Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Barnes Bullets????? >

Barnes Bullets?????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Barnes Bullets?????

Old 03-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Spike

Default Barnes Bullets?????

Was thinking of trying Barnes copper bullets TSX for the 2011 deer season, has any one had any experince shooting them and any problem with copper build up in barrel and how was there performance on agame and how did they group at the range??
Old 03-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used them for a couple of years in a 25-06 and a 30-06... no problems what-so-ever. They shoot great at the range, and kill deer without issue. I have also not had extra copper cleaning concerns in the barrel. IMO, they are a great choice.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

I swore off barnes until TSX came out. Fouls less than partition. Really impressed by thier performance on targets. Still havn't shot anything with em however.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot barnes out of all my big game rifles, very accurate and doesn't make venison ruining exit wounds if it hits a rib or shoulder. The only other bullet i use is Berger for big game, but they seem like they are a excellent L.R. hunting bullet but punch some big holes under 200yds
Old 03-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Spike

Barnes is all i use now no extra copper in the barrel i load .243,.270 and 30-06 great knock down power i have shoot elk,mule deer and antelope
Old 03-22-2011, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alot of people like them, personally I dont! They do shoot good, but I work in a taxidermy shop and have seen several animals come in through the years shot with them, where the bullets failed to expand properly. Last year my boss shot a spike elk with a 375 H&H, using 300gr TSX. It took 4 shots to kill the elk, we retrieved 2 of the bullets both had very little expansion, one had bent looked like it had enter sideways. Also a good friend of mine used them on a moose two years ago with the same kind of results. This is just a couple of examples I have personally seen, I can post pictures of the bullets, I believe my boss kept them. I have heard stories with people having great sucsess with them, even know people that will only use them, I wont!
Old 03-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Spike

If u have some pics of the bullets from the elk please post them I would like 2 see them ... thanks
Old 03-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by White Duck
Barnes is all i use now no extra copper in the barrel i load .243,.270 and 30-06 great knock down power i have shoot elk,mule deer and antelope
what have you used the 243 on? results? how about the 270?

planning to use 243-85gr TSX on antelope.

btw I'm not surprised with the 375-300gr TSX on elk...that's a cape buffalo style load.

Also the TSX has 99-100% weight retention? aren't they kinda designed to punch through? they expand, I forget down to what velocity...either way penetration is what they do right, not blow up inside an animal.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
what have you used the 243 on? results? how about the 270?

planning to use 243-85gr TSX on antelope.

btw I'm not surprised with the 375-300gr TSX on elk...that's a cape buffalo style load.

Also the TSX has 99-100% weight retention? aren't they kinda designed to punch through? they expand, I forget down to what velocity...either way penetration is what they do right, not blow up inside an animal.
I have also seen a 120gr. TSX out of a 7mm Rem. Mag. do the same on a large mule deer. They do not have consistent expansion in my opinion. I will stick with the Nosler Partitions for large animals and Remington Core-Lokts for deer size animals, they have been arround for about ever and in my opinion cant be beat, for price or performance.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by abolt913
If u have some pics of the bullets from the elk please post them I would like 2 see them ... thanks
I will get my boss to bring them to work tomorrow so I can get some pictures of them and post them for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.