Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.40 S&W or the .45 ACP >

.40 S&W or the .45 ACP

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: .40 S&W 165gr. or .45 ACP 230gr.
.40 S&W 165gr.
34.00%
.45 ACP 230gr.
66.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

.40 S&W or the .45 ACP

Old 04-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
In reality, I carry a .380 MUCH more often that I even carry the .45acp.

I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to CCW, where I'd much rather have a "pocket pistol" like my Kel-Tec P-3AT .380Auto than have more firepower but in a bigger package.
Ditto...I carry my Sig P238 (1911 style, which is unbeatable to me) in .380 everyday. In addition, on most days I also carry a S&W Airweight .38. Both are small...one rides in my pocket (SIG) and the other on the small of my back...or shoulder harness...or ankle...but usually the small of my back.

Since i got the P238, I have carried it everyday...it is by far the best CCW I have ever owned. Everyone has what they like, and this is it for me!
Old 04-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I carry both. A 40 Sig by work duty carry with Ranger SilverTips and 45 ODC with Black Talons or CorBons.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

And personally, based on my experience, a handgun is FAR superior to both shotguns and rifles in self-defense/home invasion situations, especially in urban environments.
Now that's down right funny!!

I chose the 45. The only reason I chose the 45 is because I just had to make the same decision recently and I bought a 1911 after a ton of homework.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

I chose the 40 because of capacity but both are excellent rounds.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

What world do you live in that a burglar is so determined and self-defense conflicts last so long that you would NEED more shots than a pistol, OR have time to "get back to your shotgun or rifle"?

Pull a gun and take a shot on a home invader and they're taking off. This isn't the movies where storm troopers in full tactical gear invade your home with automatic weapons...

And personally, based on my experience, a handgun is FAR superior to both shotguns and rifles in self-defense/home invasion situations, especially in urban environments.
You obviously dont have a lot of experience, and have not thought through quite a few situations that may occur in your domicile.

For your safety I do hope you will think about how you would go about defending yourself and loved ones against multiple assailants, assailants that are under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, etc, etc.

Lastly, I will ask you what world do you live in that only has non determined burglars intent on breaking into houses, with its occupants present, that do not have intentions of bodily harm or worse?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
yep, but folks look at ya funny carrying a 458 socom chambered AR around in wal-mart!
So true!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hurricanespg
You obviously dont have a lot of experience, and have not thought through quite a few situations that may occur in your domicile.

For your safety I do hope you will think about how you would go about defending yourself and loved ones against multiple assailants, assailants that are under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol, etc, etc.

Lastly, I will ask you what world do you live in that only has non determined burglars intent on breaking into houses, with its occupants present, that do not have intentions of bodily harm or worse?
If you really want to test out how well I've thought through my home defense strategy or test out my experience, then by all means, come on by my house uninvited some night... Heck, come on by whether I'm home or not, my fiancee will be happy to ventilate you with 17 9mm JHP's, even if I'm not there.

Long guns have been proven time and time again to be LESS effective for home defense than handguns. The speed and mobility of a handgun always trumps the increased firepower of shotguns and rifles. Dead is dead.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you really want to test out how well I've thought through my home defense strategy or test out my experience, then by all means, come on by my house uninvited some night... Heck, come on by whether I'm home or not, my fiancee will be happy to ventilate you with 17 9mm JHP's, even if I'm not there.

Long guns have been proven time and time again to be LESS effective for home defense than handguns. The speed and mobility of a handgun always trumps the increased firepower of shotguns and rifles. Dead is dead.
Dont get all pissy its not very becoming, not to mention its not something you would do with me in person.

I would like to see any documentation supporting your last assertation. Of course you dont have any, but thats really my point.
Again I will reiterate the only advantage a handgun has over a shotgun/rifle is the ability to conceal. You can choose to argue if you want, but the facts are the facts. End of story.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a 18 inch barrel pistol grip 12 ga that would beg to differ with you.

The statement that "my handgun is just to fight my way back to my shotgun" has been around for years. I carry a handgun everywhere but if I needed a weapon at home, I would be reaching for the 12ga.

You should not be inviting folks over to your house when your girlfriend is home alone.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 04-06-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

A handgun in the hands of law abiding citizens is a reactionary firearm. Concealable when out in public and easily accessable from the bedside ,either from the top of the nightstand or drawer. Rifle and Shotguns are not by nature in most civiian applications and one standing next to the bed can easily knocked over when someone reaching waking quickly from a sleep. Not to mention thier's a reason loaded longguns in most place leaned up against a vehicle is illegal. It's not a safe practice.
If time allows retrieving a shotgun is fine. What is practical and works in real time is different than most of the armchair rambo crowd think works.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.