HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   gun range (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/343657-gun-range.html)

bigtim6656 04-21-2011 05:54 AM

gun range

We leased a property last year for our business. Due to some issues with who owned it we backed out and moved. Well the actual owner wants us back out there and it fits our needs.

One thing I noticed and came up with last year is one of the buildings and the fact the property is long, narrow and in the country it would fit great for a range. My thought is some long outdoor shooting lanes, with some nice targets and benchs. The closes range though free is a mud pit and has no targets and the benches are falling over.

I figure do the outdoor range, should be easy I have a backhoe and enough dirt around, then if it bring some money in, put a indoor range in the building, which is about 50 yards long and 20 or so wide.

Is there is thing I am missing besides a berm, benches, target, have a liabity waiver and open it up to the public. Also where would be the best place to get info on setting up a indoor range?

scottb3472 04-21-2011 06:44 AM

The NRA has great info on setting up ranges, they also have grants available for building ranges if you are looking for funding.
One thing you need to think about though, is if you are setting it up for public use, you will need to look at the info available for the americans with disabilities act. It will give you all the info you need for wheel chair access and disability regs for bathrooms, or accessible outhouses.

bugsNbows 04-21-2011 07:42 AM

Insurance??? Indoor air quality controls?? Noise controls??

Gremlin1104 04-21-2011 08:51 AM

Gum Range on Leased Land

I would be concerned about investing on leased land that I do not own. You will be making property improvements that is not yours. You also will probably need to get the owners permission to construct the gun range. You should also check with your local zoning (probably county) planning and zoning department - this may not be a permitted use.

Pawildman 04-21-2011 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gremlin1104 (Post 3800778)
I would be concerned about investing on leased land that I do not own. You will be making property improvements that is not yours. You also will probably need to get the owners permission to construct the gun range. You should also check with your local zoning (probably county) planning and zoning department - this may not be a permitted use.

.... Excellent advice. Also consider disgruntled neighbors even if you get zoning clearance. Not a lot of people want guns being fired in their area on a regular basis... The leased land deal is a HUGE concern.

Camosteel 04-21-2011 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pawildman (Post 3800842)
.... Excellent advice. Also consider disgruntled neighbors even if you get zoning clearance. Not a lot of people want guns being fired in their area on a regular basis... The leased land deal is a HUGE concern.

All very true. I have also heard about enviromental agencies becoming concerned with lead contamination on these sites.

country1 04-22-2011 07:42 AM

IMO, the air quality issue and lead issue are two of the biggest factors. Be aware there will most likely be lead splatter which can contaminate the building walls, ceiling, floor, structure, etc. Then there is the lead dust and unburned powder issue. There could be EPA problems on the land now. IMO, I would not do anything on land I did not own and land which has not had a recent environmental study for any contamination (land and water - surface and ground).

I have spent many hours on gun ranges. How are you going to protect the building from a misplaced shot? If the bullet leaves the range, where will it go? Go to any indoor gun range and look at the steel plates on the ceiling and walls. If these plates are painted, you can tell where a bullet has hit them. Also note the condition of the floor downrange. Even outdoor ranges are installing steel above and to the sides of the outdoor range.

An indoor archery range may be something with less risk.