Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
best bang for the buck in youth rifle for deer? >

best bang for the buck in youth rifle for deer?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

best bang for the buck in youth rifle for deer?

Old 03-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default best bang for the buck in youth rifle for deer?

I'm thinking of getting a low recoil..accurate and most reasanably priced

maybe a package gun with sope allready on...

what does all suggest please..243 cal would be my choice..

got twin grandaughters that may start this year...10 yrs. old and very small/thin..need to find something before fall..maybe a H&R or nef ???
Old 03-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Answered your post on the H&R/Nef in the firearms review section.

That being said, there several great reasonably priced options out there right now. My favorite option is the Savage Model 10 they sell at Walmart or Model 110 if you want a long action. This comes with a Simmons scope, or some of them I've seen have a Bushnell new, and a sling. This rifle also has the famous accu trigger which is great. It's also very easy to change the barrels on these should you ever want to rebarrel. This is just an all around great rifle that will last a lifetime, as well as be very accurate with one of the best factory triggers you can get. The scope's aren't great, but should last for a while until you can upgrade. These sell for $387 at our closest Walmart and $397 at one about an hour away. In any case every time I've seen them they have been under $400. Really a great buy.

I'd stay away from the Savage Edge, not because they are bad, but because the above Savage Model 10 is a ton better gun and not much extra money.

Another good option is the Marlin XL or XS 7 depending on what caliber you get. These run in the $300 range without a scope and are also quality guns. You should handle these and the Savage and see which you like best. The Savage fits me better, but it may be the total opposite for someone else. These also have a similar trigger to the accu trigger. These are also known for being very accurate guns. I do want to add that I've never owned or shot a Marlin XL or XS 7, but I've handled several and read lots about them.

Then another good option is the Stevens 200. This rifle is basically the old style Savage Model 110. These are a good solid no frills rifle that will last a life time. That being said, for the $300 these seem to normally sell for I think the current model Savage is a better buy for less than $100 more with a scope and the accu trigger. The Stevens 200 has gone on sale for $179 at Academy Sports in 7mm-08 and I think .270 a few times. This is a great price if you can pick on up for this, I'd do it.

I'd stay away from the NEF single shots for the reasons listed in that other thread. Not to mention, who really wants to hunt with a single shot? With a Nef, the kids will probably outgrow it very quickly where these other rifles are something that they can use for quite a while and not really outgrow.

The other rifle I'd stay away from is the Remington 710/715/770 series. They are pretty much junk.

You can also get some great deals on scopes on clearance right now if you get a rifle without a scope and need to scope it.

As far as caliber, I think for kids .243 is a great choice.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I were looking for a youth rifle at the moment, I'd seriously consider the Howa 1500 Youth. After handling one at my local 'smith, I found it to be every bit at smooth as my Weatherby Vanguard (which shouldn't be a surprise). As well, the ability to switch to the included adult-sized stock later is a nice feature. Seems I remember the price without a scope to be in the neighborhood of $465. I wouldn't recommend a package scope, you're more than likely going to end up replacing it anyway. As far as calibers go, I'd recommend the .243 for deer, the 7mm-08 if elk are a possibility.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would take a look at the Ruger M77 Hawkeye Stainless Laminate Compact, It is more spendy than the mentioned above guns, but its for your grand daughters, who you said was very small and thin, it would be the perfect rifle. It is a very small and light gun, it has a 16.5" barrel and only weighs 6.25lbs in the 243 cartirdge. Ruger makes very durable guns that hold there value well, in my opinion.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

.243 is a great cartridge choice. Id also look into a Model 7 they're built on the Model 700 action but a shorter and more compact rifle. But IMO a single shot H&R in .243 would be a fine choice for a beginner. Also stay away from package deals such as the Remington 770 as the rifle (IMO) is junk and so is the $30 Bushnell scope sitting on it. A Nikon Prostaff is a fine scope and is fairly cheap at $100-$130.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:12 AM
Fork Horn

let me run this idea past ya people...give me your Gods honest opinion!!

their mother (my daughter in law) has a 243...what make I'm not sure...here is my thought...she doesn't use it too much (once or twice to my knowledge)
take the girls into a gunshop...have them cut the stock down and add a Sims recoil pad...99% of the time they will be in a box blind/vehicle.....they could use for deer and also go coyote hunting with dad (my son) (he goes a lot...shot like 12 this year)...an adult rifle that is fairly heavy that could be cut down to "FIT" them...allreday sighted in...good scope on it.....heavier gun= less recoil with say 100 grn. bullet...with sims pad on the felt recoil would be very minimal...I'd flip the $ for this whole thing as I want them to enjoy shooting/hunting!!!

also If an adult wants to use it they can..kinda short like a mini 14...but doable...if they want a longer pulll as they grow simply purchase a new stock for it!!

am I thinking wrong here or is it a good idea???
Old 03-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a good plan to me but check the make/model. You may can buy a youth model stock for it.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pretty much what we did.

Originally Posted by farmdude01
let me run this idea past ya people...give me your Gods honest opinion!!

their mother (my daughter in law) has a 243...what make I'm not sure...here is my thought...she doesn't use it too much (once or twice to my knowledge)
take the girls into a gunshop...have them cut the stock down and add a Sims recoil pad...99% of the time they will be in a box blind/vehicle.....they could use for deer and also go coyote hunting with dad (my son) (he goes a lot...shot like 12 this year)...an adult rifle that is fairly heavy that could be cut down to "FIT" them...allreday sighted in...good scope on it.....heavier gun= less recoil with say 100 grn. bullet...with sims pad on the felt recoil would be very minimal...I'd flip the $ for this whole thing as I want them to enjoy shooting/hunting!!!

also If an adult wants to use it they can..kinda short like a mini 14...but doable...if they want a longer pulll as they grow simply purchase a new stock for it!!

am I thinking wrong here or is it a good idea???
When my older twin sons (now 20) started hunting, one used my 308 (Mohawk, customized), that was much like a Remington Model 7. I loaded light loads with 150 gr. bullets and he had no problems. The other one was not as strong, and had trouble handling the weight of my dad's Savage 110 .243. I got a lightweight synthetic stock (think it was Butler Creek) and that really helped him. With that gun, he shot the biggest doe anyone in the family has ever shot. You could go with putting the .243 that you have in a light, synthetic stock, with a thin recoil pad. When the girls grow, you could put a thicker pad on. Just a thought.
Attached Thumbnails best bang for the buck in youth rifle for deer?-dscf0004.jpg  
Old 03-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 13pointjomc
Sounds like a good plan to me but check the make/model. You may can buy a youth model stock for it.
called my son and the .243 is a youth/womans (remington model 7) gun but it has like a 13" LOP
so probably would need shortening..take it gun shop...shorten as needed... add a sims pad and would be good to go...probably need a "grind to fit pad" I think the slip one looks like crap...........they'd be all set then!!
Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are right on with the need for "fit". In my expereince this is the most overlooked aspect of my firends' setting up their kids. A replacement stock for most rifles is n ot a bank breaker unless you go for fancy wood. As for the 243 Win. It'll work fine for deer sized game, however I am a fan of the 308 Win. as a mild recoil option. Just an opinion. As for the comments on the NEF Handi ... I agree. My No.1 buddy bought one each for his boys as they reached "hunting age". One was a drop dead shooter. The other was not. Trigger on both were terrible. Don't get me wrong. The Handi is not a bad buy at all, but you get what you get. Unless the initial $$$ issue is the driver, I'd go for a bolt action?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.