of you guys should stop before you type, and remember that someone relying on your advice could very well be killed by it.
Seriously, some of this advice is beyond ridiculous.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:12 AM
Typical Buck

Most of us have been advocating not shooting, learning the laws, and practicing. Avoidance countermeasures have also been brought up. Practical ideas that can keep the OP safe and sound, as well as keeping them out of jail.

The only "bad" advice seems to primarily come from some odd 7 yard rule that I've never heard of. However, the advice given outside of that isn't any different than what the rest of us said.

I'm just not seeing any obviously bad advice having been given in this thread at all.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

....Bigtim... From American Rifleman...May 2011. "Seven Things You MUST Know BEFORE Drawing Your Gun... www.YourFreeCarryReport.com. Get it and read it. Before you step over the edge..
Old 05-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
Some of you guys should stop before you type, and remember that someone relying on your advice could very well be killed by it.
Seriously, some of this advice is beyond ridiculous.
Now that is some good advice right there. I think the Membership as a whole, should just STFU and trust you to lead us to perfection with all of your wisdom.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sfury
Most of us have been advocating not shooting, learning the laws, and practicing. Avoidance countermeasures have also been brought up. Practical ideas that can keep the OP safe and sound, as well as keeping them out of jail.

The only "bad" advice seems to primarily come from some odd 7 yard rule that I've never heard of. However, the advice given outside of that isn't any different than what the rest of us said.

I'm just not seeing any obviously bad advice having been given in this thread at all.
In addition to the 7 yards, you have the sound of the shotgun action deterrent, the shotgun unlikely to harm at long ranges (you are liable for any shot that leaves the barrel), several doom and gloom prosecutor opinions, highly lethal assualt weapon comments, bogus premeditation comments. That all adds up to some pretty bad advice.
I made no comments on the good advice given.

coloradoluckydog; I hope you get back on your meds soon. In addition I do wish you luck on your next reading comprehension test as it seems you have a difficult time understanding the words I have typed.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

Wisconsin has some horrible laws in regards to self defense.

Even though I plan to get a CC permit, I also know that I hope I never need to use it. As a former boy scout, I believe in being prepared. I'd rather deal with legal issues than being dead.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm still waiting for someone to come back and defend the statement that 7 yards is "the legal distance where shooting someone in self defense is justifiable."
Old 05-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

ick, wisconsin, even though its pretty country and I used to live there, they are just too northeast minded and restrictive on self protection/castle laws. Its a different mentality out here, thats for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.