Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

WSM RSAUM owners unite!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:08 PM
  #1  
Giant Nontypical
Thread Starter
 
salukipv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 6,575
Default WSM RSAUM owners unite!

Do you have a WSM or RSAUM?

Which cartridge/rifle combination?

Hate? Like? Love? Why??
salukipv1 is offline  
Old 04-05-2011, 08:24 PM
  #2  
Fork Horn
 
South33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NW Montana
Posts: 159
Default

I have the Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow .325 wsm. I initially bought it for an Alaska moose hunting trip & this gun ended up dropping two monster Yukon moose. As soon as I got it home to NW Montana I put it to work in the fall bear season, & it took down a beast on the second day back. I love the .325 caliber but the claw extractor on the bolt tends to be a little finicky which turns out to be a problem when you have a moose or bear standing in front of you... not sure if it is just my gun or the whole caliber?? Overall I am very pleased w/ this rifle as I am with all my model 70's (best model ever imo) but not sure if I had to do it over again I would do the same...

-South
South33 is offline  
Old 04-06-2011, 03:03 AM
  #3  
Fork Horn
 
mnprohunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 476
Default

I have the 270wsm and I love it. I like the shorter bolt throw, its low on recoil, and has good performance. Little spendy on ammo, the only downside I see, but overall, I would buy this caliber again for sure.
mnprohunter is offline  
Old 04-06-2011, 04:45 AM
  #4  
Fork Horn
 
streetglideok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 360
Default

Originally Posted by South33
I have the Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow .325 wsm. I initially bought it for an Alaska moose hunting trip & this gun ended up dropping two monster Yukon moose. As soon as I got it home to NW Montana I put it to work in the fall bear season, & it took down a beast on the second day back. I love the .325 caliber but the claw extractor on the bolt tends to be a little finicky which turns out to be a problem when you have a moose or bear standing in front of you... not sure if it is just my gun or the whole caliber?? Overall I am very pleased w/ this rifle as I am with all my model 70's (best model ever imo) but not sure if I had to do it over again I would do the same...

-South
Is your gun a New Haven gun, or a Carolina gun? Check the manufacture location on the barrel near the caliber marking. Ive heard the New Haven models were getting a little rough at the end of production, tooling was wearing out. It would have to be your gun, just may need breaking in more, or a little cleanup. My 300RUM, longer version of that case, was a little rough feeding when I first got it(model 70 classic). Its now feeding better, as its worn in some.
streetglideok is offline  
Old 04-06-2011, 06:11 AM
  #5  
Spike
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 25
Default

For some reason I'm drawn to the 300 WSM, and if I were to hunt where I could use the extra range and power of a beefed up '06 I'd love to have one. I've seen a couple people refer to it as a .30-06 on steroids, and I like the idea of that. Just a weird personal preference thing for me.
infmphunter is offline  
Old 04-06-2011, 06:24 AM
  #6  
Fork Horn
 
South33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NW Montana
Posts: 159
Default

Originally Posted by streetglideok
Is your gun a New Haven gun, or a Carolina gun? Check the manufacture location on the barrel near the caliber marking. Ive heard the New Haven models were getting a little rough at the end of production, tooling was wearing out. It would have to be your gun, just may need breaking in more, or a little cleanup. My 300RUM, longer version of that case, was a little rough feeding when I first got it(model 70 classic). Its now feeding better, as its worn in some.
Yep, it is a New Haven model... I hope it needing to be broke in is the fix because I really like this gun. Thanks for the info.

-South
South33 is offline  
Old 04-06-2011, 08:06 AM
  #7  
Giant Nontypical
Thread Starter
 
salukipv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 6,575
Default

Originally Posted by mnprohunter
I have the 270wsm and I love it. I like the shorter bolt throw, its low on recoil, and has good performance. Little spendy on ammo, the only downside I see, but overall, I would buy this caliber again for sure.
Care to share the make/model?
salukipv1 is offline  
Old 04-06-2011, 08:09 AM
  #8  
Giant Nontypical
Thread Starter
 
salukipv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 6,575
Default

Originally Posted by streetglideok
Is your gun a New Haven gun, or a Carolina gun? Check the manufacture location on the barrel near the caliber marking. Ive heard the New Haven models were getting a little rough at the end of production, tooling was wearing out. It would have to be your gun, just may need breaking in more, or a little cleanup. My 300RUM, longer version of that case, was a little rough feeding when I first got it(model 70 classic). Its now feeding better, as its worn in some.
I'm considering a winchester 70 featherweight stainless.
I've heard the new ones are rather nice.
I'd assume controlled feed would be nice on the WSM's, so I was a little surprised to hear of rough feeding, etc...
salukipv1 is offline  
Old 04-06-2011, 01:20 PM
  #9  
Fork Horn
 
stapher1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Slippery Rock, Pa.
Posts: 393
Default

I use my 300RSAUM for target and groundhogs. With a 110gr V-Max, 30ft gray matter spray pattern is very common.
stapher1 is offline  
Old 04-06-2011, 02:42 PM
  #10  
Fork Horn
 
mnprohunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 476
Default

oh, sorry, forgot that part, its a Remington 700 XCR
mnprohunter is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.