HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   What to offer for Mod 70 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/342613-what-offer-mod-70-a.html)

stapher1 03-27-2011 11:50 AM

What to offer for Mod 70

Got a call from a friend, and his girlfriends widowed aunt is looking to sell some of her husbands guns to help pay for his funeral. My friend said that he went to her house to look not think he'd find anything worth buying so he was floored to find 2 Win. Mod 70 Pre-64's! One is a standard model 1950 in .270 and the other is a Featherweight 1957 in .270.

I'm interested in the standard and from what my friend told me it is in nice shape but the blueing is about 70% with a little rust but not pitted. The stock has some marks but no dings. He said the gun is nice enough to restore but not worth enough in it's current condition to be worth the prices seen on gunbroker.com (which i think are too high anyways, IMO). I trust what my friend says 110%. So just wondering what would be a fair number to offer for it considering you were to have restored.

Pawildman 03-27-2011 01:21 PM

.... I recently bought a 1952 M70 Standard in .270 Win. in about 90% condition... good blue, all sights and hood, steel buttplate, original finish with usual handling marks, no serious blemishes. $950.00. I saw several at a gunshow yesterday, and they ranged from $975 to $1400. But I didn't see anyone leaving with them, either. It's hard for me to buy guns at the values established in the Blue Book. Nobody wants to sell for those prices, I've found out.
.... Don't know if this has helped you any, but I thought it may give you a better idea....
.... Another thought.. serious collectors really don't get too excited over restored guns.. they usually want them in original condition. However, if you are going to keep the gun for yourself, you would be looking at a re-blue and a stock stripping and refinishing at the bare minimum. Just some things to think about...

longknife12 03-27-2011 02:23 PM

I always bought my M70's for shooters....do NOT referb...you will love em as they are! I paid from $450 to 600 n I'd thinks 750 is fair. Dont be shocked if they hold out for 900........these 'widows" ain't as naieve as you think!
Dan

hometheaterman 03-27-2011 08:28 PM

IMO, I'd say $900-950 is fair for both of you. Any less, and I think she is getting ripped off, and much more, and I'd say it's too high for you. That's just my opinion though.

statjunk 03-28-2011 04:55 AM

I'm a huge M70 fan, but I think the pre-64 market is way out of whack. I honestly don't even want one. They are exceptional guns especially for their time but with todays machining I don't think the prices are within reason.

I'd offer close to $500. That is what the action alone would be worth in pristine condition.

One last thing, you'd be surprised what it takes to make a pre-64 a collectors item. Any modification even the slightest and your rifle goes from high dollar to junk status. Things like sights, sight hoods, stocks, bedding etc...

Tom

stapher1 03-28-2011 12:56 PM

[quote=statjunk;3792051]I'm a huge M70 fan, but I think the pre-64 market is way out of whack. I honestly don't even want one. They are exceptional guns especially for their time but with todays machining I don't think the prices are within reason.[quote/]
I really agree, and aside from the claw extractor it's bears a strong resemblance to the 721 & 722. I think anyways. I already have a post 64 and it's really nice but the prices of the pre 64 is hard to swallow considering the obvious change.:pcwhack:

[quote]
I'd offer close to $500. That is what the action alone would be worth in pristine condition.[quote/]
That's the number thats been rolling around in my head but it nice to get more opinions

[quote]
One last thing, you'd be surprised what it takes to make a pre-64 a collectors item. Any modification even the slightest and your rifle goes from high dollar to junk status. Things like sights, sight hoods, stocks, bedding etc...[quote/]

I was told the gun has everything on it, and a little bonus it still has the weaver scope from when it was originally bought:cool2:

Vapodog 03-28-2011 07:33 PM

$700 wouldn't be a dishonest offer at all.

Prices on these rifles vary all over the map....some think they are worth more and some less.....

Pawildman 03-29-2011 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Vapodog (Post 3792456)
$700 wouldn't be a dishonest offer at all.

Prices on these rifles vary all over the map....some think they are worth more and some less.....

..... Correct. But here's what I'll do... All you guys out there that have pre-64 Model 70 Standard grades in original 90% or better condition that will sell them for $750.00 give me a PM. We can do business....:party0005:....

TRACKER 03-29-2011 07:51 AM

Get me the number and I,ll check themout for ya .
I,ll give you a call after I buy them .. LOL..
JUST KIDDING ..
Kind of a catch 22 position .
Hate to steal them , but everyones looking for a deal .
Wait tolong and someone will buy them ...Let us no...

Ruger-Redhawk 03-29-2011 11:34 AM

They are only worth what you're willing to pay for them. Some people are looking to retire after making a killing on the Pre 64's.Find someone with the blue book of gun values and that will get you on target, then you can take it from there.