HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   The custom rifle is ordered...click for details (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/341281-custom-rifle-ordered-click-details.html)

schoolcraft 03-02-2011 06:35 PM

The custom rifle is ordered...click for details

Well, I took my Stiller Predator left hand magnum action for a 5 hour drive down to New Braunfels today to Hill Country Rifles.
First of all, top notch customer service! I don't think Matt Bettersworth will mind me saying that...especially since he helped me out. He answered all my MANY questions (poor guy) and made some great suggestions about getting the rifle just like I wanted it and NOT what was going to make him the most money.

CALIBER - Kept going back and forth between the 7mm. Rem. Mag. and the .300 Win. Mag. After lots of debating, I chose the 7 Mag. For 99% deer and hog hunting and MAYBE an elk hunt somewhere down the road, I think I made a good choice. I think a 160gr. Accubond or TSX would ruin an elks day if I ever get the chance, and 140's or 150's on deer and hogs has always been devestating.

STOCK- McMillan Remington Hunter. Shouldered several and the monte carlo cheekpiece on it just FIT. Ordered it in olive drab green with black spider web accents. He had a rifle with the same finish at the shop so I actually got to see exactly what it will look like without having to cross my fingers and hope I like it.
I ordered it in the EDGE model, which shaved about 8oz. off the weight.

BARREL - I went back and forth between 24" for portability and 26" for maximum velocity. I wound up splitting the difference and ordering a Hart stainless 25" #4 contour barrel with flutes. Just really liked the way the flutes looked, and it shaved a little more weight off. He had a rifle with a #5 contour fluted barrel to look at and it was JUST a tad on the heavy side.

When it was all said and done, Matt's best guestimate was a finished, unscoped rifle weight of about 6 3/4 pounds....So hovering around 8lb's scoped with ammo.

Now comes the hard part.....WAITING. Should take about 5-6 months to complete, but I think it will be well worth the wait.

I am EXCITED!!!!

jeepkid 03-02-2011 07:20 PM

Sounds like a winner! Congrats!

okgobbler 03-03-2011 07:38 AM

Nice components. Should be a shooter.

Sheridan 03-03-2011 09:31 AM

Schoolcraft,

Sounds like you had a great experience, so Congratulations on you new custom 7MM RM !

As we say around my house; I'm too EXCITED to sleep !!!

Wishing you only the best with it !

bugsNbows 03-03-2011 01:02 PM

That sounds great! Good luck. 5-6 mos. isn't that bad (really).

Wolf killer 03-03-2011 03:43 PM

Waiting will be the hard part, sure sounds like a sweet rifle.

jeepkid 03-03-2011 05:30 PM

6 months is pretty quick...I waited 11 for my AI, a buddy waited 14 for his Robar.