Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
first time rifle owner >

first time rifle owner

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

first time rifle owner

Old 04-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Spike

Default first time rifle owner

I'm new to gun ownership, just bought my first rifle this weekend. It's a remington 700 .270 WSM with a Nikon Prostaff scope. I bought it from a private party and can't wait to try it. Any suggestions or tips on learning how to shoot it safely. I'm in Rochester area. THANKS!!!!
Attached Thumbnails first time rifle owner-270-wsm.jpg  

Last edited by KevinNY; 04-17-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 04-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

awesome choice!

safely? treat it like it's always loaded, whenever you handle it, check to see whether it's loaded or not, everytime!

have fun!
Old 04-17-2011, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get yourself good hearing protection. Try different brands of ammo. Rifles have an accuracy preference for specific loads. The fun part is finding out what those loads are. Also, invest in a good cleaning kit.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take a hunters safety course ASAP,you'll get alot valuable info on gun safety.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Spike

Thanks very much for all your help! I am new to this and really want to learn how to shoot! Thanks!!!!
Old 04-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Spike

A gun and hunting safety course is a must for the newbies; welcome to the sport!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Great choice! And take the hunters safety course because if you go hunting you'll need it to get licenses. To be safe just don't ever point it at anything you don't want to shoot, don't load it until you're ready to shoot and you'll be okay.

(I just bought a 700 SPS Buckmasters .270 and it shoots cloverleaf groups and is a super nice rifle).
Old 04-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Spike

Thanks again for the advice. The funny thing is I'm older guy in his fifties and never fired a rifle but always wanted to. So I bought this rifle to give me the incentive. I want to use it but its hard to find an instructor. Gun clubs in Rochester need a person to sponsor you or are skeet. I just want to PAY an instructor in this area and learn to shoot it. Thanks again everyone for all your help!!!!
Old 04-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Caldwell Leadsled to sight my guns in...its much easier on the shoulders and after You have it sighted-in correctly You can shot off a rest or bag?Hornady and Winchester make some good shells for the .270 WSM...be prepared to pay a hefty price on the .270 WSM shells,mine usually run around $35.00-$40.00 per box of 20 shells...if You know how to Re-Load shells it will save You a lot in the long run.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

Look to see if any of the rifle clubs have a public day. If they do, ask if an RO (range officer) will work with you. Go to the NRA website and see if there are any NRA rifle courses in your area (look for the NRA Basic Rifle). I would also suggest getting a rifle in .22 Long Rifle (get the same action as your .270 WSM - bolt, single-shot, etc.). A .22LR can pay for itself quickly in ammo cost savings. Once you have taken a rifle safety course, take the hunters safety course.

I recommend caution if you use a Leadsled or any device that is solid against the butt of the rifle. Some have cracked their stocks using these type of rests.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.