Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
7-08 Ammo??? >

7-08 Ammo???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7-08 Ammo???

Old 03-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Spike

Default 7-08 Ammo???

Looking for any ideas and reports on what some of u guys and girls have used in your 7-08 , will be used for deer hunting, so far I have hornday sst , and rem accutip 140gn ,, dont know much about fusion or win soft point bonded ?? any suggestions would be great.....
Old 03-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use the Remington Express 140 gr. PSP Core Lokt's. I have gotten complete pass throughs on every deer I've shot with them. I don't see a need for the premium priced bullets on a deer. They're a pretty "soft" target...
Old 03-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

The Remington Accutips are made by swift and they are great bullets. They are the Scriocco bullet. My friend works for Swift and has told me they are contracted with Remington.
As for factory ammo I have tried the Federal Fusion in my .280AI and there were pretty darn accurate. I mostly handload so these were the only factory rounds I have tried.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

My younger brother has used the 140gr CoreLokts since the early 80s...He's killed at least 150 deer with that gun...
Old 03-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ipscshooter
I use the Remington Express 140 gr. PSP Core Lokt's. I have gotten complete pass throughs on every deer I've shot with them. I don't see a need for the premium priced bullets on a deer. They're a pretty "soft" target...
+1 I have yet to find a reason not use these on deer. I am planning on loading 120gr Ballistic tips just to try. If you gun shoots the Corelokt's well and you don't reload you won't be disapointed.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

I use Winchester Ballistic Silvertips. More power in a round than you need, but it tears a deer apart.

Seeing as I have few options for 7mm08 ammo in my area, that was the round I picked.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife uses the cheapie Blue Box Federal Power Shok stuff. It's 150 gr. I believe. Works fine in her Ruger compact.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kinda sad that there's not a lot of grain choice for the 7mm-08 Rifles?I have a new Savage Model 111GCNS Bolt-action Rifle wood stock with the Accu-Trigger and I was shooting the Remington 140 grain Core-Lokt's but ran out after sighting my gun in and ended up getting the Winchester Super X 140 grain Power-Point bullets,was considering the Remington "Managed Recoil" shells from the start but they were completely out of them and they were on Back-order for several months...again even the Managed Recoil shells were still in 140 grains!

The 140 grain bullets did fine and I took down a nice Big Doe opening morning (saturday) of our 2010 Deer Season,she was with 4 other Deer and I shot her broadside at about 50 yards with a complete passthru shot and I got a nice 8-Point Buck the following friday.The Buck came off a steep hillside to the right of my 17' ladder stand,I stood up in my stand and looking down over him and decided when he stopped and ate another acorn I would put a bullet in him straight down behind his head thru his back into his vitals.When I shot he went straight down in his tracks..I waited a while and got down to admire him and field dress him while my Buddy drove the 4-wheeler to come get me,when we got back to Camp and hung the Deer up I cleaned him out and while skinning him I felt a lump between the ribs and hide...my 140 grain bullet had made it all the way thru until it stopped between the skin and rib.I saved the bullet for a Souvenier.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

ipscshooter
When I had one this is what I used. I handloaded some noslers but never tried them.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't overthink this.

I've been using cheap 100 gr. CoreLokts in a .243 for YEARS to take deer and antelope. Never a follow-up shot required.

Unless the 7mm-08 is an inferior cartridge to the .243, I'm extremely skeptical that CoreLokts or similar non-premium bullets wouldn't work well in your 7mm-08.

Concentrate on finding something that groups well instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.