Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What makes it a better rifle? >

What makes it a better rifle?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What makes it a better rifle?

Old 03-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Fork Horn

Ruger, Remington, Savage, etc. they will all get the job done, I think a lot of people worry too much about the rifle, and not enough about the optics that they will put on that rifle. Failed optics have probably ruined more hunts than failed rifles!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Look at the materials used (metal, plastic etc), the "finish" on the parts (smoothness, sharp edges, tooling marks) and the how the action feels when you function it. Things you can't tell are how accurate it will shoot.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Marketing.

I think most rifles shoot better than the people that shoot them, so unless you are shooting long range, most rifles are accurate enough for regular hunting. Trigger pull, reliability, etc... are other factors that influence my decision. I haven't ever owned any bad rifles. Just my .02.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GRIZZLYMAN
I haven't ever owned any bad rifles. Just my .02.
X2 Same here.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your right CommonSense....good Optics can make a lot of difference in a Rifle also,when You have a both they make a Killer Combination for sure!
Old 03-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by warbirdlover
and the how the action feels when you function it
Tikka has one of the smoothest actions out there but IMO the rifle just seems cheap.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by GRIZZLYMAN
Marketing.

I think most rifles shoot better than the people that shoot them, so unless you are shooting long range, most rifles are accurate enough for regular hunting. Trigger pull, reliability, etc... are other factors that influence my decision. I haven't ever owned any bad rifles. Just my .02.
I believe this to be true for me as well.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

+ 1

"I think most rifles shoot better than the people that shoot them, so unless you are shooting long range, most rifles are accurate enough for regular hunting. Trigger pull, reliability, etc... are other factors that influence my decision. I haven't ever owned any bad rifles. Just my .02."

Grizzlymam

It’s the Law of Diminishing Marginal Returns…………for me anyway !
Old 03-15-2011, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
Tikka has one of the smoothest actions out there but IMO the rifle just seems cheap.
The Tikka action is very smooth....as well having a good barrel and trigger to boot. I do agree with the rest of the rifle feeling cheap though.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Other Considerations

Most of the previous posts are on point. However, there are other things to consider when selecting a rifle.

Most modern rifles are more than capable than the people who use them.

Before buying, handle the rifle. See how in fits in the amount of clothing you will be wearing while hunting. The consider the type of hunting. Is weight an issue? How far are you likely to shoot? Will you be out in the weather? How fussy are you about keeping the stock pristine?

As to scopes. Stay away from the "name brand" scopes that have a cheaper line which is made in China. You do not have to spend a fortune to get a reliable scope but, particularly on a larger center fire, if you want it to last buy the best quality you can afford.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.