Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
bushmaster jamming >

bushmaster jamming

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

bushmaster jamming

Old 03-13-2011, 03:02 AM
Spike

Default bushmaster jamming

hi, i recently purchased a new bushmaster a3 , it has feeding/jamming issues which started with the first magazine in it . it will jam about evry third round or so . has any body had such an issue ? im hoping its just the cartridge. ive only tried wolf fmj 's thus far . this is the first ar type rifle ive owned or used and am pretty depressed w/ its performance thus far , help please
Old 03-13-2011, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

4 threads on this? Wow! Must really be jamming a LOT! LoL Too dry? Try new ammo.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jamming keyboard too?
Old 03-13-2011, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

It would help to know a few things:

What brand ammo are you using?

Assuming that you cleaned and lubed it prior to use?

OEM magazines?
Old 03-13-2011, 05:31 AM
Spike

i was using wolf 55 grn. fmj , the gun is brand new , i didnt lube it except for the barrel , oem 10 round mag. i tapped the mag to seat the shells , ????
Old 03-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mtair123
i was using wolf 55 grn. fmj , the gun is brand new , i didnt lube it except for the barrel , oem 10 round mag. i tapped the mag to seat the shells , ????
"Brand new" doesn't mean that it's clean - quite the opposite is usually the case. If your bolt carrier group is bone dry, it's going to take more force to cycle it, particular if it's not worn in yet. I've seen quite a few Bushmasters in particular short-cycle when they're dry.

As well, that laquer-coated, steel-cased Wolf cheapo stuff is the last thing I'd ever run through my own ARs. The combination of a dirty chamber, dry bolt carrier group, and steel-cased Wolf ammo are three that I'd eliminate before I got too crazy about the magazine being the problem.

After it's broken in though, magazines will become your most likely culprit if you're having issues.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:40 AM
Typical Buck

Well Ridge beat me to it. Magazine swap first then start investigating.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Magazine issue could be the problem. A few years ago I bought a Bushmaster Varminter did the same thing with quality ammo. Seems like the issue was a leak in the bolt carrier key. Sent the upper back to them and they fixed it no charge...I wasn't very happy to say the least.

Since I got it back I run the entire bolt carrier with a generous dose of Mobil One synthentic oil. Haven't had a problem and the gun is very accurate.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

here was my experience and understanding to the problem, we had many a range sessions where the shop gun smith would beat a round out of the gun with a rubber hammer.

Ars and more so maybe bushmaster like to run nice and clean and wet, clean the crap out of it, and then clean it again. They like oil, oil the crap out of it and add some more, we ended up with oil marks on our stock and ended up coating it for a uniform look, which made it look better.
For your safety, sanity and peace of mind(yes I know this will cost a few hundrad bucks) but come on you bought an AR15 so not like your poop, go out get about500 rounds run it through the gun. No not in one day, in say a week or two. After 500 rounds the jamming should stop. I doubt it is a mag issue, if the mags are not cheapos. We had it happen to use when we bought ours with every one of our 6 mags.

After the cleaning, oiling and loaded, do not just stick the mag in there, the gun and mag is metal smack it in there via smacking the bottom. They like to be beat on some times LOL.

Some and I am surprised no one here did not tell you this already, but some will say scrap the wolf ammo and go federal or what ever, I say keep it, we shot wolf through ours all the time, it was never the cause of a issue, we started running it through our ruger 9mm and had but one issue, I had two 30 round mags, one a high price mag and one cheapo mag, oddly it did not like to feed through the 30 round high priced mag, when I ran some other stuff it did the same, a friend told me some mags, mainly pistols do not like the coated casings.

Might get some 9mm wolf for my glock
Old 03-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Spike

Wolf ammo,thats probably the cause of your problem,try better ammo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.