HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Looking for Handgun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/342991-looking-handgun.html)

btnovotny 04-04-2011 11:22 AM

Looking for Handgun

I am new to the handgun world and would like to start with a .22 pistol of some sort because it's really cheap to shoot. I will eventually get a 40 or 45. So my question is what should this beginner get ?

salukipv1 04-04-2011 11:56 AM

I'd just start with a 9mm

scottycoyote 04-04-2011 12:43 PM

do you want a gun thats going to be similar to the 40 you get down the road, like a practice gun? or do you just want a nice 22. If you just want a nice 22 id recommend a browning buckmark.

Bible_Man 04-04-2011 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by scottycoyote (Post 3794932)
do you want a gun thats going to be similar to the 40 you get down the road, like a practice gun? or do you just want a nice 22. If you just want a nice 22 id recommend a browning buckmark.

That's a good point. A Buckmark is a great target pistol and you can plink all day without burning through a ton of cash. But, if you want something that is going to be similar in form to what you will eventually get, then the Buckmark, or another similar target .22 is not the way to go. There are endless options when it comes to .22 pistols. All the way from a derringer (don't even think about it!) to a 1911 style. The Sig Mosquito is a decent option if you are looking for something closer to a full size semi-auto pistol.

Or, if you are going the .45 route, I'd definitely suggest the 1911 format, and you can find plenty of moderately priced .22's in that field.

Blackelk 04-05-2011 04:07 AM

Ruger 22/45 is a great entry level semi auto pistol. Besides being a accurate pistol you can practice with it enough to hone your skills before stepping up to a larger caliber. I can't tell you how many rounds I've sent through mine without any issues what so ever. I also have a nice Ruger Mark III but they cost a bit more.

Backwoods7 04-05-2011 08:08 AM

X2 on the ruger both the standerd mkll and mklll and 2245 are all outstanding guns. The buckmarks another good choice but i like the rugers better. Be leary of the sig mosquitoes i had one and it handled great but it never would shoot right. Also if your new to handguns look into a revolver the ruger single six is a good gun. Also a 4in 38 would be a good starter

btnovotny 04-05-2011 01:53 PM

Thanks guys. I am just looking for a .22 to start with. Then expand to a few more this fall or next spring. I'll take a look at the rugers and buckmarks

RobertSubnet 04-05-2011 04:07 PM

x3 on the Ruger 22/45. Due to its 1911 shape it is great to practice with; it is also very accurate. My only complaint is that the grip is some sort of polymer. I would have preferred metal but obviously that would increase the price.

Dis/assembly is very easy, look on YouTube for videos on this.

NCZ09 04-05-2011 05:56 PM

I'm fairly new to handguns, and my wife didn't really want anything to do with any of my guns. Until I bought a Buckmark last summer. She told me a couple times at the range that we need another one because she didn't want to share. .22s are just a joy to shoot. I have to be honest I bought the Buckmark because I wasn't crazy about the way the Rugers looked. Both the Ruger and Browning are fine guns. My nephew just picked up a used Smith-Wesson a couple months ago, and that also seemed like a decent gun. Sorry I don't remember the model of that one. Do your research. Buy one! Good Luck!

Centaur 1 04-05-2011 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by btnovotny (Post 3795416)
Thanks guys. I am just looking for a .22 to start with. Then expand to a few more this fall or next spring. I'll take a look at the rugers and buckmarks

They're both great guns, if you choose whichever one feels better in your hand I think that you'll be happy. If you're looking for more of big gun feel, look at the Walther P22. It won't be as accurate as a Ruger, but it works similar to larger pistols and it's a blast to shoot. The Sig Mosquito is a nice gun to shoot also. The only hesitation I have is my buddy runs an indoor range that rents guns, the mosquito has spent more time returned to the factory than on the range. It got to the point that they just retired the gun, it wasn't worth all the hassles.