HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Choke for Trap (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/343592-choke-trap.html)

sportsman22 04-19-2011 03:20 PM

Choke for Trap

So I been researching what choke you should use for trap and really don't get any solid answers. Anyone have any advice on choke selection?

I just bought an Win SX3 and used it for a trapshoot fundraiser, and I shot 33 of 50 (30 mph crosswinds may contributed), but it seemed a lot of my misses should have been hits. I was using a full choke at 16 and 22 yards. I shot equaly at both distances.

Any advice?

gunnermhr 04-19-2011 03:27 PM

With an over under I had Improved modified and full

jeepkid 04-19-2011 03:49 PM

I always shoot with a Briley full, shot a 25 at 16yrds and 21 at 25yrds last week with it...

BCRules 04-19-2011 05:53 PM

At those short yardage, I would never use modified or full. If you want your score to be high.

Only time I use full is when I am at 30yards.

I would opt for Improved cylinder or even skeet at 16 yards.

If your trying to improve your shooting, use full.

jeepkid 04-19-2011 07:47 PM

23 and a 22 tonight with it. I tried a modified for a while and didn't like it.

Pawildman 04-20-2011 05:37 AM

Trapshooting is longrange shooting with a shotgun. Even singles or doubles at 16 yds., the average shooter is trying to break birds at 30-35 yds. from the traphouse. When you move back on the handicap shoots, the distance becomes even greater. MOST of the guys I have shot with use Full choke. That is what I use too. It's important to know what your trap gun likes to shoot best, also. Like your rifle. Check your gun for patterning at 30 yds. You definitely don't want a shot pattern with a big hole in it. Shot size can play a big role here too. Some guns will shoot 7 1/2 good, some like #8's better. I just advised a shooter on another forum to keep their head down tight to the stock. Too many people want to raise their head off the stock at the shot to see the bird break. Nearly always results in a miss. By far, however the most important thing is practice, practice, practice....

Sheridan 04-20-2011 08:59 AM

Trap shooting is like watching paint dry........ a least shoot wobble. LOL!

Sporting clays is much more practical for hunters. IMO

Here is no doubt you need to pattern your gun for the various distances you are going to be shooting at, if you want to break more clays.

However, nothing replaces being a good shot, which comes from practice (whatever your game) !!!

gunnermhr 04-21-2011 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by BCRules (Post 3800257)
At those short yardage, I would never use modified or full. If you want your score to be high.

Only time I use full is when I am at 30yards.

I would opt for Improved cylinder or even skeet at 16 yards.

If your trying to improve your shooting, use full.

Let us know how many 25 straights you shoot with a Skeet choke while shooting Trap:confused0024:

JW 04-22-2011 07:02 AM

My trap gun has IM and F.

I use the Improved Modified as the main stay tho.

JW

legion 04-30-2011 08:44 PM

I shoot a turkey choke. I like to keep it interesting. I'm not saying I'm great at trap. My best game ever was a 24, and I usually shoot in the high teens when I'm warmed up for the season. (I usually shoot in the low teens at the beginning of the season or on windy days.) I tried shooting a modified once to see if it improved my score, and I shot the same.